• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Did anyone here move to Orlando specifically for the parks?

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Like a lot of people on here (I'm sure), I've always dreamt of moving to Orlando to be closer to the parks. I love Disney (obviously) and am a big fan of the SeaWorld parks as well. I wanted to ask fellow Disney lovers who moved to Orlando bc of WDW what their experience has been like. I always hear stories about how the magic fades and the brutal summers. Just curious to hear from you lucky people! Thanks!

DisFanMark

Advertisement
Check out 'Taking the Florida Plunge' on Facebook for a lot of feedback on this subject.

We moved here partially for Disney but not 'specifically for' Disney. I can't say the magic has faded but it has become different. But we also don't go every day nor live 'on top of' Disney either.

scorp16

I can't say the magic has faded but it has become different. But we also don't go every day nor live 'on top of' Disney either.
That’s my struggle. I live 90 minutes south. For me, I enjoy the resorts and just the immersion aspect of it all. If I lived in Windermere I just wouldn’t be immersed in the same way. I come about once a month. I’m far enough to disconnect from home. Not sure how it’d play if I was staying at WL knowing I could be home in 15 minutes to check the mail. And don’t know that I’d still stay at WL or POR if I lived that close

JIMINYCR

A friend of ours moved to get away from snow, hoping to work for Dis and have more time to play in the parks ( Not just Dis ) and have access to all other Orlando things. The job for Dis didnt work out because of the pay scale so she ended up working for another company ( not a theme park or other vacation based job) She loves it. Started running all the marathons, goes to all the events, dines all over property, enjoys popping into the parks whenever the mood hits. She tolerates the heat, prefers it over the ice & snow. Its been 6 years and she still hasnt tired of it.... it has only strengthened her Dis love.

bUU

We're moving within a year (earnest money has been paid; ground is being prepared). We're not moving specifically "for the parks", but we wanted to move; we wanted to move somewhere that was no worse in terms of taxes in retirement; we wanted to move somewhere that was no worse in terms of snow; but mostly we wanted to move somewhere where we were in a planned, programmed community of people who deliberately made the decision to move some distance for retirement so they are more likely to have no family nearby like we would (fodder for the "common interests" list). That still left loads of options, so "for the parks" becomes a determining factor after our other priorities were satisfied. If you're going to move to Central Florida, then why not live walking distance to maingate? The reality is that where we're moving is probably among only a handful of communities like that that have scheduled group trips to the parks each month; more fodder for the "common interests" list.

HoldenC

WDW was a factor in my decision to attend grad school at UCF. I was a CM for a while and now I am an AP. When I moved down I went every week religiously, funnily enough when I lived in east Orlando. Now I live in Windermere ( I can see the fireworks from my patio) and I haven't been in weeks...not because I am burnt out or anything its just I haven't been in the mood for theme parks. I have continued to frequent Typhoon and Springs.

RScottyL

Check out 'Taking the Florida Plunge' on Facebook for a lot of feedback on this subject.

We moved here partially for Disney but not 'specifically for' Disney. I can't say the magic has faded but it has become different. But we also don't go every day nor live 'on top of' Disney either.
That would be my big fear!

While I am sure I would still enjoy it, being able to go anytime you want would not be as magical!

I have thought about it alot though and would still probably do it!

Would be great to be able to go alot like some of these people on their YouTube channel and record great video and take great pictures!

ElvisMickey

That would be my big fear!

While I am sure I would still enjoy it, being able to go anytime you want would not be as magical!

I have thought about it alot though and would still probably do it!

Would be great to be able to go alot like some of these people on their YouTube channel and record great video and take great pictures!
I would have moved here for the parks but I “won the lottery” when my corporate position moved from NJ to the Orlando area in 2013. You’re right...when you can go whenever you like, it’s definitely not as magical. But it’s a million times better than still living in NJ 😜.

Surfin' Tuna

After the honeymoon period faded, we also noticed it being a little less magical in some ways. After that period passed, it has regained its magic for me. Now when I go I have no rush. I can walk (I'd sit if there were still benches) at my own pace. I can spend more time looking at people enjoying things for the first time, and I can just get lost in the stories more than I did when it was rushed.

As scorp16 said about lacking the total immersion I get that. That is the one thing I miss. Checking in at a resort and the excitement of being there and being on vacation is just different and wonderful. It allows one to decompress and really be in Disney mode just a little bit more even trying to ignore the phone once you enter the gates doesn't give that same level of separation from the real world.

Our primary motivation for moving here was for the parks. A lot had to fall into place to make it happen, but it all did. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. The only problem: the traffic is certainly getting worse.

Tony the Tigger

being able to go anytime you want would not be as magical!
That seems to be the crux of it, no matter where you live. People who live in resort towns don’t tend to vacation there as much.

I live in Fort Lauderdale. So many people come here for vacation. When I first moved down from NJ, I was at the beach a lot. Now, we only go when company comes, and we avoid the overpriced/overcrowded tourist areas. (Even Publix by the beach is more expensive than a mile west. And we live a mile west of the beach lol.)

I could see living near Disney for 5-10 years or so.

John park hopper

Both my sons and their family live in the pan handle of FL (Gulf Breeze) and love it. Very much like Charleston SC where they grew up and we (Mom and Dad) still are. Get the change of seasons but not the cold of NY where I grew up. Any of your 3 choices eliza61nyc would be a good choice plus FL no state income tax. Personally having lived in south Fl and my sister who is still there hates it and can't wait to retire and head to north FL. I can remember when I set the date to retire --great feeling

bUU

If you're going to move to Central Florida, then why not live walking distance to maingate?
Let me tilt the question in a different direction: How many of those who moved to Orlando for the parks find that they're being visited by family and friends more than when they were living elsewhere? (I suppose it is a pretty specialized question, because it requires people to have lived in at least other places prior to moving to Florida.)

My hopes about that played a small part in how the parks factored into at least my part of the decision. Although, we probably didn't really do a good job of fostering such visits: Our new home will be very small, and will have nothing but a futon for visiting family and friends to crash on. However, for close family, we do have our DVC membership that we'll be happy to use for their visits if we haven't used it ourselves already. I'm also thinking friends (from various northern cities) who wouldn't visit us here in Atlanta might just be visiting Orlando someday anyway, and will contact us when they do so. Well, at least that's the hope.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
We moved to Orlando in July 2015. We made it a year (barely) before moving back to Dallas. Orlando is a lovely place to vacation, but not a great place to live and work (particularly if you are in education, as I am). At least we can say that we tried it!
VERY interesting. Do you mind elaborating on "not a great place to live" part? I'm really curious about that. I'm sorry it didn't work out work-wise but do you think if it had you would have enjoyed Orlando more?

Tony the Tigger

How many of those who moved to Orlando for the parks find that they're being visited by family and friends more than when they were living elsewhere?
Most of us who moved to Florida are used to relatives/friends visiting and/or expecting to stay over. The guest bedroom gets real use - can’t make it into a gym!

We moved to Orlando in July 2015. We made it a year (barely) before moving back to Dallas.
This is a common tale. Many people move to Florida and go back within the first two years for various reasons.

cheezbat

I moved down to Florida 18 years ago from Wisconsin for college....to Lakeland, which is about 40 minutes from orlando. My family all moved down a couple years later. After 11 years in Lakeland, I moved to Orlando. While I loved the idea of being close to the parks, I really hated living in Orlando...too crowded, too many accidents, too loud where I lived...so different from wisconsin, and even different from my 11 years living in Lakeland. I moved out to Haines City a few years back, and while I’m still close to the parks, it’s not what I’d hoped it would be. Traffic is still terrible, the housing boom is everywhere around us, and the state isn’t keeping up the infrastructure to handle the 70+ million people that travel through Orlando every year.
I still go to all the theme parks pretty often, but it’s nowhere near as ‘magical’ as it was when I first moved here.
I go elsewhere for my magic fixes now...Disneyland numerous times, Paris last year, and hopefully China and Japan next year.

Oh...and even though I HATE the cold, it is beyond hot and humid here!

Basically, while it sounds like I’m complaining a lot, I really don’t have a choice to move back -or anywhere else for that matter. My family is all here now, as well as my fiancee’s family, and our friends...and our jobs. Not so easy to just pick up and leave.
I guess there are positives and negatives no matter where you live.

Top Bottom