DHS Parking lot remodel and expansion

roj2323

Original Poster
Looks like they are getting started on this massive project Monday January 9th.

capture-jpg.129835

Yellow areas are being filled in and turned into parking and a new park entry.

Last edited:

roj2323

Original Poster
IMG_3738.JPG

This New green fencing is cutting off two rows of cast parking (the handicap parking) across the entire parking lot. this goes from the tram lane to the park entry road on the far side so it is a HUGE area that's being fenced off. The lines up fairly evenly with the charter bus lot on the other side of the tram lanes so I think this might have something to do with the drainage reconfiguration work but I guess we will see.

In other news there's several sections of guard rail along the entry road that have been removed. These sections are deliberate in location and are wide enough for a two lane road so I suspect this will become construction access gates. sometime over the next week or so.

Last edited:

jt04

That's possible since that is employee parking. A big chunk of that is also handicap parking, wonder where they have moved that for now?

I guess they would just move it back a few rows. Anyway, after the parking is reconfigured, I would guess this area will not be part of it. Rather this will be the new park boundary on that side. In any case, good to see progress.

roj2323

Original Poster
Correct, the handicap parking was moved back. The next row was converted to handicap spaces the day before the original handicap spaces got fenced off.

I noticed they added a row. Did they do it by pounding the poles in the black top or are they using something more temporary ?

Sped2424

No parking garage for a parking lot that already got full during the osborne lights days..I am not sure this expansion can handle star wars. I know the park capacity wise won't be able too.

roj2323

Original Poster
No parking garage for a parking lot that already got full during the osborne lights days..I am not sure this expansion can handle star wars. I know the park capacity wise won't be able too.
They are expanding the parking by a third to a half and the park is growing significantly with the addition of TSL which was previously all off stage and SWL is also building into areas that were previously off stage as well. These park additions will add probably 20,000 to the previous maximum park capacity and the new parking will add 6000-8000 more parking spaces. Personally I think Disney will be providing plenty of parking when all is said and done and the park will have plenty of guest capacity when all is said and done. Now as for attraction/ride capacity compared to park capacity, that's an entirely different argument and something I do beleive they will need to address after both SWL and TSL are open.

Sped2424

They are expanding the parking by a third to a half and the park is growing significantly with the addition of TSL which was previously all off stage and SWL is also building into areas that were previously off stage as well. These park additions will add probably 20,000 to the previous maximum park capacity and the new parking will add 6000-8000 more parking spaces. Personally I think Disney will be providing plenty of parking when all is said and done and the park will have plenty of guest capacity when all is said and done. Now as for attraction/ride capacity compared to park capacity, that's an entirely different argument and something I do beleive they will need to address after both SWL and TSL are open.
That still wont be enough to handle the crowds en masse for Star wars I'm sorry it just won't. Not efficiently they still need 2 more lands imo before things get nice. I am not denying that the current expansions aren't nice but they aren't enough. The park is going to have more guest capacity than now sure, but for the crowds and popularity of star wars it's going to be an absolute crap show. As for 20,000 were are you getting your numbers from? And ride capacity is the exact issue i am talking about. If crowds swarm DHS for SWL for however long DHS does not have the amount of attractions to keep wait times manageable. Even with the addition of a spinner and family coaster DHS needs way more.

doctornick

Last I heard garages were cut, originally destined for the Music and Film lots. It was mainly for when SWL was going to take out a chunk of Television for Alcatraz.

Also, regarding the fence. A new tram lane was considered (Dont know if approved) for the expansion, so I wouldnt be surprised if that is what that is.

While the move of Star Wars to a different location is well known, this is a bummer IMHO. Not going with garages suggests to me that there are no plans to expand the park boundaries into the current parking lots. I had hoped that might still be on the table to a yet approved expansion and they'd plan ahead to make it possible.

It would be nice if they could take out the Indy stage and expand somewhat into the parking for some in park additions.

doctornick

I suspect they'll move cast parking to the new southern lots (that are directly backstage and would have views of ongoing construction) and convert the current CM parking to guest use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom