Dining Plan and Reservations

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
My son and I are going to WDW 4-11 Feb, staying at AKL :sohappy: and using the dining plan for the first time.

In other threads, I've noticed a lot of people talking about making reservations as much as months in advance. I was intending to play it by ear while we're there and make reservations at restaurants the night before, to coincide with whatever my son decides he wants to do the following day. :p

Am I likely to have problems getting reservations the evening before in early February? The only day we have fixed plans is the Wednesday, when we have La Nouba tickets and will have dinner in DD after the show.

I'm hoping to be as spontaneous as possible, am I being realistic? :confused::veryconfu

Thanks,

shoppingnut

I wouldn't wait until you got there to make reservation for any of the character meals as they book up quickly, especially during the dinner hour times (5:30p-7:30p).

This is what I would do, I would make a few dinner reservations or any character ones for the week now, this way you are assured to get the restaurants that you want and won't be disappointed. Just ask him if there are any places he wants to eat or if he wants to do any character meals, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace. I would then wing the rest. I think a loose plan is better than no plan.

Ella's Mommy

NOOOOOO!!! Bad idea:brick: You can make ressies 180 days prior to arrival. I would suggest that you plan your days in advance. I always make my ressies for each day ahead of time then plan our day around them. But if you dont mind waiting 45min to an hour then go right ahead and be spontaneous, but in my 15+ trips to WDW its pays to have a plan. Happy Turkey Day:wave:

Just some suggestions:
1900 Park Faire:slurp:
Chef Mickey's :slurp:
Liberty Square Tavern:slurp:
Crystal Palace:slurp:

HunnyPot

You should probably make some of them now. As was said above, character meals book fast and tend to be hard to get into. I would recommend a character breakfast, because then you would have the rest of the day to be spontaneous. A breakfast wouldn't tie you in as much with a certain park, because you would still have all day.

I think you will be able to be a little spontaneous though. We have walked into restuarants before and been seated within ten minutes without any kind of reservation. So, yes, I think you will be able to make some reservations the night before, but it would probably be a good idea to make some in advance.

Hope you have a magical trip! :wave:

LaughingGravy

Let us help you

As you've joined the forum, you've clearly been doing a bit of research on your trip , which is good.

Tell us what restaurants you have a desire to go to at all now, and we'll tell you if it's likely you'll need advance reservations far in advance. Of course, we can guarantee nothing.:)

wannabeBelle

LaughingGravy said:
As you've joined the forum, you've clearly been doing a bit of research on your trip , which is good.

Tell us what restaurants you have a desire to go to at all now, and we'll tell you if it's likely you'll need advance reservations far in advance. Of course, we can guarantee nothing.:)
Yes what Laughing Gravy said!!! Belle

dandaman

It seems most of the time, spontaniety at WDW, isn't. ;) Reservations would be my recommendation. However, you may be able to bett lucky on some reservations. For example, this last August, we cancelled a Cap'n Jack's res. and we were somehow able able to book a table at Concourse Steakhouse for 3 hours later! :sohappy:

Luck eventually runs out, though, so I wouldn't recommend being too spontaneous. :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm gonna have to accept a certain loss of freedom and plan in more detail :hammer:. I'll spend some time reviewing options with my son and the make the call for reservations.

407-WDW-DINE here I come! :cry:

I suppose even booking restaurants in advance doesn't really impact playing it by ear, we can always just factor in travel time to get to reserved restaurants from whereever we happen to be.

Thanks again!

wannabeBelle

MontyMon said:
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm gonna have to accept a certain loss of freedom and plan in more detail :hammer:. I'll spend some time reviewing options with my son and the make the call for reservations.

407-WDW-DINE here I come! :cry:

I suppose even booking restaurants in advance doesn't really impact playing it by ear, we can always just factor in travel time to get to reserved restaurants from whereever we happen to be.

Thanks again!
Are you aware that we have some of the restuarant menus here on WDWMagic for your review?? Belle

bonofuzz

What about...

Well, I have never been but I plan on making my reservations well in advance from what I have read. But, here is another question, what if you don't show up for your reservation? Can you make two reservations at the same time and pick on that day which you prefer? This would allow you to be spontaneous...
What do you regulars think?

You will have more luck with being spontaneous if you have a small group. DH and I have had good luck with making same day reservations and walking up to restaurants without reservations. Keep in mind that we are usually a party of two and tend to eat our large meal mid- to late-afternoon. Even so, we have been turned away occasionally. Our favourite way to go is spontaneous and flexible, so this doesn't bother us.

If there are restaurants that you MUST eat in then go with the above advice and reserve in advance. With a few days partially planned in this way at least you will have a framework to build a great vacation on!

Enjoy!

Tink

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
wannabeBelle said:
Are you aware that we have some of the restuarant menus here on WDWMagic for your review?? Belle

Yes, when I said I'd review options I intended to go over menus, locations and character dining options. The menus on this site were the first thing that drew me to sign up.

We'll spend most of this weekend going over it all and I'll phone once we've got some preferences chosen and a framework in mind. Then I'll tweak based on what's available while I'm on the phone.

wannabeBelle

bonofuzz said:
Well, I have never been but I plan on making my reservations well in advance from what I have read. But, here is another question, what if you don't show up for your reservation? Can you make two reservations at the same time and pick on that day which you prefer? This would allow you to be spontaneous...
Well you can just not show up for SOME of your ressies. Some require a deposit and if you dont show, you will lose the deposit. However if you arent going to use a ressie, the right thing to do would be to go to Guest Services and cancel it if at all possible. Also if you make two ressies, understand that you may be taking up a spot that someone else wants. And you KNOW that you arent going to show? I think that isnt too cool. I happen to agree with Monty's plan of allowing enough time to get to the place where you made the ressies in the first place! That seems like a reasonable plan!! Belle

shoppingnut

bonofuzz said:

Not showing for your ressie means that you are depriving someone else of having a magical time at that restaurant. To knowingly do this is just plain wrong.

I would pick the restaurants and then if you decide you want to change it the night before, call the dining number or go to guest services in any of the parks and if you can change great, but if not, at least you have a place for dinner.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
wannabeBelle said:
...I happen to agree with Monty's plan of allowing enough time to get to the place where you made the ressies in the first place! That seems like a reasonable plan!! Belle

Why, thank you!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Spontaneity Out the Window...

...well, not entirely. On your advice we reviewed options, parks and menus and decided on a plan for the week. My son picked out which parks to hit based on EMH at each park. Then we looked through the menus and picked our Table Service dining :slurp: for each day based on which park we'd be in.

Thanks to all of your suggestions on this thread and others, we got the last reservation for dinner at the Liberty Tree :slurp: on the day we wanted and one of the few remaining for the Cinderella's Royal Table breakfast :slurp: and Breakfastosaurus :slurp: on those days.

I guess advance planning has its advantages! We'll be spontaneous for our counter service meals and snacks ;)

Thanks for steering me right [and just in the nick of time, too] :kiss:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom