Did I make a good choice - French Quarter?

J

joviacdan

Original Poster
I was hoping for some input. I'm going to Disney in May for my wedding and honeymoon. I had a room booked at the Wilderness Lodge, ubt due to the high cost of the wedding, had to scale it back to a moderate resort.

I let my travel agent talk me into Port Orleans French Quarter. She said the bus service wasn't too bad here, and it was a beautiful resort.

The only moderate I've stayed at was the Caribbean Beach esort, which I loved. I stayed at Old Key West and hated it. So, what will I think of French Quarter?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
POFQ is a nice resort, but for the more quiet, out of the way feel I think you should go with PO Riverside, its more spread out, and you can request a "mansion" room, that too would add to the honeymoon feel I think.

Upvote 0

Atta83

O its a beautiful resort. You will not be dissapointed. The room and bathroom were beautiful. I would love to stay there again. The king size bed was so nice and comfy. :D

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I love the French Quarter! Me and my girlfriend love that one! Riverside is great too, but the FQ seems smaller and less congested, though neither ever seem crowded.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Enjoy the honeymoon!

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

There is no bad place to stay when you are there for your honeymoon.

DW and I stayed at Dixie Landings (Riverside now) for our honeymoon about 10 years ago and it was great. Best time ever and we fell in love with Disney. The FQ is also a nice place to stay.

Thinking of the Disney honeymoon got us through the wedding which can be a stressful time.

IMO, there is no better place then WDW on your honeymoon. Enjoy :)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

The FQ part of Riverside is a place that you'll love. As reported, it is smaller than the old Dixie Landings part and has a more intimate feel. For me, the best part to the resort is the boats to DownTown Disney. I'm sure that you've made the right decision.

Upvote 0

Kadee

Both POR & PORQ are absolutely beautiful. I prefer POR because it is more relaxing and the landscaping is amazing. Go to www.allearsnet.com and look at the pictures. Click on accomodations and click on the specific resorts on the left hand side of your screen. They have great photos of the grounds, main buildings and rooms. That should give you some idea.

Congrats on the engagement!

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

While it's hard for me to imagine not staying at the All Star Resorts anymore (because we really don't spend that much in the room), I still do miss staying at Port Orleans French Quarter and especially Riverside. I really liked staying there and both are beautiful resorts. And while I think Wilderness Lodge is nice, I'd choose either PO resort over it anyday.

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

wdwprincess03 said:
I like that resort, but for what I would consider more romantic, I'd ask to go over to Riverside. It's my favorite resort!

I agree. Riverside is more cozy and romantic. I guess I am not a fan of FQ because I am not a fan of the actual New Orleans FQ being relaxing as we always are looking over our shoulder when we visit the Big Easy. :lookaroun Riverside makes you feel you are on a southern plantation away from everyone whle relaxing by the river in an old, antebellum home.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

I adore FQ. Stayed at Riverside when it was still Dixie Landings and thought it a nice resort. Stayed at FQ some years later and it became my favorite Moderate. The size is part of the charm. Walking to the main building is a short hop. The layout of the resort is cute with all the street marked. We stayed in a building at the corner of Rue de Blues and Rue de Baga. With only one bus stop, you are not getting on the bus and traveling all over the resort before you start on you way for the day. The boat to DTD is great. I forget the exact numbers but I believe there are under 900 rooms at FQ and over 1,100 Riverside. Less people = less noise in my book. Enjoy your stay. Oh yeah, hot Beignets in the morning for breakfast are a great plus too.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

joviacdan said:
I was hoping for some input. I'm going to Disney in May for my wedding and honeymoon. I had a room booked at the Wilderness Lodge, ubt due to the high cost of the wedding, had to scale it back to a moderate resort.

I let my travel agent talk me into Port Orleans French Quarter. She said the bus service wasn't too bad here, and it was a beautiful resort.

The only moderate I've stayed at was the Caribbean Beach esort, which I loved. I stayed at Old Key West and hated it. So, what will I think of French Quarter?
Not sure why you hated OKW, but, it is not a moderate. I love POFQ, wonderful place. Nice rooms, very quiet.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there!!! I like French Quarter. I think I prefer Riverside better but as they are sister resort and are less than a 10 minute walk at a very comfortable pace from each other. I think you will enjoy it!! The advantage to a sister resort is that you may use all the amenities of both. Have you seen ictuers of this resort?? If not let me know and Ill post a link for ya!!!! Belle

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
Hi there!!! I like French Quarter. I think I prefer Riverside better but as they are sister resort and are less than a 10 minute walk at a very comfortable pace from each other. I think you will enjoy it!! The advantage to a sister resort is that you may use all the amenities of both. Have you seen ictuers of this resort?? If not let me know and Ill post a link for ya!!!! Belle

It's funny - Most people on here are saying that Riverside is the better of the 2, whereas the travel agent (who was very nice and informative) highly recommend I stay at French Quarter. She said Riverside was a bit worn down.

I think the major reason I chose FQ over Riverside is simply not wanting to have to walk long distances to the lobby and bus stops. That was biggest complaint about Old Key West.

Upvote 0
J

joviacdan

Original Poster
Gail Hayden said:
Not sure why you hated OKW, but, it is not a moderate. I love POFQ, wonderful place. Nice rooms, very quiet.

There are SEVERAL reasons I hated, well I should say, disliked, Old Key West. There isn't much at Disney I hate.

Honestly, if I won a trip to Disney, and had my choice of either staying at OKW or the All Stars - I'd chose the All Stars hands down.

I think OKW is better for people with cars. We were a good 20 minute walk from the lobby.

I also tihnk OKW looks somewhat beaten down. It just doesn't have the cleanliness and upkeep of other Disney Resorts.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

joviacdan said:
She said Riverside was a bit worn down.

I think the major reason I chose FQ over Riverside is simply not wanting to have to walk long distances to the lobby and bus stops.
I think you hit the "nail on the head" with those two points.

My experience with Riverside was when it was still Dixie Landings. I last visted Riverside in 2000. We selected Riverside based on our travel agents advice. Times have changed and your travel agent may be correct with that statement.

You could walk long distances at Riverside. There are certain rooms you can request that are close to the main lobby and bus stop.

This info is in the "unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World". The only way I would stay at Riverside today is if I could get the room close to that area and there is no guarantee.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom