Digital Photo Service Costs

Unplugged

Original Poster
Hi All! Quick question. My family is going to WDW in Sept/Oct (read as "not soon enough") and we're taking our little one for the first time. Obviously I'll be shooting more photos than I know what to do with.

Anyway, I know WDW started the "Digital Photo Services" in 2005 that allow you to transfer photos from your digital flash media to CD in the parks photo centers. I have a 1GB card which doesn't go too far with 6MP, so I'm trying to decide if I should by another card (really only needed for the trip), or simply dump the photos to CD as needed. :veryconfu

My questions are:
- What is the cost for the service?
- Do they offer DVD & CD media? (Since I have a 1GB card, that's obviously more than the 700MB a CD holds.)

Thanks for your help with this!

GrowingUpDisney

This is posted under trip planning info. (Rt side of main page). I am not suer how accurate it is:

Each of the camera centers in the four Theme Parks have been equipped with CD burners to upload memory cards to. In addition, this technology will be deployed in the Disney Resort properties over the next few months. As of 25 April 2005, these locations offer CD burning of digital camera memory card:

Magic Kingdom - Exposition Hall - Main Street USA

Epcot Camera Center - Main Entrance Plaza

Disney-MGM Studios The Darkroom - Hollywood Boulevard

Animal Kingdom Garden Gate Gifts - Entrance Plaza

The current cost is $12.99 per CD plus tax.

AEfx

You can get a 1 or 2GB card online or at a discount store that will cost you less, especially if you are taking 6MP pics. I believe the CDs at WDW only hold something like 100 pics. CDs only hold 650-800MB, and I believe it costs more than $12.99 now (though someone else will surely know positively or not). Plus, it's just a pain to have to do it at WDW anyway.

Cards are always a good investment. Or, maybe not using the full 6MP resolution will help you not fill your card as often - it's really not necessary to use that high a resolution for vacation pics, unless you are blowing them all up to poster size.

AEfx

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
You can get a 1 or 2GB card online or at a discount store that will cost you less, especially if you are taking 6MP pics. I believe the CDs at WDW only hold something like 100 pics. CDs only hold 650-800MB, and I believe it costs more than $12.99 now (though someone else will surely know positively or not). Plus, it's just a pain to have to do it at WDW anyway.

AEfx

We have used this service twice. First, it is very slow. There is only two machines in the MK, and if you are the third person in line, you could be looking at 30 minutes to an hour. Second, it is expensive if you take alot of photos. Third, you are lucky to get 100 photos. I think we got about 70 photos per disk. Fourth, once you have the disk, then you have to cary it around with you for the rest of the day, risking damage, unless you want it delivered to your resort, again, risking danger.

I highly recomend spending the money and buying a large memory card. Count it as part of the vacation expense. You come out better in the long run in my opinion.

Unplugged

Original Poster
Good deal on SD Card

Thanks to all those who posted!

I ordered a new Corsair 2GB SD card from "newegg.com" for $29.99 and $4.99 for 3 day shipping. It arived from the as promised in 3 business days.

Looks like I can drown myself in photos now. :lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thanks to all those who posted!

I ordered a new Corsair 2GB SD card from "newegg.com" for $29.99 and $4.99 for 3 day shipping. It arived from the as promised in 3 business days.

Looks like I can drown myself in photos now. :lol:

You made the right decision. Have fun clicking away!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom