DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

Twirlnhurl

I would expect the bridge to go away entirely, based on the stub ramps that were built along with the new ramp from Osceola Parkway west into the DHS cast member parking.

As far as parking garages are concerned, I think that they are inevitably going to need to be built if the park is going to expand much beyond its current footprint. But a parking garage of that size would probably cost something like $300 million dollars, if they were built to a similar standard as the ones at Disney Springs. With that kind of cost, I would imagine that Disney will wait as long as they can.

Universal built their parking garages in Orlando in 1996 in anticipation of IOA opening in 1999 But when that park flopped, they had one of the largest parking garages in the world sitting half empty for years. In 2003-2004 when I went a couple dozen times, I never once was parked in the south garage. So something that expensive should be put off until you are absolutely sure you need it.

MickeyMouse10

Universal built their parking garages in Orlando in 1996 in anticipation of IOA opening in 1999 But when that park flopped, they had one of the largest parking garages in the world sitting half empty for years. In 2003-2004 when I went a couple dozen times, I never once was parked in the south garage. So something that expensive should be put off until you are absolutely sure you need it.

Perhaps they only need to build one parking deck. And the rest of the land can used for expansions (Indy), a new land (Cars) or possibly a new resort.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So is the bridge going away entirely? Or just pan pacific theming?

Going away entirely. They way the roads were re-routed there it is no longer needed.

Hollywood should have parking decks. It feels like a waste having just the ordinary parking.

Parking decks are dramatically more expensive per spot then a surface lot, so they won't build them until there is no other choice. DHS still has plenty of land to work with so I don't see them doing garages any time soon.

MickeyMouse10

Parking decks are dramatically more expensive per spot then a surface lot, so they won't build them until there is no other choice. DHS still has plenty of land to work with so I don't see them doing garages any time soon.

It's prime real estate that can be used more effectively. Disney can't build on some of it's land, because either it's not safe or because it's set aside for nature.

Animal Kingdom's parking deck could even include a new Gondola Station and route.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's prime real estate that can be used more effectively. Disney can't build on some of it's land, because either it's not safe or because it's set aside for nature.

Animal Kingdom's parking deck could even include a new Gondola Station and route.

All the land between the park and Victory way was released from the conservation easement a couple years ago, so it's likely that they will build on it at some point. They can build pretty much anywhere they want, it's just a question of how difficult the work will be.

AK has plenty of expansion room behind Asia, so there won't be any need to expand into the parking lot any time soon.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
After going back and looking at the permits, I question the removal of the bridge. The original plan had a new ramp connecting West bound Osceola to North bound World Drive and the elimination of the entrance road from North World Drive. The new ramp has still not been complete as you can see in the aerial, so if the bridge is removed there will be no direct route from Osceola to World Drive.

roj2323

Original Poster
After going back and looking at the permits, I question the removal of the bridge. The original plan had a new ramp connecting West bound Osceola to North bound World Drive and the elimination of the entrance road from North World Drive. The new ramp has still not been complete as you can see in the aerial, so if the bridge is removed there will be no direct route from Osceola to World Drive.

View attachment 419444

View attachment 419445

Your concern makes sense but roads is one thing that Disney tends to quickly so I can see them installing the remainder of the ramp in 1-2 months. After that's in they could go to town on demoing the bridge in short order.

joelkfla

Your concern makes sense but roads is one thing that Disney tends to quickly so I can see them installing the remainder of the ramp in 1-2 months. After that's in they could go to town on demoing the bridge in short order.
And it's all at grade; no additional bridge work needed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, but the rumor is that the bridge will be demoed on November 5th. I don't see them having that other ramp done by then.

FutureWorld1982

Yes, but the rumor is that the bridge will be demoed on November 5th. I don't see them having that other ramp done by then.
The road that will close on Nov. 5 is the one going under the bridge (shown in red in the image below), which allows Cast Members to access the BB-8 parking lot from World Drive. Once that's closed, they can start working on the new ramp connecting Osceola Parkway to World Drive (shown in blue).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 17.39.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 17.39.08 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 395

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The road that will close on Nov. 5 is the one going under the bridge (shown in red in the image below), which allows Cast Members to access the BB-8 parking lot from World Drive. Once that's closed, they can start working on the new ramp connecting Osceola Parkway to World Drive (shown in blue).

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom