DHS CARS LAND

lazyboy97o

The second painting in the article is the one I'm referring to. In person, it's detailed to the extreme, and beautiful. :) He also did a bunch of OZ stuff and IOA art that's really gorgeous.
Im able to zoom in a good bit on my iPad. Do you know if the Mark III-esque monorail design was a serious proposal or just artistic license? I know by the time they got around to redoing the Autopia the art shows the Mark Vs.

articos

Im able to zoom in a good bit on my iPad. Do you know if the Mark III-esque monorail design was a serious proposal or just artistic license? I know by the time they got around to redoing the Autopia the art shows the Mark Vs.

I don't know. My hunch is the sleeker look fit in with the design aesthetic. I know they had discussed going back to a classic look a few times over the years, but I don't know if the choice was by direction in this piece or because he felt it looked best.

djlaosc

At the moment, yes.

So does that mean that Toon Lagoon, or at least the Popeye area, isn't the next island at IoA to be removed, or will it receive enhancements, and a few years later be removed?

Or, be "enhancements", do you mean a retheme from "Toon Lagoon/Popeye" where the island will change but the ride will remain?

Alektronic

When I think Disney, I think the idealized version of something. The Magic Kingdom is intended to be the idealized version of each of the 6 lands. Epcot is supposed to represent the idealized version of the future and the countries represented in World Showcase. Animal Kingdom is meant to represent the idealized continents of Africa and Asia.

MGM Studios opened with the attempt of representing Hollywood "not as a place on a map but a state of mind." That screams idealized version to me. Initially this mean a tour of working studios, and because it was a Disney park this meant a focus on animation. Now, liberties can be taken so that the front half of the park represent how we envision Hollywood of the 30s, 40s and 50s. With the introduction of Pixar Place a concept for the back half of the park begun to take place, it just wasn't really completed. I think taking a similar approach to Epcot with two distinct sections is really the way to go. Conceptually the front half remains the golden age of Hollywood while the back half represents idealized versions of various studios, the most obvious being Pixar and Lucas.

In terms of development and documentation Disney divided DHS in these different areas:

Main Entrance
Hollywood Blvd
Sunset Blvd
Echo Lake
Animation Courtyard
Mickey Ave
Pixar Place
Backlot
Star Wars Galaxy

RSoxNo1

In terms of development and documentation Disney divided DHS in these different areas:

Main Entrance
Hollywood Blvd
Sunset Blvd
Echo Lake
Animation Courtyard
Mickey Ave
Pixar Place
Backlot
Star Wars Galaxy
For "Star Wars Galaxy" are you referring to something new, or the current section in Echo Lake?

RSoxNo1

Something new, but nothing for certain yet, it might or might not come, but there are definitely plans for the area.
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate more on what this development/documentation does? Is the thought that this will be the future layout of the park?

Alektronic

Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate more on what this development/documentation does? Is the thought that this will be the future layout of the park?

Basically, it is a way to organize all the engineering drawings. Say you wanted to change a lighting fixture in Mickey's of Hollywood, so you would go the drawing index and look up Walt Disney World then go to a drop down menu of everything in WDW and then select Disney Hollywood Studios and then it is divided into the different areas of the park, then select Hollywood Blvd, then select Mickey's of Hollywood, then there is a list of structural, electrical, mechanical, etc, then under electrical it would be power, lighting, communication, alarms. etc. Then in lighting find which floor you want and which area of the store then you can finally find your lighting fixture.

So basically it is a vault of the Disney drawings and lots and lots of drawings and documentation that never got built.

FigmentJedi

So does that mean that Toon Lagoon, or at least the Popeye area, isn't the next island at IoA to be removed, or will it receive enhancements, and a few years later be removed?

Or, be "enhancements", do you mean a retheme from "Toon Lagoon/Popeye" where the island will change but the ride will remain?

I dunno. Between Sony Animation's Popeye movie coming out and Dreamworks now owning the Jay Ward properties (with a Rocky and Bullwinkle short set to join the Sherman and Peabody movie next year), I think Toon Lagoon might have some new life breathed into it.

beachlover4444

Wait...I don't feel like reading all of these pages so can someone answer me this! Is there good chances of a Star Wars land coming????
My sister works at a restaurant at DHS. They confirmed to the staff that Indiana Jones is going. Star Wars will expand toward that area. Pizza planet and Mama Melrose will stay put but may be re themed. Light Camera Action is going as is Backlot Tour. That whole back area will be Cars Land. Estimating 5 years to do all this major re-work. Cars Land California has already re-couped 28 percent of it's cost already. So they feel it's worth the investment and will really put DHS back on track.

Next Big Thing

That's an odd theory when you support the post of merchandise having ' literally nothing to do with the success of a theme park land or attraction'

If they have 'literally nothing to do..' with each other, why would a business prefer to create lands with the possibility of bonus merchandise sales? If they do - you understand that they are not actually entirely independent and the above quoted text is bunkus.

What makes an attraction successful for the operator is one that drives THE BOTTOM LINE and continues to do so. A large portion of that is how it impacts sales. Ticket revenue isn't what drives the business.. that's why Disney can afford to discount it to almost zero to encourage you to come more.
Why does it have 'literally nothing to do..' with being successful? Because A quality attraction is a quality attraction. Splash Mountain is a great ride, but most don't stop for a minute in the gift shop. A bad ride can have great merchandise. They have NOTHING to do with each other. As the original point was here, Harry Potter and the Forribiden Journey would still be a groundbreaking ride, even if it was just a stand alone attraction and didn't sell a single piece of merch. Of course a business WANTS to sell merch, but it has nothing to do with how good an attraction is.

bubbles1812

Makes me glad to hear they aren't planning to axe Popeye's even if the rumored Toon Lagoon remodel goes through. I don't care about the rest of TL all that much, but I would/will be sad to see Popeye's or Dudley Do Right's go. Those are two spectacular water rides.

My sister works at a restaurant at DHS. They confirmed to the staff that Indiana Jones is going. Star Wars will expand toward that area. Pizza planet and Mama Melrose will stay put but may be re themed. Light Camera Action is going as is Backlot Tour. That whole back area will be Cars Land. Estimating 5 years to do all this major re-work. Cars Land California has already re-couped 28 percent of it's cost already. So they feel it's worth the investment and will really put DHS back on track.
And forgive me, I'm sure your sister is lovely, but I don't put tons of stock in what frontline CMs say. That being said, what she says certainly doesn't contradict the rumors put forth by insiders on the board, which is nice to here. But I was just wondering who is the "they" that confirmed to the staff these things? For instance, if you tell me if it was a bus driver, well, that's a bit more far fetched of a confirmation ;) than if Iger himself came to restaurant to confirm all these things. ;). Sorry but Im skeptical of any "official confirmations" from anyone before official announcements by executives are made as the situation as a whole has been very fluid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom