Dieting for Disney 2008

Missymoe4

Original Poster
I know that this was discussed last year; however, I think that it would be interesting to begin it again, seeing that so many people replied to the thread from last year. (I hope I'm in the right forum room, if not, let me know :) )

Anyhow, late November of 2007 I began weight watcher, and continue on the program today. But, as soon as Spring hits, my thoughts shift directly to my Summer vacation in the Happiest Place on Earth. I've lost 35 pounds this far, but really dread walking around the parks with the extra weight. I'm wondering if there are others out there that feel the same way. So, seeing that it was such a long topic last year, with members checking in daily/weekly with their weight loss results, and keeping each other motivated, I was wondering if anyone out there would like to join me in doing the same. I'm obsessed with Disney, and when walking and partaking in exercising, I think about how I will feel walking in a Disney Park, which always keeps me motivated. :) Is there anyone out there that would like to join me (checking in, motivating each other, sharing tips and helping our selves out by fighting the "battle of the bulge") leading up to their trip?

I know that I repeated myself a ton; however, I do know that I need the extra motivation from people that frequent this board. :) So, let me know what you think and we can work it out from there. :)

lisak09

I'd like to lose some weight before our august trip(about a stone i think) so i'd be happy to report here how its going and get any tips and advice. Only problem is i don't think i can start for a couple of weeks as the house is now full of easter eggs! So im thinking about two weeks to clear them and then im ready to go! Theres no point in me trying to start until they're gone as it would just be pointless. And well done on your weight loss so far:)

amandagibbins

Yeah me too it looks like all of us trying to lose weight are from the UK:eek:
Oh well i have re joined the gym but i hsve a five year old who is off school for another two weeks and 1 day and a month old so i will have to try to get around that one some how i tried to get liposuction on prescription from the doctor the other day but she was having none of it she said by BMI was less than 30 so she wasnt bothered but iam were going to disney in september again the last time i went at that time of year i was the same weight and it was too hot and made me feel like an elephant:cry:

Tinkerbella16

Im in!

I started in February. I wake up at 5am during the week, have breakfast, hit the gym till 7, then come home and shower, and Im off to work by 8. So far, so good...I haven't gotten lazy to it, and I motivate myself everyday. My day at work is so much better when I go to the gym first. My trip isn't until November, but it doesn't matter. The only hard part is watching what I eat while in the parks!! :lookaroun

Count me in!!! :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is a great idea. Motivation form others is really key in getting through those discouraging plateaus in any weight loss program. I have been struggling with the last 20 lbs for several years now and thanks to some help from a few others and a new exercise program I think I have finally turned the corner and am on my way from fair shape to great shape. I also have a side business with a natural products company so I will be happy to help anyone out in any way that I can.

TTFN-Tiggger

Count me in. I started 1.5 years ago. Have taken off 101.4 pounds and let me tell you - walking the world the first week of March was great! I have the last 8 to go - I need to focus again and stop the yo-yo effect. I will tell you stay away from those buffets when at the world and you will be fine. That was where I had my problem and we had 5 of them.:eek:

minnie2000

Im in!

I started in February. I wake up at 5am during the week, have breakfast, hit the gym till 7, then come home and shower, and Im off to work by 8. So far, so good...I haven't gotten lazy to it, and I motivate myself everyday. My day at work is so much better when I go to the gym first. My trip isn't until November, but it doesn't matter. The only hard part is watching what I eat while in the parks!! :lookaroun

Count me in!!! :wave:

:eek:

*I feel exhausted just reading that*

sublimesting

I'd like to lose some weight before our august trip(about a stone i think) so i'd be happy to report here how its going and get any tips and advice. Only problem is i don't think i can start for a couple of weeks as the house is now full of easter eggs! So im thinking about two weeks to clear them and then im ready to go! Theres no point in me trying to start until they're gone as it would just be pointless. And well done on your weight loss so far:)

Ditch the yolk and the easter eggs are downright healthy. Eggs get a bad rap. If you're doing Weight Watchers, anyone, 3 egg whites are 1 point.

sublimesting

I notice everyone fretting about eating in the parks, but that is why diets fail. Enjoy yourself on your vacation and don't feel like a failure or dread food. People put too much credence into food and that is the problem - fearing it is just as bad as loving it. Look at food as a way to sustain life and an occassional treat but don't base your life or decisions around it and it will lose its power over you. Even most doctors will tell you that a 2 week binge once a year isn't going to affect your health. Also, you may gain 5-10 pounds while there, but you'll burn it off in a few weeks. So, ENJOY and do well at home.

Gucci65

I walk 3 miles a day (started again 2 weeks ago after it finally stared to warm back up here) unless there is lightning, but have not actually joined WW yet. I'll get there eventually!

In the meantime, for those of you who currently enrolled at WW or know how the program works and how many points YOU are alloted per day.....check out www.dottisweightlosszone.com. On Dotti's website you fill find menus for some of your favorite restaurants, how many fat grams each item on the menu contains as well as the point values!

Good luck and continued success everyone!!!!:sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ditch the yolk and the easter eggs are downright healthy. Eggs get a bad rap. If you're doing Weight Watchers, anyone, 3 egg whites are 1 point.
100% true. Egg whites could easily be classified as a super food. They have a high amount of nutrients you need and almost nothing that you do not need. On the flip side the yolk might as well be death in a little yellow ball.

Your average egg white has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

Your average egg yolk has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol (around 70% +/- of your RDA), 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.

Tinkerbella16

100% true. Egg whites could easily be classified as a super food. They have a high amount of nutrients you need and almost nothing that you do not need. On the flip side the yolk might as well be death in a little yellow ball.

Your average egg white has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

Your average egg yolk has 59 calories, 3 g of protein, 5 g of fat (2 of which are saturated), 212 mg of cholesterol (around 70% +/- of your RDA), 23 mg of calcium, 81 mg of phosphorus, 7 mg of sodium, 16 mg of potassium, very small amounts of iron, thiamin, and riboflavin, and no carbohydrates.

That's good to know. Now when I make my omlets, the yolks are not joining! Thank you for those facts!

JessicaB

In Dec. I joined Weight Watchers and have lost 30 pounds. I hope to reach my goal by Nov. for DS surprise trip. It should be no problem with it so far away. I hope.:)

I'm a competitive dancer and always try to keep my weight in check, so Disney is actually fun for me. About the only thing I would eat at Disney is fruit when i get hungry. Animal Kingdom, over by the Safari, has some of the best fresh fruit. And they have good lemonade. But in the mornings for breakfast I would find a low sugar cereal with enough carbs to keep me going and eat fruit. Also before we left, we froze a 36 pack of waters. We put them in our cooler and used them as ice packs for some of our fruits and other little things. There were four of us but me dad didn't drink the water only my mom, my granny, and I. So everyday we would take our water to the park. Even at the end of the week it was still frozen and it started off our day right in the park. But at Disney there is so much to eat and you are walking so much!!! (Take a pedometer for fun, I did!) Also, you are sweating a lot. But just don't gorge yourself at every meal, then you just feel sick. But it's Disney, have fun!

sublimesting

For those doing WW or want to here is the basic formula:

50 calories equals 1 point
Every 12 grams of fat increases your point value by 1 point
Every 4 grams of fiber drops it by 1 point

Here is the formula:
One point = (calories/50) + (fat grams/12) - (min{r, 4}/5)
The last part of the formula — min{r, 4} — is equal to the number of grams of dietary fiber or 4, whichever is the smaller number.

If you work out vigorously you can add 2 points to that day. You can also bank points for a bad day up to 30 points or so.
I don't have the scale off hand of how many points per day you should have, but if you stay around 21 or so you should be fine for girls.

Again this is VERY basic.

You'd be surprised at how much food this actually is if you eat right. keep in mind that veggies that don't have sugar (carrots and corn have sugar) are free and you can fill up on them big time.

Missymoe4

Original Poster
Awesome everyone! I don't have the time right now to write a formal reply, but tonight I surly will! In the meantime, we're here for each other and that's what counts! Yea us!
:sohappy:

Missymoe4

Original Poster
I walk 3 miles a day (started again 2 weeks ago after it finally stared to warm back up here) unless there is lightning, but have not actually joined WW yet. I'll get there eventually!

In the meantime, for those of you who currently enrolled at WW or know how the program works and how many points YOU are alloted per day.....check out www.dottisweightlosszone.com. On Dotti's website you fill find menus for some of your favorite restaurants, how many fat grams each item on the menu contains as well as the point values!

Good luck and continued success everyone!!!!:sohappy:

Thanks Gucci! Some ladies at my meeting last week were talking about this site. My leader knew about it as well but could not state the name (the lady who brought the topic up wasn't quite sure on the name). Anyhow, with a head nod "yes" my leader acknowledged that the site was good, but nothing else. (As a ww leader, they cannot legally support another site/program unless it is an official ww site). Looks like there's a ton of good places.

Mybails

Count me in too! I quit smoking 5 years ago:sohappy: and gained 25 lbs:(. On a 5' 1" frame - 25 lbs is really bad. I've been trying for the last year to take off at least 15 of that and keep it off. Ouryoungest granddaughter saw a picture of me grom before and asked who was the pretty lady with Grandpa. I want her to do WDW with the pretty lady.

MnWildFan06

I was a skinny as a pole til I was in high school and then blew out my knees and now not so skinny no more haha but I have tried losing weight like crazy going to the gym,dieting and all that good stuff but nothing is working so I have made an appointment to talk about the weight loss surgery,not gastric but that lap band and see what my options are.Don't get me wrong I am happy with who I am and stuff but in 2006 I went to disney world for my first time and my sister was a huge girl and couldnt get into the ride seats and such and I said I will not be like that I would die if I couldnt go to disney because i couldnt get on all the great rides!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom