Dining in DHS w/ 2yr old

elizs77

Play house Disney lunch, food is ok but the kids enjoyed JoJo, goliath, and the Little Einsteins. Atmosphere was fun too.

This is at Hollywood and Vine. When we took our son when he was 3, he loved it! It's also loud in there, which can be good to cover up the noise coming from your own kids if you know what I mean!

Upvote 0

JNL0508

Original Poster
Is the food good and worth the money? I have only eaten at the 50's Prime Time Cafe and the Brown Derby. Does it compare?

Upvote 0

KC82271

I don't know how the lunch is, but breakfast was all "healthy" - turkey this and turkey that - wheat bread - no white. No choices either - it was eat healthy or starve!

Not worth it for me - I prefer the old "unhealthy" disney!

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

When dining out EVERY meal on vacation with a two year old the goal is to finish a meal without indigestion not to savor every precious moment (as much as you would like to)! I would say use the K.I.S.S. method and save the really special dining for a couple of years from now.

Just my two cents of experience from three years ago when we went with our daughter. Also if you have not planned to do so mid-day breaks back at the hotel are a must. The harder you push a tired toddler to have fun the more miserable things get. We had a hard time coming to this harsh realization but once we gave in and went with the flow things went much better.

I know this is really not a specific reply but rather good hearted advice so that you all enjoy the bestest place to vacation with kids!

Upvote 0

durangojim

I'd suggest the sci fi dine in. My 2 yo son thought it was just too cool to eat while sitting in a car and watching movies. He still has me sing "beware of the blob...it creeps and sleeps and glides and slides..."

Upvote 0

GrowingUpDisney

I think the food at Playhouse Disney (Hollywood and Vine) is worth the $ and the characters make it even better. In addition, you will not have to pay for your 2 yr old as kids under 3 eat free at buffets.

Upvote 0

mickey&me

How does your 2yo eat? The characters prove too much of a distraction to many people--adults included! The noise factor or something going on on a very large screen may also be prohibitive. A good idea with a child that young is to plan a return visit to your hotel in the middle of the day anyway; consider lunch at your food court or getting lunch there and eating in your room.

Upvote 0

JNL0508

Original Poster
When dining out EVERY meal on vacation with a two year old the goal is to finish a meal without indigestion not to savor every precious moment (as much as you would like to)! I would say use the K.I.S.S. method and save the really special dining for a couple of years from now.

Just my two cents of experience from three years ago when we went with our daughter. Also if you have not planned to do so mid-day breaks back at the hotel are a must. The harder you push a tired toddler to have fun the more miserable things get. We had a hard time coming to this harsh realization but once we gave in and went with the flow things went much better.

I know this is really not a specific reply but rather good hearted advice so that you all enjoy the bestest place to vacation with kids!

It's our Goddaughter that that my DH and I are bringing with us. This will be the first trip we take with her without her parents, but we have had her for weekend sleepovers. And as for the afternoon naps, I have definitely planned that into our schedule. That is one thing I do know is she must take her nap or I know that I won't make it till the end of the day.

We will be in DHS on the last day of our trip and after we have lunch we will be driving back home to Miami. So I am still not sure if we should just eat at a quick service place and take advantage of the time, or do a sit down lunch to relax before the trip home. Although as you said, dinning with a 2yr old is an experience.

Upvote 0

JNL0508

Original Poster
How does your 2yo eat? The characters prove too much of a distraction to many people--adults included! The noise factor or something going on on a very large screen may also be prohibitive. A good idea with a child that young is to plan a return visit to your hotel in the middle of the day anyway; consider lunch at your food court or getting lunch there and eating in your room.

I can't say that she is a great eater, but when shes hungry, she eats anything and everything and from anyones plate.

She also does not like to sit in high chairs. She thinks she is a big girl and wants to sit in her own chair but is constantly getting up and running around. So probably a place with a lot of noise and commotion will be good for us.

Upvote 0

JNL0508

Original Poster
Sorry, I made a mistake. The day that we will be in DHS is not our last. So it will be a full day, with a trip back to the hotel for a nap.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

I can't say that she is a great eater, but when shes hungry, she eats anything and everything and from anyones plate.

She also does not like to sit in high chairs. She thinks she is a big girl and wants to sit in her own chair but is constantly getting up and running around. So probably a place with a lot of noise and commotion will be good for us.

Then I would definitely do the Playhouse Disney character meal.
This character meal is a bit different than others.
Besides the characters that come to the tables (at present time Jo Jo and Goliath from Jo Jo's Circus and June and Leo from The Little Einsteins), there are a couple of "hosts" who sing and have the kids dance, etc. They play music from the Playhouse Disney shows. It is more interactive than other character meals.

The last time we ate there my DD was almost two, and my son was 5. They both loved it. My DD is also very active and does not like to sit in high chairs, but she was mesmerized by the loud music and watching everyone dance!

As far as the food, I can't tell you about lunch because we had breakfast there. But we liked the breakfast...it was the typical stuff that is on most of the breakfast buffets.

Upvote 0

michelemily

We ate there for lunch in June and the food was very good. my kids are 3 and 4 and they were able to eat their entire meal. There is also a station for making sundaes so the girls knew if they did not eat their meal they would not get ice cream (so that may have made them more determined.).

there was a wide variety of foods for both adults and kids. Everything I ate was good. they did have both healthy and not so healthy parents. We ate there with my parents and they were very pleased with the food. If you are concerned with the noise try to sit closer to the windows or the sides and not close to the center because that is where the characters stop and sing and dance.

Upvote 0

Magicmyway

Recently I vacationed as a "regular" guest (meaning I did not work or anything...I was finally not a CM on vacation) anyway I tried H&V and I did not care for it, I could see where little ones would, but I just didnt.... It seemed very undisney to me, :(

Instead Id take her to either Prime Time... (not being biased) but they theme very well with tiny tikes... or I'd go over to a resort for a late breakfast such as Cape May Cafe at Beach Club where they'll get the main disney characters: minnie, pluto, chip n dale, goofy in beachwear... then after take a boatride or a nice walk to disney hollywood studios..just a thought:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom