DHS Trolley.. Would You Approve or Oppose?

Approve or Disapprove?

• Approve

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Maybe.. Response Following

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
There are many things to love about DHS, just as there are many things to love about Buena Vista Street over at DCA.

I'd argue that one of the "cooler" parts of DCA is its streetcar. So I wonder why DHS doesn't have a Trolley system as well? After a little bit of thinking I was able to come up with a concept I hope would make WDI proud. I guess that begs the question though, could / should DHS have it's own trolley? Why or why not?

I'd love to hear what you all think. The Trolley car isn't efficient going from Point A to B, but it is a nice experience that is easy on the feet.

The 1st and 2nd picture are of the streetcar at DCA.
The 3rd picture is the current route in California
The 4th picture is my proposed route. The blue line is a siding, and the circle is a turntable (placed somewhere in front of the Chinese Theatre). I'd place the vehicle house somewhere easy to the South of RnR, and i'd have the trolley stop in the following places:
  1. Main Entrance
  2. Before Turntable (Echo Lake Side, SE)
  3. After Turntable (Hollywood Brown Derby Side, NW) (remain at siding until other trolley passes)
  4. Somewhere by Once Upon a Time / Anaheim Produce
  5. RnR
  1. Then travel back from 5 - 1, repeat

World_Showcase_Lover007

Cool idea in theory, but the parks are prob too crowded to run a trolley through the streets...plus prob not enough room at DHS with its grand total of 17 square feet of park space to justify putting in a trolley.

But I like the idea, given the role of trolleys in old Hollywood/LA before freeways. Of course this harkens to the premise of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, so that’s cool too.

Robbiem

Great idea, there was concept art with a trolley in the original MGM days but I dont know why it was never built it would have really plussed the park

Attachments

• 9B739654-5B32-426F-A5BE-40D9859D9041.jpeg
    9B739654-5B32-426F-A5BE-40D9859D9041.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 105

Texas84

Does MK still have the old time vehicles?

It could be done at DHS. At DCA it's basically a small parade with a CM walking in front of it clearing the way.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'm not 100% on the turntable idea but I think it'd look cool. This idea sort of sparked my interest when I saw the "tracks" over by RnR and ToT. It's almost like they thought about it, but decided to tease the idea instead.

@World_Showcase_Lover007
I was concerned about the space too... But then I thought, if Disneyland can bottleneck people during a parade down Mainstreet, one or two trolley cars isn't going to do much damage in DHS.

Last edited:

World_Showcase_Lover007

I'm not 100% on the turntable idea but I think it'd look cool. This idea sort of sparked my interest when I saw the "tracks" over by RnR and ToT. It's almost like they thought about it, but decided to tease the idea instead.

@World_Showcase_Lover007
I was concerned about the space... But then I thought, if Disneyland can bottleneck people during a parade down Mainstreet, one or two trolley cars isn't going to do much damage in DHS.
This is very true...and it all works out fine in Disneyland. The other positive is that trolleys would give Sunset and Hollywood Blvds. a kinetic vibe that one experiences in real cities. DHS wouldnt just be stagnant, like it is when the streetmosphere actors aren’t around. I’m all for It...

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Nearly a quarter of voters so far have said no, but I don't see a response stating why it wouldn't work. Any of my friendly nay-Sayers care to comment?

Phonedave

I just think that with a combination of our Lawsuit happy society, and everybody walking around with their eyes glued to their phones, a trolley is just too much of a liability for WDW. I would love to see it happen, and I think it is a great concept, but I doubt it ever will come to light, because of the potential litigation.

JIMINYCR

I'd like it, its too bad it wasnt done years ago. The fit of a trolley would have added immensely to the theming of the park. But I'm afraid with the park being so much more jam packed, it just no longer would work.
MK's trolley still exists because its been a long time park feature.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I just think that with a combination of our Lawsuit happy society, and everybody walking around with their eyes glued to their phones, a trolley is just too much of a liability for WDW. I would love to see it happen, and I think it is a great concept, but I doubt it ever will come to light, because of the potential litigation.

Thanks! I can see your point. However, over at DCA they have a cast member walk in front of the trolley at all times. They're also equipped with bells & whistles, which I imagine would be enough itself.

LaughingGravy

Nearly a quarter of voters so far have said no, but I don't see a response stating why it wouldn't work. Any of my friendly nay-Sayers care to comment?
My company provides some of the equipment on the Red Car :), but I get no benefit.
The infrastructure to equip it for its charging at each end is a big, but not impossible project.
Think TDA vs TDO and that will probably answer your question.
Trees and benches need to be maintained, thus there are so few in FL compared to CA, for the castle parks.
If we cut them, we don't need to maintain them, and we pass the savings along to ....oh, never mind.

Phonedave

Thanks! I can see your point. However, over at DCA they have a cast member walk in front of the trolley at all times. They're also equipped with bells & whistles, which I imagine would be enough itself.

I look at what they did at WDW when that kid was killed by the gator, and I think differently.

I just got back from a trip to Iceland, and it was very refreshing over there. Here is a 50' cliff, and here is an sign, saying "warning, cliff". No rope, no flashing lights, no clear glass guardrail. Just a warning sign. If you fall of that cliff, that's your fault, you were warned. I could see the trolley concept working in Iceland.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I look at what they did at WDW when that kid was killed by the gator, and I think differently.

I just got back from a trip to Iceland, and it was very refreshing over there. Here is a 50' cliff, and here is an sign, saying "warning, cliff". No rope, no flashing lights, no clear glass guardrail. Just a warning sign. If you fall of that cliff, that's your fault, you were warned. I could see the trolley concept working in Iceland.

I mean if you wish to discuss warning signs, lawsuits and legal proceedings, that is an entirely different subject than rather or not a trolley at DHS would be a good addition.

Phonedave

I mean if you wish to discuss warning signs, lawsuits and legal proceedings, that is an entirely different subject than rather or not a trolley at DHS would be a good addition.

That was not your original questions

I'd argue that one of the "cooler" parts of DCA is its streetcar. So I wonder why DHS doesn't have a Trolley system as well? After a little bit of thinking I was able to come up with a concept I hope would make WDI proud. I guess that begs the question though, could / should DHS have it's own trolley? Why or why not?
(emphasis mine)

So to answer your questions

Why not - Cost, SWGE and Toy Story have depleted their capital budgets for the time being. Liability, as I discussed

Could they - They could, but they would have to overcome cost and the liability issue

Should they - I would love to see one, Just don't think we will anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom