DHS New Attraction coming this summer! - The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow

FigmentJedi

My guess is that this will be the male equivalent to Storytimes with Belle. It looks to be an elaborate walkthrough with a character meet and greet at the end. While not amazing, it would be better than Narnia which was simply a themed room with a trailer.
Not quite the male equivalent. After all, there's going to be a ton of teenage and older fangirls in there.

djkidkaz

The first opinion comes in on this attraction:

"The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is like a big pirate episode of Dora the Explorer- they tell you to say things and do actions."

They give it a 4 out of 10.

[credit: Touring Plans]

gonnichi

So is this the only type of attraction what we can expect from TDO without being pushed from higher ups? Are we supposed to get all excited about this. Most of the new attractions are so cheap and are only small minor shows. We get Monster's Inc laugh Floor, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, Pete's Silly Side Show, Turtle Talk with Crush, Agent P's, Jedi Training Academy, Wild Africa Trek, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Princess Hall meet and greet, Disney Junior Live on Stage, Jack Sparrow Tutorial. All of these are great fun but is it bad of me to want another Attraction like Splash Mt, Tower of Terror, and Haunted Mansion. I want a great new Major attraction that is totally Immersive and not in Universal.

The Empress Lilly

So is this the only type of attraction what we can expect from TDO without being pushed from higher ups? Are we supposed to get all excited about this. Most of the new attractions are so cheap and are only small minor shows. We get Monster's Inc laugh Floor, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, Pete's Silly Side Show, Turtle Talk with Crush, Agent P's, Jedi Training Academy, Wild Africa Trek, Enchanted Tales with Belle, Princess Hall meet and greet, Disney Junior Live on Stage, Jack Sparrow Tutorial. All of these are great fun but is it bad of me to want another Attraction like Splash Mt, Tower of Terror, and Haunted Mansion. I want a great new Major attraction that is totally Immersive and not in Universal.
Focus groups and exit polls tell Disney that guests want interactive experiences. Journey into YOUR Caribbean etc.

One can only assume WDW asks the wrong questions at the polls. We want Splash, ToT and HM indeed. Not these stinking 'say arrrr and hold up your cardboard for Belle' experiences.

Thrill Seeker

So yesterday was a cast preview... I did it twice. It's set up similarly to a circle-vision experience. You stand in a room with lots of props and surrounded by rock walls and a giant screen. It uses some really cool projection effects to immerse you in the story. I thought for being a minor attraction, it was pretty good. Much better than Narnia. Just go in expecting a circle vision like experience and you'll probably like it.

dreamscometrue

Focus groups and exit polls tell Disney that guests want interactive experiences. Journey into YOUR Caribbean etc.

One can only assume WDW asks the wrong questions at the polls. We want Splash, ToT and HM indeed. Not these stinking 'say arrrr and hold up your cardboard for Belle' experiences.

I don't disagree at all, we need more e-ticket attractions property wide, but nothing wrong with putting in some 'A' and 'B' ticket attractions as well. They've been around since day 1 at DL, and add to the atmosphere and experience. We just have to remember what they are and enjoy them as such. :)

The Duck

Here's a video so judge for yourselves. I'm just glad that the Narnia commercial is gone but it almost seems like a kicked up version of the Pirate Tutorial. Also, what's with the new voice of Davy Jones? o_O

HM GhostHostess

I thought this attraction was going to be more about the film making process of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, such as showcasing the special effects and props. They really could have made this something along the lines of what you would've found on the Inside the Magic - Special Effects and Production Tour portion of the original Backlot Tour.

I am sick and tired of these "interactive" minor attractions being made in place of attractions that have more substance to them. The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow is another waste of time. At least Journey into Narnia had props and costumes from the movie that you could see.

It seems as though the Walt Disney Company doesn't have a clue what the actual theme and idea is behind the Disney-MGM Studios. The majority of the park should be dedicated to pulling back the curtain on the film making process. Nowadays, it has just become a dumping ground for random attractions, which aren't very ground-breaking or fantastic IMO, that are associated with a movie. For example, instead of having the sub-par video game attraction that is known as Toy Story Mania, we could have gotten a walk-through attraction that would teach us about the history of the Pixar company.

Much like Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios has become a theme park where none of its new attractions meet the the criteria for fitting the theme of the park or land, being educational and entertaining, or being an impressive attraction.

novawildcat18

Here's a video so judge for yourselves. I'm just glad that the Narnia commercial is gone but it almost seems like a kicked up version of the Pirate Tutorial. Also, what's with the new voice of Davy Jones? o_O

I think it's pretty cool. Maybe I'm a little biased because I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow.

WDWLover#1

The brand-new ‘The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow’ Pirates of the Caribbean experience began operating in soft opening mode this morning, allowing the first guests to visit the high-tech show and enter the world of the popular film franchise. The attraction, which will officially open on December 6, 2012, is located at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, in Soundstage 4 (between Toy Story Mania! and the Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream exhibit.
Like its predecessor, the Chronicles of Narnia experiences, the show begins in a pre-show area, in which a talking skull a la the original Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, introduces the show and questions the integrity of those waiting to go inside and join Jack Sparrow’s crew.
For the main show, guests enter a large room which is decorated with various props along the sides and features a large scale model of the Black Pearl which serves as a portion of the show’s projection screen. Using Disney’s high-resolution, projection mapping system such as the one used in ‘The Magic, the Memories and You’ and ‘Celebrate the Magic,’ the now floating skull invites the pirate pledge holding the iron key (chosen prior to the show) to ‘insert it into the treasure chest’ (the child really just holds it up) and the show begins. From here, the audience journeys through each of the films in an immersive show that involves physical and lighting effects in addition to the projections: from a skeleton army to Davy Jones to the Kraken and more, the lifelike projections also appear to literally fly off the screen along the back of the wall to over the Black Pearl and other objects inside the room. Eventually Captain Jack Sparrow himself appears aboard the ship and, after defeating Davy Jones, leads guests through the pirate’s oath in a way that only Jack Sparrow can.
The show is billed as interactive, but it’s really only in the vein of television shows like ‘Jake and the Never Land Pirates’ as guests are encouraged to engage in activities such as yelling out phrases and stomping their feet.
Below is our video of the full experience as well as a brief look at some of the props which include many from the films such as Elizabeth Swann’s corset, the ‘Pirates – Ye be warned’ sign and more, along with many sight gags such as my favorite, the pirate who died by cannonball.

dreamscometrue

I'm just glad that the Narnia commercial is gone but it almost seems like a kicked up version of the Pirate Tutorial. Also, what's with the new voice of Davy Jones? o_O

Thanks for posting the video. It's looks rather decent for what it is supposed to be...a minor attraction. The video is good, but attractions are always so much better experienced live. Looking forward to checking this one out next month.

dreamscometrue

The brand-new ‘The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow’ Pirates of the Caribbean experience began operating in soft opening mode this morning, allowing the first guests to visit the high-tech show and enter the world of the popular film franchise. The attraction, which will officially open on December 6, 2012, is located at Disney’s Hollywood Studios, in Soundstage 4 (between Toy Story Mania! and the Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream exhibit.
Like its predecessor, the Chronicles of Narnia experiences, the show begins in a pre-show area, in which a talking skull a la the original Pirates of the Caribbean attraction, introduces the show and questions the integrity of those waiting to go inside and join Jack Sparrow’s crew.
For the main show, guests enter a large room which is decorated with various props along the sides and features a large scale model of the Black Pearl which serves as a portion of the show’s projection screen. Using Disney’s high-resolution, projection mapping system such as the one used in ‘The Magic, the Memories and You’ and ‘Celebrate the Magic,’ the now floating skull invites the pirate pledge holding the iron key (chosen prior to the show) to ‘insert it into the treasure chest’ (the child really just holds it up) and the show begins. From here, the audience journeys through each of the films in an immersive show that involves physical and lighting effects in addition to the projections: from a skeleton army to Davy Jones to the Kraken and more, the lifelike projections also appear to literally fly off the screen along the back of the wall to over the Black Pearl and other objects inside the room. Eventually Captain Jack Sparrow himself appears aboard the ship and, after defeating Davy Jones, leads guests through the pirate’s oath in a way that only Jack Sparrow can.
The show is billed as interactive, but it’s really only in the vein of television shows like ‘Jake and the Never Land Pirates’ as guests are encouraged to engage in activities such as yelling out phrases and stomping their feet.
Below is our video of the full experience as well as a brief look at some of the props which include many from the films such as Elizabeth Swann’s corset, the ‘Pirates – Ye be warned’ sign and more, along with many sight gags such as my favorite, the pirate who died by cannonball.

Thanks for posting. Ongoing discussion here, btw.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...legend-of-captain-jack-sparrow.836691/page-12

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom