DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Crazydisneyfanluke

Interesting permit today for 501 Stage Lane which is the address of AFI. The permit is for "Permanent Prop Installation". The contractor is
MVB & Associates which is not one I am familiar with. From their web site they seem to be just a general construction contractor. I would have thought this building would be on the chopping block in the not to distant future so I am not sure what they could be installing.
It says in their about us page that they focus on projecst below $1 million. No idea what it could be.

pax_65

On the other hand, how many families will save to visit Avatar? Easy. None. Zip. Zilch.

All this negativity makes me blue.

twebber55

It's not about about attendance to the theme parks. It's about with property will bet people to spend $5,000+ on their magical Disney vacation – the hotels, the merchandise, the Disney Dining Plans, etc.

How many families will now save for years to spend a week at WDW to visit a SW Land?

On the other hand, how many families will save to visit Avatar? Easy. None. Zip. Zilch.

Does it now make AK more desirable for one day of a vacation? Absolutely. Does it motivate someone to spend thousands on a Disney vacation? Absolutely not.
look im all for star wars being huge but keep in mind when I read your post im reminded you bet me Planes would make more money than How to train a dragon 2, so allow me to question your prognostications lol

YodaMan

I'm a former employee and was told that work of some sort has already started where SWW merch was this year (the old Studio tour queue). Hence why there was no Oaken's Trading Post this year

Interesting permit today for 501 Stage Lane which is the address of AFI. The permit is for "Permanent Prop Installation". The contractor is
MVB & Associates which is not one I am familiar with. From their web site they seem to be just a general construction contractor. I would have thought this building would be on the chopping block in the not to distant future so I am not sure what they could be installing.

Well, clearly something is happening...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Amen. Gosh if you guys could see how excited the new generation of imagineers feel about this. Some of the craziest never before done tech has been thought of. We even have interactive R2 units but they, The BOD, just aren't taking them seriously since they lack the imagery of what can be done within budget.

Glad they are enjoying themselves for the moment, It will not take long for Mahogany Row to crush their souls.

YodaMan

It was 'Wandering Oakens' last year for the holidays, would not surprise me if they do it again

If they were doing Wandering Oaken's again, surely they would have gotten it done in time for Frozen Summer Fun. Someone said something Pixar was coming (which might tide people over like Launch Bay), but I could just as easily see them doing something for the holidays (Santa Goofy used to meet not to far from here).

doctornick

If those are the 2 ideas, I am glad they went back to the drawing boards... I really find it Lazy when theme parks re-use the same technology and re-theme it *Cough* (Transformers/Spiderman) *Cough*. We don't need another motion simulator (Star Tours) ride... I am already dreading what I am seeing with the Avatar (Soaring 2.0) ride. Gringotts was a nice mix of technology. I would not expect anything less than that on an e-ride in SWL. This is stressing me out... :hungover: and to think we got half a decade to go.

It's funny, because I feel the complete opposite. I do not care what system is used. Reuse the same system a hundred times if you like -- it's the quality of the experience that matters, not the uniqueness of the tech. I feel like people get way too hot and bothered about using the latest most sophisticated tech, but I tend to find that the score, scenery, humor, etc makes a ride more than simply innovative tech (i.e. it's how it's used, not what is used).

I don't want to see either of the new SW rides be simulators like Star Tours, not because there's something wrong with that system, but because it wouldn't add much to the area. ST is flexible and can add new destinations and experiences, so they should unlock it to its fullest (plus it has pretty large capacity with 6 pods so its a good people eating ride for the land). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the headline rides be predominantly a simulation/screen based attraction but it needs to be done in a way that sets it apart from Star Tours and adds a new distinct experience.

Mikejakester

It's funny, because I feel the complete opposite. I do not care what system is used. Reuse the same system a hundred times if you like -- it's the quality of the experience that matters, not the uniqueness of the tech. I feel like people get way too hot and bothered about using the latest most sophisticated tech, but I tend to find that the score, scenery, humor, etc makes a ride more than simply innovative tech (i.e. it's how it's used, not what is used).

I don't want to see either of the new SW rides be simulators like Star Tours, not because there's something wrong with that system, but because it wouldn't add much to the area. ST is flexible and can add new destinations and experiences, so they should unlock it to its fullest (plus it has pretty large capacity with 6 pods so its a good people eating ride for the land). I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the headline rides be predominantly a simulation/screen based attraction but it needs to be done in a way that sets it apart from Star Tours and adds a new distinct experience.

Ok, you disagree on your first paragraph only to agree with me once again on your second paragraph. :confused::cautious:

doctornick

Ok, you disagree on your first paragraph only to agree with me once again on your second paragraph. :confused::cautious:

I have no problem with them building other Star Tours type rides in WDW, I just wouldn't have them in the same land. I think people get way too caught up on trying not to duplicate ride systems that it is silly (e.g. people who saw we shouldn't bring Indiana Jones or RSR to WDW because we "already have" those ride systems) even though different rides can use the same system and be very different experiences. I'm terribly looking forward to Flight of Passage and think it will be very different from Soarin'.

For Star Tours and Star Wars, however, the beauty of ST is that it can take you to any planet that the designers want. There's little reason to have a similar ride themed to Star Wars due to the nature of the ride, not because there is something wrong with the ride system.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If they were doing Wandering Oaken's again, surely they would have gotten it done in time for Frozen Summer Fun. Someone said something Pixar was coming (which might tide people over like Launch Bay), but I could just as easily see them doing something for the holidays (Santa Goofy used to meet not to far from here).

AFI was 'wandering oakens' while the osborne lights were up last year, It was next used during SW weekends as Darth's Mall, It seems they only open that corner of SoA when there is a special event going on.

Goofyernmost

Buzz moving makes no sense. It fits the theme of Tomorrowland (which is basically a sci-fi fantasyland at this point) and it's costly to physically move a ride. There would be little point is doing so.

If something were to be moved from MK to DHS, it would make far more sense to move Laugh Floor: it doesn't fit the theme of Tomorrowland and it is far easier to move a theater show to a different location. Heck, they could probably put it in the currently unused Premiere Theater if they wanted and not have to build a new building in DHS. But, even in that case, it is extremely unlikely as it would make more sense just to build a new attraction in DHS than move something.
I'm confused... Why isn't Laugh Floor as Sci-Fi(sh) as Buzz? I think that they both fit in as well as anything is going to. It's just that people have got to accept that Disney (and no one else either) is ever going to attempt to visualize the future anymore. It is way to unpredictable and expensive to constantly update. Things moved a lot slower in the 50's as far as new technologies are concerned and places like Disney had the opportunity to actually build something and have it still be the future for at least a little while. That just isn't possible in today's world.

Last edited:

md1982

First post...Just read this casting notice for new Villains offering at DHS:
Disney Parks Talent casting is seeking Male Comedic/Improv Actors and Male Actors Who Sing for a new Disney Villains inspired entertainment offering at the Walt Disney World®Resort near Orlando, FL.

Seeking:
Dr. Facilier Male, 20s – 30s, 5’11” and above. A master of magic and voodoo. Charismatic baritone with pizazz. Sings “Friends On The Other Side.”

Comedic Male Actor- Inventive actor with a strong sense of comedic wit and timing. Portrays the club manager of Dr. Facilier’s Lounge. Well-polished with a bit of flair.

Also looking for female dancers. What do we think this is? And where will it go? Auditions are the end of Sept. so not a Halloween offering.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Disney Parks Talent casting is seeking Male Comedic/Improv Actors and Male Actors Who Sing for a new Disney Villains inspired entertainment offering at the Walt Disney World®Resort near Orlando, FL.

Seeking:
Dr. Facilier Male, 20s – 30s, 5’11” and above. A master of magic and voodoo. Charismatic baritone with pizazz. Sings “Friends On The Other Side.”

Comedic Male Actor- Inventive actor with a strong sense of comedic wit and timing. Portrays the club manager of Dr. Facilier’s Lounge. Well-polished with a bit of flair.

Also looking for female dancers. What do we think this is? And where will it go? Auditions are the end of Sept. so not a Halloween offering.
Is their a Friday the 13th in October?
Found one, November 13th.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Seeking:

That reinforces the speculation of a villains show replacing beauty and the beast. Good catch. Good find. Great first post.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
There is in November. Still I'd like to see a show like the original Unleash the VIllians which had some awesome dancers and musical numbers by Bernie Briquette and Brimstone aka Mulch, Sweat & Shears. Marie

No, there will not be another hard tI let event for a villains thing. They've tried it twice and both of been operational disasters because meeting greets just can't meet 30,000 people in one night.

Someone had speculated that beauty and the beast will be replaced with a villains show. This goes to support that speculation.

wannabeBelle

No, there will not be another hard tI let event for a villains thing. They've tried it twice and both of been operational disasters because meeting greets just can't meet 30,000 people in one night.

Someone had speculated that beauty and the beast will be replaced with a villains show. This goes to support that speculation.
Oh I cant think they would do that kind of an event again, as you said it was a bit of a mess, but the stage show that was put on was pretty extraordinary!!! BB & Brimstone did a cover of Fight For Your Right To Party by the Beastie Boys that was outrageous, between the band and the dancers who was just super incredible. I cant link to it right now but Martin @marni1971 did a rather amazing video of that. I was picturing something like that made into a show. Marie

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Oh I cant think they would do that kind of an event again, as you said it was a bit of a mess, but the stage show that was put on was pretty extraordinary!!! BB & Brimstone did a cover of Fight For Your Right To Party by the Beastie Boys that was outrageous, between the band and the dancers who was just super incredible. I cant link to it right now but Martin @marni1971 did a rather amazing video of that. I was picturing something like that made into a show. Marie

Oh I'm not suggesting it wasn't a great show. The stage stuff was excellent.

You just cant have a meet and greet for 30,000 people during a 5 hour event and expect things to run smoothly. Basic math says it will be operational chaos and Maybe 600 groups (2 per minute over 5 hours) will get to meet each character. Operationally, it just doesnt work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom