DHS Location, and Layout

kingslyZISSOU

Original Poster
I've been looking at Google maps photos of the disney world property, and I'm so confused about the layout of DHS/MGM.

Why did they do it? the layout leaves pretty much no room for expansion, unless they demolish a bunch of stuff.

Didn't they know that It would need expansion eventually, even if it was always going to be a real live working studio?

They put themselves up against that main road, and the layout basically keeps them from expanding around the edges. Everything in the park is so close together. I suppose the layout of the park was meant to feel like a real studio, it just doesn't feel very thought out.

I'm not tying to start a rumor-palooza, i'm just perplexed.

Why would they do this, when they have so much property available?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Yes, it is hard to navigate if you are used to the hub and spoke (like MK and AK. But once you get the hang of it, it is not too bad. I agree that it is not a "user friendly" lay out though and I agree, they have some work to do if they want to expand it and change it at this point. But it's the home of my beloved TOT so i'll struggle through. :lol:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The park was built primarliy as a working studio, with a park and tour tacked on the side. It was also built as an original half day park in a rush to be ready and open before USF did. Almost immiediately it couldn`t cope and a rushed expansion began within the first 8 months.

The weaving around is since New York Street was never meant to be walked on nor have attractions around it. Mickey Avenue (Pixar Place) was originally backstage too.

There is more room than you think for expansion - Sunset still has 3 main pads, and there is a 3.5 acre site behind Indy classed for development. Ignoring the tram tour area the next biggest area is into the parking lot.

Figment632

I always thought this park was laid out very strangely and I think it has the most wasted space of any park since it stopped being a working studio. With that said I think it has the most potential out of the four parks!

I always thought this park was laid out very strangely and I think it has the most wasted space of any park since it stopped being a working studio. With that said I think it has the most potential out of the four parks!

Agreed. And it seems to be finally getting some attention

kcnole

I'm still not sure if I like the direction this park is taking. It still seems to not have any real direction. The park had so much potential, I'm not convinced its going to live up to it or not. It seems like that park that doesn't really know what its supposed to be doing.

CaptainMichael

Disney's Hollywood Studios is what some would call "A Hot Mess". It's still fun, but it is very confusingly laid out and stale beyond Pixar Place and Sunset Blvd.

Figment632

I'm still not sure if I like the direction this park is taking. It still seems to not have any real direction. The park had so much potential, I'm not convinced its going to live up to it or not. It seems like that park that doesn't really know what its supposed to be doing.

Yea the park seems to be heading away from a hollywood theme and to a Pixar park.

kcnole

Well, not really. At least as I understand it. Sure, in the short term it will as they flesh out pixar place, but as I understand it, the idea is to have lands. That will be pixar land basically, there will be a George Lucas land as well, and then whatever it is they're doing with the side where Tower of Terror is.

That at least leads to a more cohesive theme. Come see rides based on some of your favorite studios in Hollywood.

Pongo

Yea the park seems to be heading away from a hollywood theme and to a Pixar park.

MMM not really. The addition of one Pixar attraction (with an accompanying land to help with theming) doesn't seem, to me, enough to qualify DHS as heading toward a "Pixar Park." The recent addition of American Idol and the impending addition of Star Tours 2.0 are not Pixar by any means.

With the Monsters, Inc. coaster, they're just filling out a now land. Much like they did with Asia at DAK. DAK is not an "Asia" park.

Figment632

MMM not really. The addition of one Pixar attraction (with an accompanying land to help with theming) doesn't seem, to me, enough to qualify DHS as heading toward a "Pixar Park." The recent addition of American Idol and the impending addition of Star Tours 2.0 are not Pixar by any means.

With the Monsters, Inc. coaster, they're just filling out a now land. Much like they did with Asia at DAK. DAK is not an "Asia" park.

Your forgetting the Pixar Parade and there will most likely be a Monsters inc coaster and cars attraction in the near future.

surfsupdon

This is the problem exactly! The park does not know what it si supposed to be, and there is no clear direction.

The park was originally designed as a working studio and to capture "the Hollywood that always is, but never was." That Golden Age often depicted in I Love Lucy. It's a shame the focus is now off of its original direction.

As long as we keep Hollywood and Sunset Blvds as the Golden Age, I will be happy. That hat, does, need to go elsewhere. It's a fine landmark, but move it out of Golden Hollywood and into an Animation Area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom