Dining plan group gratuity

disneybirthdaymagic

Original Poster
Hello,

My family will be going to Disney in October. We have three separate parties, with three separate rooms. There are 7 of us total (3 separate checks). Two rooms have the meal plan and one does not. My father-in-law is overly concerned about the group gratuity and trying to separate us for meals because he does not want to be forced into paying the 18%. He plans to go to the same restaurant and he and his wife split one meal. So my question is...

Do they add the 18% to each check based on the entire total of all 7 people? Say, 18% of the group total of $400 ($72.00 tip divided by 3 checks for $24.00 each)
OR
Do they add the 18% to each check based off of that parties check total? Such as,
18% of check one - $100 ($18.00 tip for check one)
18% for check two - $150 ($27.00 tip for check two)
18% for check three - $150 ($27.00 tip for check three)

I've been to disney with the meal plan many times, but never going with separate parties. I know that the 6 dollars difference between split 3 ways or individual tickets isn't a big deal to most people, but my father in law is exceptionally cheap. I feel like you shouldn't go to Disney with the expectation of it being cheap, but he's trying his best to be frugal.

Hockey89

Hello,

My family will be going to Disney in October. We have three separate parties, with three separate rooms. There are 7 of us total (3 separate checks). Two rooms have the meal plan and one does not. My father-in-law is overly concerned about the group gratuity and trying to separate us for meals because he does not want to be forced into paying the 18%. He plans to go to the same restaurant and he and his wife split one meal. So my question is...

Do they add the 18% to each check based on the entire total of all 7 people? Say, 18% of the group total of $400 ($72.00 tip divided by 3 checks for $24.00 each)
OR
Do they add the 18% to each check based off of that parties check total? Such as,
18% of check one - $100 ($18.00 tip for check one)
18% for check two - $150 ($27.00 tip for check two)
18% for check three - $150 ($27.00 tip for check three)

I've been to disney with the meal plan many times, but never going with separate parties. I know that the 6 dollars difference between split 3 ways or individual tickets isn't a big deal to most people, but my father in law is exceptionally cheap. I feel like you shouldn't go to Disney with the expectation of it being cheap, but he's trying his best to be frugal.
I would be shocked if they didn't add 18% to everybody's check... I feel for the servers already...

Weather_Lady

I would be shocked if they didn't add 18% to everybody's check... I feel for the servers already...

Ugh, me too. If someone is unwilling or unable to pay the standard gratuity for good service, they really shouldn't dine out. I feel badly for the servers, and for the OP and other family members who have to put up with this.

If I were you, OP, I'd consider paying the gratuities on his meals yourself, to avoid embarrassment if your father-in-law stiffs the waitstaff. If your in-laws are splitting a single meal, the gratuity isn't going to be much anyway (keep in mind, though, that they'll only be able to do that a la carte places -- anywhere that's a buffet or family-style is going to charge them both!), and that way you won't have to say anything to him directly that might create tension... just let them exit the restaurant first, toss a few dollars on the table by their check as you make your way out, and carry on. :) Whether you want to call it karma or divine providence, I believe your good deed will not go unrewarded.

Last edited:

Hockey89

Ugh, me too. If someone is unwilling or unable to pay the standard gratuity for good service, they really shouldn't dine out. I feel badly for the servers, and for the OP and other family members who have to put up with this.

If I were you, OP, I'd consider paying the gratuities on his meals yourself, to avoid embarrassment if your father-in-law stiffs the waitstaff. If your in-laws are splitting a single meal, the gratuity isn't going to be much anyway (keep in mind, though, that they'll only be able to do that a la carte places -- anywhere that's a buffet or family-style is going to charge them both!), and that way you won't have to say anything to him directly that might create tension...
Agreed 1000000000%... The worst

Weather_Lady

Agreed 1000000000%... The worst

To their credit, the OP was incredibly diplomatic about it in his/her post, referring to the father-in-law as frugal. However, there's a difference between frugality and cheapness. Ordering a hamburger instead of a steak, or dining at counter service locations, or bringing your own sandwich with you to the park instead of buying lunch, is frugal. Refusing to pay the standard gratuity to a server who relies on tips as the majority of their compensation, when there was nothing deficient about the service you received, is rude at best, and tantamount to theft of services at worst.

Last edited:

Hockey89

To their credit, the OP was incredibly diplomatic about it in his/her post, referring to the father-in-law as frugal. However, there's a difference between frugality and cheapness. Ordering a hamburger instead of a steak (or dining at counter service locations instead of table service, to sidestep gratuities altogether) is frugal. Refusing to pay the standard gratuity to a server who relies on tips as the majority of their compensation, when there was nothing deficient about the service you received, is rude at best, and tantamount to theft of services at worst.
Oh I agree.... I feel for the poster.... You sum it up well...

drizgirl

OP, if your FIL won't tip appropriately, I would either 1) be prepared to tip on his behalf or 2) not dine TS with him.

Just curious, without the standard tip being added, how much would he typically tip?

MickeyMomV

I want to the give the OP's FIL the benefit of the doubt as he said his FIL "does not want to be forced into paying the 18%". I'm hoping that he is referring to not wanting to tip 18% for deplorable service and that he would happily tip the 18% or higher for extra magical service. He never said that his FIL was a poor tipper or wouldn't tip.

DisneyJoe

If you all sit at the same table dining plan or not, a 18% gratuity is automatically added to everyone’s bill being you have a party of 6+ at the same table even with seperate checks. ;)
Yes, agreed.

The only way to avoid this is to make 2 or 3 separate reservations and sit at different tables with different checks. As soon as you have 6 or more sitting at the same table you will incur the automatic 18%.

FYI, you mentioned him sharing a meal with his wife - make sure he knows this cannot be done at buffet meals and those served family style.

drizgirl

If you all sit at the same table dining plan or not, a 18% gratuity is automatically added to everyone’s bill being you have a party of 6+ at the same table even with seperate checks. ;)
They would have to. Otherwise everyone not wanting to pay the gratuity would just ask for split tickets.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
They would have to. Otherwise everyone not wanting to pay the gratuity would just ask for split tickets.
That’s what I’m saying even with split checks they can’t get away from the auto gratuity it goes by table size (they have 7 sitting at their table) not how many are on each receipt/Check etc. :)

Rob562

I want to the give the OP's FIL the benefit of the doubt as he said his FIL "does not want to be forced into paying the 18%". I'm hoping that he is referring to not wanting to tip 18% for deplorable service and that he would happily tip the 18% or higher for extra magical service. He never said that his FIL was a poor tipper or wouldn't tip.

If that's the case, perhaps the OP can assure his FIL that should there be such horrible service that they feel the auto-gratuity isn't appropriate, they can speak to a manager about it and they can mitigate things if it was truly that bad...

-Rob

CRad1028

I believe I have the answer to your question. Unless they changed it since 2016. It is option number 2. I went on 3 trips with large parties, and the bill gratuity was broken up by what each separate check total.

disneybirthdaymagic

Original Poster
OP, if your FIL won't tip appropriately, I would either 1) be prepared to tip on his behalf or 2) not dine TS with him.

Just curious, without the standard tip being added, how much would he typically tip?
He'd probably tip $3 on any amount. From a $5 check to a $200 check. Our plan is to dine with the bare minimum and to offer to pay his portion of the group tip when we dine together.

disneybirthdaymagic

Original Poster
I believe I have the answer to your question. Unless they changed it since 2016. It is option number 2. I went on 3 trips with large parties, and the bill gratuity was broken up by what each separate check total.

While I appreciate everyone else's input. THANK YOU! for answering my actual question without judgement and a real answer. This will make it much easier for us to just offer to pay the difference in group gratuity when we decide to eat together. Your reply is very appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom