Digital Camcorder & Camera

Connor002

Original Poster
Currently browsing digital camcorders, as well as a possible new digital camera for myself.

As for the camcorder, something on the lower end for a family, also not sure as to what type/format to go for.

Camera, something a step up from point and shoot, hopefully, but still on the lower end.

Any input is appreciated.

dandaman

Depends on your price range.

I love my Canon Powershot A430, but it's pretty much a standard point-and-shoot. Has a few other in-camera editing options, and takes up to 1/2 hour videos. :wave:

Tramp

Camcorder: I'm curious to know more about the video quality of the hard-drive camcorders. JVC has one with a 30 gb disk that records from 7 hours to 37 hours depending on the resolution you choose. No more cassette tapes. Download it directly to your PC and then burn to a dvd. I think the JVC sells for about $450 online.

There may be other brands moving into this format but I only mentioned this one as an example.

Matpez

Camcorder: I'm curious to know more about the video quality of the hard-drive camcorders. JVC has one with a 30 gb disk that records from 7 hours to 37 hours depending on the resolution you choose. No more cassette tapes. Download it directly to your PC and then burn to a dvd. I think the JVC sells for about $450 online.

There may be other brands moving into this format but I only mentioned this one as an example.

They work very similar to the direct to DVD cameras. They either record to an MPEG or other very lossy and hard to edit format. The quality my appear to be there to the eye, but if you try to do any editing (if even possible depending on file type) you are going to get some compression issues for sure.

dolbyman

my advice stick to mindv tape camcorderders

hdd drives have some large disadantages ...

- tape a bumpy attraction and you see the first (if you are lucky just some jerky dropouts due to drive protection or worst case defective hdd)

- in the middle of a perfect vacation day the hdd is full .. what now ? you can't insert a new one .. you need a laptop with external drive to empty your cam :shrug:

- you want to save your unedited footage for future use ? for just one drive sweep(30GB) you need at least 3 DL DVD's ... also a hassle and will cost you money

---------------
- card cam's have very limited storage (yet). you have to set the compression to really crappy quality to preserve some storage (unless you have unlimited supplys of 4-8 gig memory cards)

- when the media (storage cards) reach over 20+GB for a reasonable price they start to get interresting.. but that will take some time I guess

canon is about to release a very interresting HDV model, a one chip cmos that seems to be very close to 3 chip quality (under normal light.. low light is yet to be reviewed) this might be worth a try

check it out

bayoutinkbelle

I bought a Canon Powershot SD600 a few months ago and LOVE it! I was able to get it for under $200. A few professional photog friends recommended the Powershot series to me (or Canon in general).

I also bought a Sony Handycam DCR-HC96 MiniDV. For some reason, I had my heart set on buying one that burned directly to DVD, but did some research and decided against it. Since I do some video at work and have access to Avid and a deck, etc., I'm loving it.

I took both on a recent cruise and WDW trip and couldn't have been happier with the stuff I brought back. Both are small enough that I always carry them with me in my purse.

KeithVH

For a decent P&S camera, look at the new Canon A710IS. Has a good zoom length, features Image Stabilization, takes 2 AA batteries and is pocketable. It has great image quality and is one of the best of the best. Office Depot has them on sale this week for ~$240 (20% off).

dolbyman

my powershot (A85) does a pretty weak low light performance .. unless it's on a solid surface or tripod... then you can use the great manual controls to get some very nice looking shots from it

but in daylight you can set it to pretty high exposure times so moving objects are no problem :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom