Did you ever meet Walt? Or do you know someone who did?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
An old family friend of ours had the last name "Disney". When I was a kid I automatically assumed she would have met Walt. She didn't. Her late husband was either 2nd cousins or 1st cousins once removed from him. She lived in Canada and as some may know this is where Walt had some roots originally.

Either way, has anyone on here met Walt? Or had a family member or friend do so?

pbrsaau

My grandfather was a brick layer when Disneyland was being built. I'm sure he crossed paths back then, but my grandfather passed long before my obsession with Disney kicked in.

castlecake2.0

One of my managers was on the opening team of Carthay Circle restaurant at DCA and was there when Diane Disney toured the restaurant. My manager said that experience really made Walt real as Diane spoke about the different photos saying "oh thats when father..." so and so. When I worked on DCL I got to meet Roy Patrick Disney and Richard Sherman, closest I ever got to meeting Walt.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

There is actually one of the longest tenured CM's who is a waitress at Disneyworld to this day that personally waited on Walt and his wife multiple times. A CM at Hollywood and Vine told me about that a few weeks ago. Also when I was in line at the airport a lady saw that we were Disney bound and told me that her roommate from college was on the original Mickey Mouse Club back in the day. So it's possible that lady did as well. The one person that I know for SURE met Walt was Mary Costa and a few years ago she almost came to a surprise birthday party for me but wound up having to cancel but sent me some autographed pics and some printouts with stories of her personal time with Walt. It was really awesome. She is my wife's favorite princess and when my wife got to meet her she geeked out pretty hard. Mary lives here in Knoxville and frequents a grocery store where my step brother's buddy worked at the time and that was how I wound up getting connected to her because he told her he knew someone obsessed with Disney. She is a VERY gracious lady and spoke very highly of Walt.

Nemo14

When we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour, we met Jess Rubio who just happened to be on Main St at that time. He was one of the original caricaturists at Disneyland and actually trained most of the current caricaturists at WDW. He was so interesting and had a few stories to tell about working with Walt. Unfortunately he passed away a few months later.

Figments Friend

Not me personally, but I am friendly with two people who have had personal meetings and interactions with Uncle Walt back in the 1960s.

One was a child at the time and visited Disneyland Park with a friend.
They bumped into Walt, and he asked them their opinions on his Park.
He then invited them to ride 'It's a Small World' with him...to which they did much to their delight and awe.
Afterwards he autographed a couple of items for them, as said child told Walt her brother works for him ( as a CM ) and he will be disappointed to have missed this grand experience.

Walt wrote a special little inscription just for him..and at a later time the child gave it to her teenage brother.
Brother was indeed disappointed and a little jealous of the amazing experience his little sister had with Uncle Walt in the Park....but he was thrilled to have that personalized autograph.
Shortly afterwards he had his chance to interact with Walt himself, as the boss was touring Disneyland during one of Brother's CM shifts and checking in at certain locations.

After working a very long shift...and not getting a lunch break due to nobody wanting to send anyone on break due to ' the boss' being around..... this teenage CM was not in the best of moods.
Uncle Walt comes walking into the location he was then positioned in and with a chipper voice asked said teen 'How are things going today..?'
Of course...he was in awe of talking face to face with 'the man'...being a huge Disneyland fan.
Despite his struggles during the day, he noted things were going good!

That man was Disney Legend Tony Baxter.
The 'little girl' was his sister.

:)

-

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
There is actually one of the longest tenured CM's who is a waitress at Disneyworld to this day that personally waited on Walt and his wife multiple times. A CM at Hollywood and Vine told me about that a few weeks ago. Also when I was in line at the airport a lady saw that we were Disney bound and told me that her roommate from college was on the original Mickey Mouse Club back in the day. So it's possible that lady did as well. The one person that I know for SURE met Walt was Mary Costa and a few years ago she almost came to a surprise birthday party for me but wound up having to cancel but sent me some autographed pics and some printouts with stories of her personal time with Walt. It was really awesome. She is my wife's favorite princess and when my wife got to meet her she geeked out pretty hard. Mary lives here in Knoxville and frequents a grocery store where my step brother's buddy worked at the time and that was how I wound up getting connected to her because he told her he knew someone obsessed with Disney. She is a VERY gracious lady and spoke very highly of Walt.

Still alive and strong at 88 I see. Wow.

I guess Julie Andrews would be someone that would have had lots of interaction. Kurt Russell too I suppose.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Several of my classmates were in Disney films in the 60s. One said she did. Would one degree of separation count?

The Mom

Premium Member
An old family friend of ours had the last name "Disney". When I was a kid I automatically assumed she would have met Walt. She didn't. Her late husband was either 2nd cousins or 1st cousins once removed from him. She lived in Canada and as some may know this is where Walt had some roots originally.

Either way, has anyone on here met Walt? Or had a family member or friend do so?

I have a friend who met Walt. She has several signed cells from Fantasia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom