DHS Thrill Rides - How Scary?

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
During my last trip, threads like this encouraged me to try Expedition Everest and Space Mountain. Now that I'm back in WDW, I'm thinking about trying the final two theme park thrill rides. The problem is, the two thrill rides that I haven't been on are the most thrilling in WDW: Tower of Terror, and Rock n Roller Coaster.

1. How scary are ToT and RnRC?
2. I don't mind dropping on EE or Splash Mountain, but I don't love the feeling. Would I hate ToT?
3. How intense is RnRC (especially the beginning)? What are the inversions like, and are there drops?

If you can help me with any of these questions, I would appreciate it a lot. I have Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to make up my mind, and I would really love to try these rides. I'm just really scared and I don't know if I can handle them.

primetime52

During my last trip, threads like this encouraged me to try Expedition Everest and Space Mountain. Now that I'm back in WDW, I'm thinking about trying the final two theme park thrill rides. The problem is, the two thrill rides that I haven't been on are the most thrilling in WDW: Tower of Terror, and Rock n Roller Coaster.

2. I don't mind dropping on EE or Splash Mountain, but I don't love the feeling. Would I hate ToT?
3. How intense is RnRC (especially the beginning)? What are the inversions like, and are there drops?

If you can help me with any of these questions, I would appreciate it a lot. I have Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday to make up my mind, and I would really love to try these rides. I'm just really scared and I don't know if I can handle them.

If you liked Expedition Everest, you can probably handle RNRC. The beginning is somewhat intense, but its only about 3 seconds and the rest is smooth cruising. You go upside down a couple of times but the inversions are very quick. The largest drop in EE is much bigger than any drops in RNRC, it's basically a drop-free coaster.

TOT might scare you if you really hate that dropping feeling. Have you ever tried anything like it before? I know that most county fairs have free fall rides which offer a similar sensation. Honestly though, TOT rarely ever offers a "long" drop, it's mostly just several drops that always seem to be cut short before it lifts you back up to the top. With the new random drop sequence, you are lucky (or in your case unlucky) if you get 1 full drop during the sequence. It might be worth a try, because alot of people try it thinking they will hate it, but then once they get off the ride they wonder why they were ever so scared. Be brave and give it a shot!

DisneyAnole

TOT isn't nearly as bad as you'd expect. The drops are so quick that they aren't worse than drops on rollercoasters.

RNR isn't very bad either. The launch is the most exciting part. The few inversions aren't bad at all.

You should definitely try both of them. If you can handle M:S orange, you'll be fine with either of these.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
With ToT, I'm pretty unsure. The closest thing I've done to a freefall ride is Jumpin Jellyfish in DCA. Also, I get freaked out by elevators that go up and down really fast (like in tall buildings).

RnRC, I'm getting interested in trying. I know the launch is 5 G's, but I'm sure it is tolerable. What happens right after the launch?

Thanks, primetime52 and DisneyAnole. If I can get myself to try even one of the rides, that would be great. I'm definitely getting interested in RnRC, but maybe I could end up trying ToT as well.

phenom1307

With ToT, I'm pretty unsure. The closest thing I've done to a freefall ride is Jumpin Jellyfish in DCA. Also, I get freaked out by elevators that go up and down really fast (like in tall buildings).

RnRC, I'm getting interested in trying. I know the launch is 5 G's, but I'm sure it is tolerable. What happens right after the launch?

Thanks, primetime52 and DisneyAnole. If I can get myself to try even one of the rides, that would be great. I'm definitely getting interested in RnRC, but maybe I could end up trying ToT as well.

i believe it goes into a loop

kc1296426

After the launch you head right into a roll over inversion, which would take you upside down twice. I believe the G's in the first loop are around 5 G's, but going upside down isn't really bad at all, it just feels like you are going straight without stopping. I believe you should be fine, especially when RNR is in the dark and you don't get to see a lot of the surroundings or track so the fear doesn't really set in to bad.

If you still aren't sure on what the first two loops look like, or you're feeling a little antsy, check them out in this picture. This coaster has the same exact track and inversions as RNR, but outdoors.
http://rcdb.com/ig769.htm?picture=5

the-reason14

I remember back in teh day when I used to be hesitant to ride certain coasters (my six flags days), I would just say to myself, Ill either love it or hate it. If I hate it, it'll be just a few minutes of discomfort then Ill never have to deal with it again. If I love it, Ill continue to ride it and say it was fun. Either way, I left with a great experience and I can say, hey I did that one. All of em I enjoyed anyway.

You may just have to look at it that way. Tot is about 4 minutes I think, but the drop portion is much shorter. IMO the drops arent intense at all, esp. compared to free fall rides like the Dungeon Drop at the now gone Six Flags Astroworld, or Superman Tower of Power at Six Flags over Texas. Its a great ride and experience, and even if you dont like it, which Im sure you will, you can say I rode it once.

Now Rockin coaster is pretty intense I guess you can say, but its not the most intense coaster ever. Its like Everest but a few notches up, but I think you'll enjoy it. Oh yea, but if you dont like loud noise blaring in your ear, I would skip Rrcc, most of it is loud noise, but they warn you about that ahead of time, and Im sure that wont bother you as much as me. If it does, just use earplugs.

Anyway, I hope you have fun.

WDWFREAK53

This is what I remember from my first rides on both of these attractions.

1. Tower of Terror.

I wasn't a big "thrill-ride" fan but I was with Dad at the time and couldn't "wimp" out with him. I remember I was EXTREMELY nervous. I didn't talk to him the entire time we were in line. (I will admit, the anticipation of "what might happen" is worse than the actual attraction. I prepared myself for the first "big one" to the point where I said, "That's IT?!?!?" and then the ride was a blast. We exited, and walked right back on.

2. Rock n Rollercoaster.

I had done rollercoasters before so I really wasn't worried about this one as much. (I hate drops). As we're in the "alley" and see the first train launch...the nerves immediately set in. We sat in the very last row of the train and I clenched those handles as hard as I could (you can probably still see indents in them :lol: ). The launch is insane the first time. It was so bad that I almost wouldn't ride it again. I really had a problem with it. My father liked it so much that I decided to do it again. This time around we sat towards the front of the train and I didn't have a problem at all. I can't explain the logic of it...but still, to this day, that launch is more intense from the rear of the train as it is the front of the train.

I would say that for about 3 seconds, the Rock n Rollercoaster is the worst Disney attraction as far as intensity goes...but after that it's pretty tame.

Going upside down is nothing...you really won't even know it because it's in the dark. You'll "feel" the corkscrew more than the standard inversion after the launch because you know it's coming from the street sign.

KHockett

One thing about TOT is not to sit in the front row. If you are afraid of heights at all, the front row can be scarier. If you sit in the third row along the side, there are lots of places to hang on. The drops in and of themselves are not that bad. It really is more of the anticipation but they aren't that bad.

RNRC is intense. The ride is very fun. It doesn't really jostle you about as much as other rides. As long as you don't get sick, you should be fine. The darkness factor is good because you can't see what's coming.

Have fun!

mickeysaver

I was a self proclaimed rollercoaster wuss. My father loved rollercoasters and he tried to share that love with me at Six Flags & Opryland, but I HATED rollercoasters. Flash forward about 20 years and I come in contact with SPMnt....tried it and it was jerky, but fun. I tried BTMRR, which is now my favorite of all time! I tried RnR, and almost hurled afterwards, but I rode it a few more times :ROFLOL: since then and I have been fine. I am finding that as I continue to age that RnR is starting to lose some of it's appeal. I love the inversions, but that launch takes my breath away and makes me feel like a coronary is coming sooner rather than later in my life. Personally, I don't want to contemplate my mortality at WDW! :ROFLOL:

I last rode EE a couple of years ago. I liked it quite a bit, but it's very over hyped on "thrill" at least in my book. It's a neat coaster, but I would ride BTMRR 20 times before I would wait in a line over 20 minutes to ride EE once.

Disney4Eva

RnRC was my first upside-down ride, too. I was petrified to go on it. But once I did, I found myself addicted to anything that went upside-down XD I had so much adrenaline pumping through my system, I was skipping out of the attraction in the best mood ever XD I wanted to ride it over & over. I say go for it

ToT is one of my favorite rides. Not because of the drop (which I do love), but because of the story & scenery and everything. I wouldn't miss out on this. The drop isn't bad. You may lift off the seat a bit, but I wouldn't call it the most thrilling ride there is. Give it a shot

lilclerk

If you really hate drops, you might not be a huge fan of ToT since that's really all it is, but it isn't nearly as bad as you probably think. I was very nervous before I went on the first time, and now it's one of my favorites. Give it a shot, at least you'll know for sure if you like it or not.

RnRC is so fast and dark, it's over before you know it. It's not really all that scary. The launch is the most intense part.

cushion

its not that bad

rock and roller coaster is ok..not one to knock yourself out over...its a fun fast ride with a fun pre ride show and wait...

but the pre ride show and wait for tower of terror, is actually most of the fun...just getting to the wait line is a fun experience, and when your in the lift..the ride before the drop is so brilliant its well worth screaming your head off when you do drop....and go up...then drop again..then go up again before you drop ...again...its brilliant, you should not miss this ride..

ill be on it many times in a months time when i get there...i cant wait to scream...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

amandagibbins

RNR makes me laugh its fast but not fast enough and i wish i could turn the music up a bit and TOT i screamed like a girl (oh wait i am a girl) so i screamed but my then four year old loved it:D and he is counting down the days til he can ride again

tigfan

1. Drops: First of all, don't even count the EE drop. The sensation you get from that one isn't the same as the traditional feeling when people refer to roller coaster drops. Splash is closer to that type of drop. If the drop on Splash bothers you in any way, then you may want to consider avoiding ToT. My GF rode ToT once and has never ridden it again because of the drop. That was before they added multiple drops. Personally, I love ToT, but I also like drops.

2. RnRC: You will have no problem with this. People describe the beginning as "intense" but that's a huge overstatement. It's just a very sudden and fast acceleration through a tunnel. Sounds intense, yes, but its really just fun. From that point on, it's not scary or intense at all. There are inversions, but the fact that it's indoors and in the dark make the inversions a completely different experience from outdoor coasters. For one thing, you have no perspective as far as how high up you are like you do with outdoor coasters, and that makes a huge difference. Ride RnRC, you'll love it!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice! Today, Hollywood Studios was the first park I went to and I immediately went on RnRC.

RnRC: It was a lot of fun! The launch kind of freaked me out, but then the ride seemed to slow down a little. The upside down portions were a lot of fun, and I loved all the LA icons. I went on the ride four times, and I was a little disappointed because I got one song three times (Dude Looks Like a Lady), but the ride was awesome and I can't wait to ride it again.

ToT: I didn't love it as much as RnRC, but I still liked it a lot. The anticipation is the scariest part, and the twilight zone effects are awesome. The drops are all so short that they didn't really bother me at all (I still screamed every time). I liked this ride a lot, and I definitely want to ride it a few more times.

I'm back at the Contemporary now, but I've very happy that I got to ride RnRC 4 times and ToT 2 times. I liked them both a lot. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom