diagon alley

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
Hi, we are bringing our kids (boy 5 years old, girl 7 years old). Is 2 hours in diagon alley enough time to use interactive wands and ride the rides? We will be there on Nov 19th. Thanks ahead of time.

Timekeeper

Hi, we are bringing our kids (boy 5 years old, girl 7 years old). Is 2 hours in diagon alley enough time to use interactive wands and ride the rides? We will be there on Nov 19th. Thanks ahead of time.

It depends on how interested you/they are in Harry Potter stuff. Kids generally have shorter attention spans, and it tends to be the older kids and adults who really appreciate all of the details and offerings of Diagon Alley, because they tend to have more of a source of reference with the books and films. HP fans exploring DA for the first time will easily spend more than 2 hours in the area. In order to see the shows, ride, shopping, interaction, train (if you’re taking it to IOA), and maybe even dining, will require more than 2 hours. I would allocate 2 hours to passively enjoy it, but that time could easily double for the HP fan who wants to absorb the whole experience.

Livelovedisney

Original Poster
It depends on how interested you/they are in Harry Potter stuff. Kids generally have shorter attention spans, and it tends to be the older kids and adults who really appreciate all of the details and offerings of Diagon Alley, because they tend to have more of a source of reference with the books and films. HP fans exploring DA for the first time will easily spend more than 2 hours in the area. In order to see the shows, ride, shopping, interaction, train (if you’re taking it to IOA), and maybe even dining, will require more than 2 hours. I would allocate 2 hours to passively enjoy it, but that time could easily double for the HP fan who wants to absorb the whole experience.
Thanks for the info. I'm the HP fan. My kids just want to try out the interactive wands, ride the train and do some shopping.

Figgy1

Premium Member
It could be "done" in 2 hours but we spent 4 hours in there before getting, wands or riding Gringott's. It's that immersive. How big a fan are you?

lebeau

It can get a bit crowded. The earlier you can get there, the better. We used an early admission to do all our spell-casting in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Of course this is also the best time to experience the attractions, so you have to prioritize. If you are just doing Diagon Alley, I would ride Gringott's first thing and then go through all the spell locations. If you are early enough, that can easily be done in two hours. You can also easily spend more time there if you are an avid fan. There is so much to explore for those who are interested.

Jedi Stitch

I might be getting my info mixed up, but I believe I was told that if you get a Marauders Map, there are places that have special black light for extra secrets to be shown on the map.

sedati

Diagon Alley definitely lived up to they hype for me. But much like Pandora I've found there are really two levels of immersion to this type of land. Crowds will make all the difference on whether you are able to have the cliff-notes version or the deep-dive novel experience. With Pandora and Potter we got there early and hit the headliner attraction(s) without much wait. But once we emerged we found a crowded and hectic scene (this was mid-September by the way.) Each time we ended up leaving and coming back later which made a huge difference. Do your must-dos, but I'd say keep an eye on the app in the days before and see when the land thins out.

Given time and breathing room we made lots of great discoveries. I was the only one new to the land from my group and yet I was the one who found Knockturn Alley- something they had all missed previously. I noticed someone staring at Grimwald Place and was treated to a nice surprise. We didn't have wands, but spent time watching others. I made a later trip on my own at the end of Horror Nights and had the land practically to myself. Without the endless din of the crowds I discovered the amazing soundwork they put in there. There are radio broadcasts by the Menagerie and little audio scenes going on in the upper floors all around. If you've read the books, then "read" the land. There is an insane amount of signage and it all references places, characters, and history JK Rowling had invented.

I'd like to add that the Gringotts ride was good. Good enough for four rides, and I would have ridden again. There's a thrill in that they used (most) of the original actors and that you're living out a scenario from the last film, but from a new perspective. But there is something a bit restrictively linear about it. There's very little sense of discovery, and the experience is rigidly the same each time. Where the land is so layered and open self discovery, the ride loses a bit of that fun in comparison.

Last edited:

SJH'72

What kind of thrill ride is Gringotts? We just told the kids last night that we have added some Universal days to our trip next week! Having seen Kings Cross being built in 2014 and loving FJ I can’t get my head round how much more HP stuff there is to experience now.

JoeCamel

What kind of thrill ride is Gringotts? We just told the kids last night that we have added some Universal days to our trip next week! Having seen Kings Cross being built in 2014 and loving FJ I can’t get my head round how much more HP stuff there is to experience now.
Very tame, short coaster then 3D action on a screen. Almost everyone can ride and enjoy

sedati

What kind of thrill ride is Gringotts?
Agree with JoeCamel. Very mild ride especially compared to Forbidden Journey. Don't be daunted by the restraint system that gives the impression that it's going to be intense. Biggest physical thrill comes right at the beginning as you tilt then drop down into darkness. The vehicle spins a few times, but it's not too fast- certainly nowhere near the spinning on Men in Black. I'd recommend re-watching "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," at least the first half where they infiltrate the bank. This will give you context for the events you are going to participate in, though the mine carts in the film actually go through a far more intense course.

SJH'72

So we visited Universal today. The whole HP experience was amazing, great to see it all after watching it being built 3 yrs ago. The detail was incredible. Thought Gringotts was fab and will try ride again next week and managed 3 rides on FJ with single rider.

But the mummy :hungover: - never going on that again! We all found that one quite intense o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom