Dining Plan and Menus

SteveUK

Original Poster
Are there any limitations placed on what you can order using the dining plan? Are there certain items on the menu excluded?

It just seems odd that I could order a burger, or a steak for twice the price, but they effectively cost the same (ie. 1 credit).

Am I missing something?

Pioneer Hall

You're not missing anything. I thought I heard once that it might have been Narcoossee's that had a limitation on the Surf and Turf, but I could be wrong. Outside of that I have never heard of any other restrictions.

wolf359

There are some slight limitations, but overall you're right; a ten dollar burger and a 40 dollar steak can cost the same amount of credits.

Off the top of my head the only exceptions I can think of would be if a restaurant serves something intended for multiple diners it costs multiple credits. Examples would be the different sized pizzas at Via Napoli or the "serves two" entrees at Hacienda de San Angel.

CaptainShortty

Are there any limitations placed on what you can order using the dining plan? Are there certain items on the menu excluded?

It just seems odd that I could order a burger, or a steak for twice the price, but they effectively cost the same (ie. 1 credit).

Am I missing something?

To answer your question, there are a few limitations but for the most part, you would be correct. It is why I am a true believer that the DDP is exactly what you make of it. You could of course go get that burger but why not get the steak if you're paying the same for it anyway?? In my opinion it's one of the best reasons to use the DDP. You have to opportunity to eat some delicious meals that you wouldn't pay for if you weren't on the plan. So make as much use of the DDP as you can!!

Pioneer Hall

To answer your question, there are a few limitations but for the most part, you would be correct. It is why I am a true believer that the DDP is exactly what you make of it. You could of course go get that burger but why not get the steak if you're paying the same for it anyway?? In my opinion it's one of the best reasons to use the DDP. You have to opportunity to eat some delicious meals that you wouldn't pay for if you weren't on the plan. So make as much use of the DDP as you can!!

But this is all up to the individual. Some people just want that burger, or maybe they don't eat dessert, or perhaps they only like to drink water. This is why when people ask if the DDP is worth it, the only answer you can give them is that it is up to them. The only way to decide if the DDP is worth it is to actually add up what you normally order at that restaurant and see if you break the price that you are paying. For me, I know that the plan is almost never worth it (especially when I take my TiW discount into account).

CaptainShortty

But this is all up to the individual. Some people just want that burger, or maybe they don't eat dessert, or perhaps they only like to drink water. This is why when people ask if the DDP is worth it, the only answer you can give them is that it is up to them. The only way to decide if the DDP is worth it is to actually add up what you normally order at that restaurant and see if you break the price that you are paying. For me, I know that the plan is almost never worth it (especially when I take my TiW discount into account).

For me, it's the opportunity to have a dessert that I wouldn't normally have due to cost but usually really want. But I totally understand where you're coming from and you're right about it being of different worth for different people. All depends on what you're looking for when it comes to dining in the world.

Rob562

As others have said, there are very few individual restrictions on the menus. Usually the "added items" are excluded, like adding a lobster tail onto an entree that they sometimes offer at one or two places. (Though you can still order that lobster tail and pay out-of-pocket for it, if you want)

And the burger vs steak comparison brings up my one major suggestion for people going on the DDP: Once you've made the decision to get the Dining Plan (whether via Free Dining or paying for it) and you're actually on your trip, do *not* worry about "getting your money's worth" out of the Plan. Don't even look at prices on the menus. Simply sit down, look at the menu, and order what you want, no matter what that is.

Sure, you could order the most expensive item every time, like the filet at Le Cellier, and many people do, but sometimes you just feel like getting the grilled chicken breast. Once you start worrying that you may not be getting the best deal at each restaurant, it starts to be counter-productive to the goal of relaxing on your vacation.

So order what you want, regardless of price! :)

-Rob

SteveUK

Original Poster
As always, great advice. I'm looking forward to being able to just choose what I want and forget the number beside it. So many times I have not ordered quite what I would like because I'm worried about the cost.

I'm not sure looking at the cost that I would pay for the dining plan, but to get it free was a decision maker for me. It really was the difference between being able to go, or not, because food for 18 days can really add up.

mickeysshoes

What you have to remember is that you have tip on what you order. So the more your dinner cost the more your tip will be. The only real limitaions I know of are when it comes to drinks for the kids. The smoothies and milk shakes use to be covered and now most (not all) places you have buy them. And on a side note...we tend to get tired of eating all the desserts that come with the plan...after having one of each I start asked for bottled water instead of dessert and most places dont have a problem with it. We go in August (28 days :)) and it very hot and having the extra water is great!!

powlessfamily4

if you have a husband and son who are very active and big eaters ... It is sooo worth it. My son always manages to find something he can really fill up on. He is training to be a fire fighter and has an appetite like a herd of cattle. I save a ton of money by using the DDP. It also allows for any unused credits from other family members to supply the "4th' meal of the day he often enjoys. :) He is 20 and unlike most 20 year olds he is very much a healthy eater. The DDP allows for him to choose the good stuff. If he had to actually shop out of pocket he probably would be more apt to go for the lower priced burgers and fries.

WDW_Princess24

On my last trip I used the DDP and for me, I didn't feel it was worth it. I felt we actually ended up spending more money than we normally would have. Reason being, I am a picky pain in the butt and I don't eat much. Each meal comes with a dessert, which we normally would not order. The tip percentage is calculated by what you order and since we normally would not order 1 dessert, let alone 2, I felt we were putting out more money in tips. If you are a big eater, it is absolutely worth the cost, but like I said, personally, I rather just pay as I go.

I never encountered any restrictions, if we want an appetizer or alcohol we paid out of pocket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom