Did they remove Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah from Festival of Fantasy?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Saw a video of the finale and it sounds like either they removed it or just wasn’t able to be heard, than watched another video and there to it seemed like the song was either removed or washed out from an underlined track

Last edited:

brb1006

I’m glad it’s gone. It reminds people that Disney used to have a ride based on African Folk Tales, and that hurt a lot of people feelings. Luckily, they are replacing it with a European Fairy Tale😍😍😍
The Princess and The Frog wasn't set in Europe though it was set in New Orleans. Did we see the same movie or something? Also you do realize Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah was played at the Disney Parks even before Splash Mountain was even thought off.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I’m glad it’s gone. It reminds people that Disney used to have a ride based on African Folk Tales, and that hurt a lot of people feelings. Luckily, they are replacing it with a European Fairy Tale😍😍😍
Now I’m not disagreeing or arguing with you but I don’t understand this side. Uncle Remus is is one of my all time favorite live action Disney Characters. To me forgetting these fold takes is a disservice in itself. Forgetting the movie as well as the brilliant actor who played this great role is also a dishonor. African American folk tales were from a time of adversity but still should be told, obviously if the story was told and written it meant something to someone whether their situation was good or not their story should be heard and to me it seems unfair just to bury those old stories. Now I’m not saying you’re wrong this is just how I see it whether it’s ignorant or not. To me these stories are empowering and show light in something that should be a bad situation.

eliza61nyc

Now I’m not disagreeing or arguing with you but I don’t understand this side. Uncle Remus is is one of my all time favorite live action Disney Characters. To me forgetting these fold takes is a disservice in itself. Forgetting the movie as well as the brilliant actor who played this great role is also a dishonor. African American folk tales were from a time of adversity but still should be told, obviously if the story was told and written it meant something to someone whether their situation was good or not their story should be heard and to me it seems unfair just to bury those old stories. Now I’m not saying you’re wrong this is just how I see it whether it’s ignorant or not. To me these stories are empowering and show light in something that should be a bad situation.
??? Empowering for who??
And that great AA actor was not allowed to see the the premiere because he was black.
Lol this country has a hard time even acknowledge the atrocities of slavery so sorry as a black person fighting to get this picture released is about the last thing I want to hitch my wagon too.
Lol, let it die

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
??? Empowering for who??
And that great AA actor was not allowed to see the the premiere because he was black.
Lol this country has a hard time even acknowledge the atrocities of slavery so sorry as a black person fighting to get this picture released is about the last thing I want to hitch my wagon too.
Lol, let it die
now that’s F’ed up that he wasn’t allowed to see his own film premier. Uncle Remus as far as I know was an Ex Slave, but I was a kid what’s there not to like about the character or the actor who played him. It’s sad but abolishing the movie won’t make things any better and the Disney company should have been more accommodating towards him and where they should have the premiere. As for slavery I like to think people understand the horrors more than we know.

Last edited:

SNS

??? Empowering for who??
Lol, let it die

I'm well aware of what happened at the premiere and that says more about the place that had the premiere (Atlanta during segregation) then the movie itself.

eliza61nyc

I'm well aware of what happened at the premiere and that says more about the place that had the premiere (Atlanta during segregation) then the movie itself.
But you have the luxury of separating the two, for the descendants of slavery, segregation and Jim crow it's a bit different.
Yes I agree it would be nice if everyone would see the movies as "charming folktales". But it's really about money. Why release a minor movie that's not going to do anything but tick off people who you are actively trying to get to buy their products??
Now I admit I don't get how great his performance was but I didn't like Hattie McDaniels role in gone with the wind either, but that's just me

Last edited:

JohnD

Saw a video of the finale and it sounds like either they removed it or just wasn’t able to be heard, than watched another video and there to it seemed like the song was either removed or washed out from an underlined track
You could be insulted for it being removed before Splash Mountain closure. Now, there is no reason to have the song around anymore with the ride closed.

Walt Disney1955

I did a poll a few years ago. I asked what song is the 2nd most popular in Disney's history. Easily "When You Wish Upon a Star" is #1. I didn't even debate that, neither did anyone else. So songs like "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" and "Small World" and "Mickey Mouse song" were mentioned. But so was "Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da". It certainly had some love for #2.

It is a shame, because it is such a great song. Filled with happiness. And while people hate to hear it, "Song of the South" is classic Disney, a movie that is better than anything they make today. In this age of cancel culture they just seem to remove it. Modern Disney seems to be embarrassed with things in the past, yet they shouldn't be. It shaped much of the company we see today. Unfortunately someone like Uncle Remus goes the way of Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben where he's just basically...................well, erased. The mindset of white liberalism I guess, but it sure doesn't make things better in the parks.

John park hopper

People seem to jump on the band wagon either for or against something without knowing the facts. The song Zip A Dee Do Da was a derivation from a pre Civil war song that was racist. However the actors portraying the characters in the film did not.
Hattie McDaniel told The Criterion, “If I had for one moment considered any part of the picture degrading or harmful to my people I would not have appeared therein.” Star James Baskett agreed, saying, “I believe that certain groups are doing my race more harm in seeking to create dissension than can ever possibly come out of the Song of the South.” I would venture to say many people today would not know who Hattie McDanial or James Baskett were --IMO great actors
Disney as a private company can do what they want --that's the bottom line end of story

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom