DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Mondo Mouse

So many on here are saying that they only expect stuff about Shanghai and Avatar with regard to parks info at the expo. At this year's D23 though there will be the 90 minute Parks and Resorts presentation in the new "Hall 23" with its 7,500 person capacity (considerably larger than the arena previously used for similar presentations). Considering they didn't have a Parks & Resorts keynote presentation at the last two expos, considering that there will be a show floor pavilion dedicated specifically to Shanghai and Avatar projects, and considering that at the shareholders' meeting in March Iger stated that announcements for DHS (and Disneyland expansion) will happen soon, how is it people still don't think there will be any announcements and plans revealed at D23 for DHS and Disneyland?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So many on here are saying that they only expect stuff about Shanghai and Avatar with regard to parks info at the expo. At this year's D23 though there will be the 90 minute Parks and Resorts presentation in the new "Hall 23" with its 7,500 person capacity (considerably larger than the arena previously used for similar presentations). Considering they didn't have a Parks & Resorts keynote presentation at the last two expos, considering that there will be a show floor pavilion dedicated specifically to Shanghai and Avatar projects, and considering that at the shareholders' meeting in March Iger stated that announcements for DHS (and Disneyland expansion) will happen soon, how is it people still don't think there will be any announcements and plans revealed at D23 for DHS and Disneyland?

Remember this is the same company that did a press event to announce benches.

Ignohippo

What I mean by buzz is that the big popular uproar is fading and it's fading fast. There are no longer constant broadcasts of Frozen music, dolls and Olaf, in particular, are sitting on shelves collecting dust and, most importantly, kids are fickle. They go from one phase to another quickly, and Frozen is no longer the end all. Yes, it is still popular and when they open it, if they ever get it done, will be a mad house, but, I don't see it as a big pull forever. I would predict (just guessing mind you) that after a year, it will be a walk-on.

Oh please. I'm not a big Frozen fan, but it's popularity waining has to be expected.

Regardless, it's still the biggest IP the Mouse currently has and is an enormous draw. It isn't going anywhere in that regard anytime soon. They just built a ride for Little Mermaid and an entire area for Beauty & The Beast. Frozen is certainly much more popular at this time (and will be for the foreseeable future) than those two properties.

If the ride is done well, it will be one of the most popular rides in EPCOT for years to come. The IP will probably carry it even if it isn't anything but a re-skinned Maelstrom (heck, Maelstrom still had long lines most of the time anyway).

It cracks me up how people complain that Disney doesn't build new rides for its new and popular characters, yet when it does, people scream from the rafters that they shouldn't be and that it isn't warranted.

TP2000

The parking structure at Disneyland ran around $220M, I believe, and has 10,000 spaces.

Disneyland's parking structure has 10,300 spaces and cost $90 Million, plus $13 Million for the direct flyover bridge into the structure from the Santa Ana Freeway, but that was in 1998-99 dollars. Construction costs are higher in Anaheim though due to strict earthquake building codes that add cost to large structures. In 2015 dollars it would likely be north of $150 Million.

Interestingly, that parking structure was paid for by bonds issued by the City of Anaheim and technically belongs to the city, but Disney owns it and operates it and collects the parking fees from it. Disney CM's also control the reversible lanes and signage on the flyover, even though it technically belongs to CalTrans as part of the freeway.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Oh please. I'm not a big Frozen fan, but it's popularity waining has to be expected.

Regardless, it's still the biggest IP the Mouse currently has and is an enormous draw. It isn't going anywhere in that regard anytime soon. They just built a ride for Little Mermaid and an entire area for Beauty & The Beast. Frozen is certainly much more popular at this time (and will be for the foreseeable future) than those two properties.

If the ride is done well, it will be one of the most popular rides in EPCOT for years to come. The IP will probably carry it even if it isn't anything but a re-skinned Maelstrom (heck, Maelstrom still had long lines most of the time anyway).

It cracks me up how people complain that Disney doesn't build new rides for its new and popular characters, yet when it does, people scream from the rafters that they shouldn't be and that it isn't warranted.
I hope you don't think that I am saying it isn't warranted. Maelstrom was only popular when first opened and a few times when it was rediscovered over the years, but, it still wasn't much of a draw. I think that it is a good place to have it and I do not hold on to the idea of what the original intent of Epcot was, that is the past... it is no longer focused that way whether we like it or not.

All I have been saying is that I don't think that the capacity rate will be as bad as everyone is imagining over time. It will be at least 20 years before it can even be considered a classic. One cannot automatically call something a classic, it has to earn that title by remaining that way for a number of years. Time will tell. As I said, it's going to be a nightmare when it first opens up, but, I think it is going to decline, especially if the next Frozen movie does not shine through like the first one did and we all know that sequels are iffy at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom