DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
See I'd be fine with just SW if it wasn't just a repurposing of existing facilities. If it was going to be a true expansion and actually add things to the park then it'd be fine to have just it for now and not a scaled down version of Carsland which is the only version we're going to get. So I'd rather have one amazing land added to the park than two value engineered lands that just repurpose existing areas and facilities, call me crazy I know.

Good point and I've never understood WDW's mania for replacing things rather than adding, DL and DCA have more rides than WDW in a FAR smaller space and in the past they have ADDED - but finally they are out of space so some of their new stuff will be replacements.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But, with the expansions that have been announced, are we really gaining that much? Does it really put the park on the level of the other 3?

• We gain 2 attractions for SW, but lose Indy and the ABS Theater (which will be Jedi Academy). G-d forbid one of the new attractions is really a re-purposed Star Tours.
• TSMM includes one coaster and a spinner, but we lose OMD, the possible attraction space of the old Narnia building, and VotLM

Even if CarsLand comes, It will most likely be RSR and maybe one more small ride, but we're losing LMA (which absolutely eats people). IF it's a mini-CarsLand, then it won't do enough to create capacity.

The thing that boggles my mind is the size of TS Playland, but the lack of attractions. Fill the damn thing with cheap family rides and let people enjoy some time with their kids. Not everything has to cost $100 million to add an amazing experience.

My concern is that they're adding things that will hugely increase demand, but aren't creating enough supply.

I'm very afraid both expansions are New Fantasyland all over again – tons of style with very little substance.

What the hell do you expect with attractions designed to please the BoD who never sets foot in a theme park and are primarily concerned about it's operational cost in that scenario you get a NFL all style and mostly hardscape and thin on attractions but it's cheap to operate.

I really wish the BoD would channel Eisner and do the 'Undercover Boss' bit so they could see how the parks REALLY work, I suspect there would be major changes in how the parks are managed and the guest experience would improve.

Next Big Thing

Even if CarsLand comes, It will most likely be RSR and maybe one more small ride, but we're losing LMA (which absolutely eats people). IF it's a mini-CarsLand, then it won't do enough to create capacity.
LMA only performs twice a day at maximum 5000 people per show if it completely fills up. A land that completely immerses people, lets them walk around, has a few attractions, likely a Flo's cafe and is open all day will be a sizable gain in capacity.

Kman101

Any chance they re-theme Sci-Fi to that neverbuilt Cars Drive-In restaurant? Not saying I want it and we may not even get Cars, but just tossing it out there ... they could always give us a slightly different version of Cars Land ...

ToTBellHop

LMA only performs twice a day at maximum 5000 people per show if it completely fills up. A land that completely immerses people, lets them walk around, has a few attractions, likely a Flo's cafe and is open all day will be a sizable gain in capacity.
Yep. LMA purportedly averages 6000 guests per day. Build a good omnimover dark ride back there and it can process that many guests between park open and lunchtime. Unpopular shows in large facilities are a waste of space. Stunt shows are popular, generally speaking, though it'll be strange to go from two stunt shows to none. But I guess it doesn't really work with the new theme of the park.

Kman101

I keep looking at the maps everyone is doing of Toy Story Land and wouldn't it make sense to have the entrance after VoTLM? Just because with where people are placing the presumed exit and entrance to Mania it's not lining up right for me if it starts at Voyage. I'm not saying the buildings all couldn't go but the entire land looks like it needs to be pushed back a little more and certain buildings left there line up better with what's designed.

flyerjab

No idea. Not sure if it will survive.

Something I had always wondered about myself. The Earful Tower doesn't fit this space anymore. Coincidentally, some of the first concept art to come out for Disney Springs has a water tower in front of the proposed new main entrance to what will be the Town Center. I have been wondering if they were planning all along to remove the Earful Tower from DHS, erect it at Disney Springs and re-skin it to fit the theme. Unless of course the current design for DS does not include a water tower.

SwooshOU

I am trying to imagine how a 13-story water tower would look right in front of my face as I crest the hill after Slinky's launch. Not terribly appealing. It seems the army men parachute drop prop is in a similar location. But, time will tell and concept art can deceive. Enjoy your margarita.
I believe the Earful Tower hasn't been used as the park's icon for a very long time. It was the Sorcerer's hat until recently. Now the Studios are represented by the Tower of Terror.

That being said, I could see the Earful Tower easily being rethemed to fit perfectly as some kind of a toy in Toy Story Land.

stretchsje

I bet there will be only one entrance to Star Wars Land from Hollywood Blvd, thus I'd expect that area marked in red to either disappear completely or turn into a courtyard. Either way, it doesn't take much creativity to see how the 50's Prime Time Cafe could stay with either a relocated entrance or closed off into a courtyard (with outdoor seating) like Carnation Cafe in Disneyland. Heck, they could even expand the building to share a kitchen with a Star Wars themed eatery.

50sprimetime.jpg

I don't care if 50's Prime Time Stays or goes. I'm just saying there are possibilities.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I keep looking at the maps everyone is doing of Toy Story Land and wouldn't it make sense to have the entrance after VoTLM? Just because with where people are placing the presumed exit and entrance to Mania it's not lining up right for me if it starts at Voyage. I'm not saying the buildings all couldn't go but the entire land looks like it needs to be pushed back a little more and certain buildings left there line up better with what's designed.

Disney is finally building Paul Pressler's dream park, One where the only moving parts are the slides on the cash register drawers, What at the end of the FY the rumor is BatB, LMA and something else (Indy?) will be closed, yet construction will not start till 2017-18? WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT is going on here.

Shaman

Will the hub change though? Some of maps I've seen speculate that the lands start pretty close to the DHS hub. I think that transition is rather harsh in a park like DHS. Has there been any indication that the theater design is changing?

Adding some faux hills/mountains around the hub and "behind" the theater could help. Stick the Hollywood(land) letters on them even. Helps preserve the old Hollywood theme and facilitate smoother transitions. Unless they're going for MK 2.0 hub.

A lush garden around the hub works too. Hopefully the ugly stage goes away forever.

ctrlaltdel

Will the hub change though? Some of maps I've seen speculate that the lands start pretty close to the DHS hub. I think that transition is rather harsh in a park like DHS. Has there been any indication that the theater design is changing?

Adding some faux hills/mountains around the hub and "behind" the theater could help. Stick the Hollywood(land) letters on them even. Helps preserve the old Hollywood theme and facilitate smoother transitions. Unless they're going for MK 2.0 hub.

A lush garden around the hub works too. Hopefully the ugly stage goes away forever.
They really just need to fix the entire flow of the park. Unsure how much would change however with SWL mostly taking over existing buildings. Hopefully TSL will open up some flow to the SoA/LMA area.

wannabeBelle

I predict 50s will stay and Sci Fi will go.
Or maybe simply a re-theming for the Sci Fi such as a permanent home for the Star Wars breakfast, such as they did this year during Star Wars weekends. It was certainly popular enough. I'd like to see a change on the menu as well, the last few times I had gone there I wasn't blown away by the choices or the dish I finally did choose. You can do the character meals and/or clips of Sci Fi movies old and new. I think a minor theme change such as that would be all it would need to fit in that land perfectly!!! Marie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom