Digital Fastpass Testing - Any news?

dweezil78

Original Poster
Lots of articles back in October about digital FP testing beginning late November starting with Midway Mania. Doesn't seem like it ever happened from what I can tell, eh? Anyone know what's going on?

GiveMeTheMusic

Lots of articles back in October about digital FP testing beginning late November starting with Midway Mania. Doesn't seem like it ever happened from what I can tell, eh? Anyone know what's going on?

Logistics on the digital FP program are still being worked on. Getting a test up and running in the park is a moving target at this point. It may not be until summer that anything really substantial happens.

dweezil78

Original Poster
Logistics on the digital FP program are still being worked on. Getting a test up and running in the park is a moving target at this point. It may not be until summer that anything really substantial happens.

Figured as much... I know I'm in the minority here, but really would love to see them switch over to a system like WDW has as far as FP+ goes. I was very much opposed to it initially, but after 3 trips to WDW with it now, it's hard to go back to the limited paper system.

Everyone argues that FP+ takes the spontaneity out of it, but I think it's the opposite. Being able to secure passes for the attractions you want to hit (when you want to hit them) ultimately frees up time and allows for far more spontaneity when you're not running around the park trying to grab FP tickets!

dweezil78

Original Poster
We had Midway Mania breakdown on us while in line. They give us a Fastpass good for any ride as compensation. They just scanned it onto our passes.

They've been doing that for a while now... Had that happen to me at Star Tours a few years back when the FP machine printed blanks and I found myself without a FP slot and without a FP to go with it! Thankfully they hooked it up w/ the handheld scanner.

Phroobar

Disabled fast passes work the same way. You go tell them what you want to ride and they scan a FP onto your ticket. Just show the ticket and they look it up with their handheld scanner which is just an iphone with scanner attached in a case.

Curious Constance

Figured as much... I know I'm in the minority here, but really would love to see them switch over to a system like WDW has as far as FP+ goes. I was very much opposed to it initially, but after 3 trips to WDW with it now, it's hard to go back to the limited paper system.

Everyone argues that FP+ takes the spontaneity out of it, but I think it's the opposite. Being able to secure passes for the attractions you want to hit (when you want to hit them) ultimately frees up time and allows for far more spontaneity when you're not running around the park trying to grab FP tickets!

I would love going to a system like WDW has for DL, but I'll settle for at least getting it digital, so I can reserve fastpasses from my phone and not have to literally walk a mile to the other park to secure a fastpass I know I won't be able to use for a few hours.

180º

I feel the same way. I was totally against it in theory, but on my recent trip to WDW I was blown away by how fantastic it was. I can't wait for it to come to Disneyland.

Stevek

I didn't have any issues with FP+ killing spontaneity...I loved it. Now MM+ and having to plan dining as well, that sucked.

Stevek

I would love going to a system like WDW has for DL, but I'll settle for at least getting it digital, so I can reserve fastpasses from my phone and not have to literally walk a mile to the other park to secure a fastpass I know I won't be able to use for a few hours.
Agreed. The thing that has always sucked about FP at Disneyland (beyond the longer standby lines) is having to trek back and forth across the park just to get a FP ticket. Standing in Critter Country and you can now get another FP...time to run to Space Mountain to get one for that.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I didn't have any issues with FP+ killing spontaneity...I loved it. Now MM+ and having to plan dining as well, that sucked.

I really don't mind MM+. It's pretty nice not having to carry a wallet around the resort! The dining thing is a little problematic across WDW for the most popular restaurants, but honestly, the whole trick of dining at WDW is to wait 48-24 hours in advance to get the reservations you really want. There are always last minute openings. Be Our Guest is impossible to get months out, but if you start checking a day or two before you want the reservation you can almost always grab one of a handful. (The plus-side of guests being charged a fee for day-of cancellations!)

Much like DLR, if you are armed with the right knowledge and strategies of how their systems work (and typical guest behaviors), you can almost always get what you are looking for. I was able to get a FPs for the 7D Mine Train just 5 minutes before the slot opened and Frozen just hours before my visit!

Stevek

I really don't mind MM+. It's pretty nice not having to carry a wallet around the resort! The dining thing is a little problematic across WDW for the most popular restaurants, but honestly, the whole trick of dining at WDW is to wait 48-24 hours in advance to get the reservations you really want. There are always last minute openings. Be Our Guest is impossible to get months out, but if you start checking a day or two before you want the reservation you can almost always grab one of a handful. (The plus-side of guests being charged a fee for day-of cancellations!)

Much like DLR, if you are armed with the right knowledge and strategies of how their systems work (and typical guest behaviors), you can almost always get what you are looking for. I was able to get a FPs for the 7D Mine Train just 5 minutes before the slot opened and Frozen just hours before my visit!

I don't have any issues with Magic bands or payment either...I guess I'm really just not in love with having to book FP (yes, I can change) or the more challenging restaurant portion so far in advance.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I don't have any issues with Magic bands or payment either...I guess I'm really just not in love with having to book FP (yes, I can change) or the more challenging restaurant portion so far in advance.

I feel like windows/timelines for booking would be shortened a bit at DL as most guests don't book visits as far out here. Also far less on-property guests here vs. WDW and they're the ones with the ability to book so far out with MM+ so there wouldn't be the same kind of competition in getting FPs. It's all relative as they say...

drizgirl

Agreed. The thing that has always sucked about FP at Disneyland (beyond the longer standby lines) is having to trek back and forth across the park just to get a FP ticket. Standing in Critter Country and you can now get another FP...time to run to Space Mountain to get one for that.

That ease of use is precisely why everyone will be shocked at how fast fastpass disappears in the parks each day once it gets going.

And can you imagine the Disney IT system withstanding the onslaught as everyone hits the system at once at rope drop?

Darkbeer1

Heck, Six Flags Magic Mountain now has an in-park Wi-Fi system that is free, of course, it is used to help market things.

So I hope Disney is working for a similar program at the DLR, since it is needed for the Digital FP system to work for most. But you still will have a percentage of people that don't have a smart phone, the battery dies, etc.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom