Diamond Horseshoe Restaurant

TrainsOfDisney

You can only imagine with today’s AP mindset (especially at DL) what it would look like today if they tried to do a full show. It would have to be a $50pp charge to have it make sense.

??? The Horseshoe in California has always had a show and still does. It also always has a line for food and drinks so people are buying something! But what else is new at Disneyland ha.

TrainsOfDisney

Must have been thinking about DL - does WDW no longer any a al carte ordering? If charging nearly $40pp and no show that is shameful.

Disney World is using the horseshoe as a sit down dining experience. People are confusing a service that ran from 1972 to 1996 to the service that ran from 1996 to 2003 in Florida and still runs daily in California.

RobWDW1971

??? The Horseshoe in California has always had a show and still does. It also always has a line for food and drinks so people are buying something! But what else is new at Disneyland ha.
The show in Horseshoe today in DL, if you can even call it that, has no resemblance to the full show from decades ago.

TrainsOfDisney

The show in Horseshoe today in DL, if you can even call it that, has no resemblance to the full show from decades ago.

I didn’t say it did. Did you see the full show they did for a few weeks during the 60th? I planned my trip around that... it was great.

I thought the laughingstock show was about right for that venue. I haven’t seen the dueling pianos show yet.

Animaniac93-98

Must have been thinking about DL - does WDW no longer any a al carte ordering? If charging nearly $40pp and no show that is shameful.

Shameful, but true. It's a pre-plated lunch/dinner similar to what's served next door for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

People paying with DDP credits, instead of cash, makes it much easier for Disney to get away with. That an increasing number of guests having no idea what kind of entertainment used to be there.

Victor Kelly

They're already charging $39 + tax per adult, I'd be fine with an extra $10 if it got me a show.
I think $40 is plenty. Put on the show and let people cycle through at their own pace. They are hooked and already paying. Might make it attractive for people to go there. And leave it off Table credits and keep it QS only.

Hank Hill

Shameful, but true. It's a pre-plated lunch/dinner similar to what's served next door for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern.

People paying with DDP credits, instead of cash, makes it much easier for Disney to get away with. That an increasing number of guests having no idea what kind of entertainment used to be there.
My wife wanted to try it so we went. The food was fine, but not spectacular. I knew there used to be entertainment and it seemed odd to even keep the stage if they are not going to use it.

Any "show" would need to be short and repetitive to keep people moving. It is not like HDD Revue in that all are seated at the same time. I think people can cycle through before it gets repetitive and not have too many people sitting there for hours taking up a table.

People still go to and like Sci Fi Diner, and that show has been the same for decades. I see it about 1.5 times in the time it takes me to get and eat my meal, so I never want to stay long after eating. Though I wish they would change up the movie.

aladdin2007

anyone been here recently? You don't have to order the all you can eat service right there are separate menu items it looks like. Is it worth a lunch or would one of the others be better? Have dined everywhere but here so thought we would give it a try, just a party of 2. Do you sit with others or have your own table? Thanks

aladdin2007

Our (TouringPlans') reader surveys for Diamond Horseshoe over the past year are 79% approval on 130 responses. That's so far below average (89%) that it gets a "Do not eat here" recommendation.

thank you, its getting hard to find a place that is worth it. The Plaza has ruined their menu so were not interested in that anymore. Libery Tree has gone down, the castle is characters only, beauty and the beast is a zoo,,,its like not much to go with.

TrainsOfDisney

thank you, its getting hard to find a place that is worth it. The Plaza has ruined their menu so were not interested in that anymore. Libery Tree has gone down, the castle is characters only, beauty and the beast is a zoo,,,its like not much to go with.
how’s the jungle cruise restaurant? I’ve yet to try it but it looked decent. Sad to hear plaza and liberty tree have gone down :(

MadTeacup

The budget for the show specifically came from the food services purse. The show was supposed to pay for itself with the restaurant profits, but the venue was too small to generate enough revenue. It didn't help that plenty of people, like my penny-pinching parents, only ordered the bare minimum.

The Diamond Horseshoe was unique in this matter.
While there is a lot of truth in this, the show did generate a profit (Though not as much as they would have liked, perhaps). Many factors went into the decision to close it.

Touchdown

BoG is a B at best, LTT is a B-. If you want a good TS meal for your MK day you are much better off at one of the nearby resorts, between CR, Poly, GF, WL or the Fort you are looking at some of the best restaurants on the property, no matter what your price point or style you want.

aladdin2007

BoG is a B at best, LTT is a B-. If you want a good TS meal for your MK day you are much better off at one of the nearby resorts, between CR, Poly, GF, WL or the Fort you are looking at some of the best restaurants on the property, no matter what your price point or style you want.

thank you, is BoG still a wait in line cafeteria style at lunch?

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Back in the late 70’s, the Diamond Horseshoe used to run maybe six shows per day. We used to have to run to an outdoor podium at the Horseshoe to get a reservation. Then you’d show up a half hour or so before your reservation and wait in line. Those at the front of the line were ushered to the best seats, which is why you’d show up early. Once seated, they’d bring you the menu (not huge) and you’d order. As everyone was being served, the show would start. As I recall it was no more than 30 minutes. Once the show was over, everyone would leave, cm’s would clean the venue, and the whole process would repeat itself. Generally you were in and out in a little less than an hour. We loved it. My grandfather was bald, and if we were lucky enough to be seated on the floor, he’d usually get the lips on his head. I know Disney is all about the numbers, but bringing back a show similar to the original with a $30-$40 set price all inclusive sandwich menu, would make an awesome choice for a meal in the MK. Might not make a huge profit, but I would think that guest satisfaction would be positive.

Notes from Neverland

Looking at the menus, is this still an extension of Liberty Tree? We're looking at reservations and Liberty Tree is full, but Diamond is open. Trying to figure out if it's still acting as overflow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom