Dining Plan Questions

hortonhearsawho

Original Poster
I've been reading lots of posts here about the dining plan. We are doing this in December.

I've read a couple of posts saying they pool the credits together and that it can be "stretched" to include more meals if you purchase the kid's meal separately and then use this meal for a different TS meal.

I have also read that sometimes a family "shares" the appetizers, entrees, & desserts and they will allow you to do that without hassles. (All you can eat excluded of course.)

Will they allow this at all of the TS restaurants or only some?

Do you foresee Disney changing these policies in the next month or so?

Can someone share exactly what Disney considers a snack? I've heard that some of the resorts are more lenient than the parks....is this true?

Will you share any experiences that you've recently had that are the opposite of what I have posted?

From my point of view, my husband and I almost always share a meal together when we eat out. Not because of expense but because of the huge portions of food you normally get at a TS restaurant.

Also, we often split a kid's meal between my 2 youngest because of the same reason.

Finally, I would hate to "plan" using the credits pooled only to find that everything is different than what I had taken as possible only to find it truly impossible.

Thanks so much!!!:sohappy:

miksad

Dining Plan Question

I have another Dining Plan question. Can you add the Dining Plan to an existing reservation, and if so, is there a "cut-off" date after which you cannot? Thanks in advance.

JPVonDrake

I'll be happy to answer your questions based on "official policy." Do keep in mind that not all policies are always enforced to the letter, hence what you have "heard" may have been allowed in some cases but not others.

hortonhearsawho said:
I've read a couple of posts saying they pool the credits together and that it can be "stretched" to include more meals if you purchase the kid's meal separately and then use this meal for a different TS meal.

When you check-in all of your family's meal entitlements are pooled together for each room. Meaning if for example you have a family of 2 adults, 1 teen, and 1 child (3+ years old) and you are staying 6 nights, then your room will have a pool of 24 table service meals, 24 counter service meals, and 24 snacks (4 guest x 6 nights) to be used by anyone in the room, anytime during your stay until they are depleted or until midnight on the date you are scheduled to check-out. Once you check-in, there is no difference between the child entitlements and the adult entitlements. If a child between the age of 3 and 9 years does uses a meal entitlement, they are however, required to order off the child menu if one is availiable.

You can simply elect to split your check and have some guest at the table pay cash (children, friends, etc) and some guest use the meal entitlements. Just be sure to inform your waiter BEFORE you order.

hortonhearsawho said:
I have also read that sometimes a family "shares" the appetizers, entrees, & desserts and they will allow you to do that without hassles. (All you can eat excluded of course.)

Will they allow this at all of the TS restaurants or only some?

Sharing of meals is sometimes discouraged by some locations, but not officially restricted. This policy will be up to the individual restaurant. Everyone attending an "all you care to eat" menu location will be required to pay or use the meal entitlements.

hortonhearsawho said:
Do you foresee Disney changing these policies in the next month or so?

Any Disney policy is subject to change without notice.

hortonhearsawho said:
Can someone share exactly what Disney considers a snack? I've heard that some of the resorts are more lenient than the parks....is this true?

The offical list of snacks are:
Frozen Ice-Cream Novelty, Popsicle or Fruit Bar
Popcorn Scoop (single serving box)
Single piece of whole fruit
Single serving Grab Bag of Frito-Lay's Chips
20 oz Bottle of Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite
24 oz Bottle of Dasani Water
Medium fountain soft drink or apple juice

Other snack items found at select counter service locations in both Disney Resorts and Theme Parks will be noted on the overhead menu boards.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

JPVonDrake

miksad said:
I have another Dining Plan question. Can you add the Dining Plan to an existing reservation, and if so, is there a "cut-off" date after which you cannot? Thanks in advance.

First let me state that the Disney Dinning Plan can NOT be sold separately and is only availiable on the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dining Vacation Package. This package includes your resort room, a Magic Your Way Theme Park ticket of your choice, and the dinning plan for the length of your stay sold as a total package price.

If you are currently booked on a Magic Your Way Vacation Package then yes you can upgrade your package to the Magic Your Way Package Plus Dinning to include the meal plan. You must do so at least 3 days prior to arrival.

If you are booked on a room-only reservation you cannot just add the meal plan. You can however cancel your room-only reservation and rebook your stay as a vacation package including your room, a Magic Your Way theme park ticket of your choice, and the meal plan for the length of your stay. This must be done at least 5 days prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties.

If you are taking advantage of a discount room offer on your room only reservation you WILL NOT be able to carry over this discount to your package. There may however be a simular discount package offer, just ask if there is a package upgrade to the discount offer you are on*. Also note some room-only discount offers have more restricted cancellation penalties and policies.

Lastly when on a package you can choose ANY Magic Your Way Theme Park ticket, including a one day one park ticket, as long as everyone in the room is on the same package and ticket options.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

*Note: Currently there are no package upgrade to Passholder discount offers, DVC point stays, or most Cast Member discount offers. Almost all PIN offers and general public offers will have a package upgrade offer, based on availiablity. There is a AAA discount offer on vacation packages but only if you book your package directly with a AAA Travel Agent, and not through Disney.

DisneyinKC

My wife and I went in September and used the dining plan. Some restaurants worked better for sharing meals than others, such as, Planet Hollywood and ESPN club. The portions were large and considering the appetizers and desserts were included, we could not finish two whole meals at either of those restaurants. We tried splitting the meal at Sci-fi but the portions were small and it was not satisfying. All restraunts on the plan were very helpful with the plan, and even counter service was easy.

Another tip for saving money or pooling meals is to order a counter service double cheesburger and an extra bun, then use the condiment bar to load up each cheesburger. This works especially well at Pecos Bill's because their condiment bar is so nice.

One thing to consider is what to do with the meals you don't use, you don't want to have a large number of unused meals at the end of your stay. You can upgrade to some dinner shows or higher end restraunts by using two meals from the plan. Here is a link to the partcipating restaurants http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw/images2003/languagespecific/eng/nontheme/tickets/DiningLocations.pdf

DME

interesting about the dining plan we noticed last month, it's good for popcorn, but not a pretzel. It's good for a red apple but not a green one. They were very selective as to the actual piece of fruit you could get.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom