DHS CARS LAND

Map7711

What i don't get is are Universal fans out west mad that they are cloning Potter? Nope. Are Universal fans mad that they are cloning Transformers for Florida? Nope. The whole Magic Kingdom was cloned from DL when it first opened. I just think it's a smart move to bring Cars here. It's a great ride and it will be much cheaper to build here because all the ground work is already done.

Californian Elitist

What i don't get is are Universal fans out west mad that they are cloning Potter? Nope. Are Universal fans mad that they are cloning Transformers for Florida? Nope. The whole Magic Kingdom was cloned from DL when it first opened. I just think it's a smart move to bring Cars here. It's a great ride and it will be much cheaper to build here because all the ground work is already done.

Honestly, I wanted something different from Potter for USH. I bet those in Florida are upset Hollywood is getting Potter, just like Californians don't want a version of Cars Land in Florida. Cars Land is different from Potter, in that Cars Land was such a blessing and a much needed addition for a seriously struggling park. No to mention the emotional attachment towards it from Westerners. Now Florida wants it. DCA can never catch a break.

RSoxNo1

No, Universal is definitely cloning attractions and going with safe bets. It's part of the reason why Disney is squirming because TDO can't wrap their heads around anything other than what already exists. Potter is kicking their a$$ so they understand that more Potter should scare them. They know what Transformers is doing in Cali so they're fearful of that. It's why TDO doesn't seem to be inclined to take risks on non-clones because they know Carsland will be successful in Florida.

spacemt354

Chili's
Honestly, I wanted something different from Potter for USH. I bet those in Florida are upset Hollywood is getting Potter, just like Californians don't want a version of Cars Land in Florida. Cars Land is different from Potter, in that Cars Land was such a blessing and a much needed addition for a seriously struggling park. No to mention the emotional attachment towards it from Westerners. Now Florida wants it. DCA can never catch a break.

I'm not sure why floridians would care that Potter is going to Hollywood. I mean, how does it affect them? It's not like now they are going to have to pack their bags and fly to Hollywood to experience Potter. They still have the original Potter in their own backyard. And so what if attendance numbers drop because it's available on two coasts. IMO I doubt it will have that much of an affect, but if it does affect attendance in florida, all that means is shorter lines for the people who enjoy it in florida.

IoA was a dud in attendance when it first opened, same with DCA. In order to combat those issues, massive expansion projects had to be made at both parks, and both projects have been met with critical and financial success. And what was a main catalyst for the construction of these big expansion projects? Poor attendance numbers. If the moves of Potter to the west and Carsland to the east hurt the attendance in the original parks drastically, one can only guess that another addition would come to combat the decreasing attendance numbers. It's a win-win either way.

I don't live out west so I don't mean to speak for anyone, but I just can't see how people have such an emotional attachment to Carsland after only 3 months. The Matterhorn or the original Pirates I can see the emotional attachment because they are classic. But Carsland I honestly can't see why people are so attached to it already to the point where they don't want it anywhere else.

DCA just caught a break with Carsland and the rest of the expansion. That isn't going to change if Carsland is moved to DHS. Just like with Potter on two coasts, the people who enjoy the original Carsland are not affected by the Carsland on the east coast, so I'm just not sure why it's such a big deal

Taylor

I know one of our insiders would post something if they heard anything, but I feel like I need to ask this. Anything new?

Californian Elitist

I'm not sure why floridians would care that Potter is going to Hollywood. I mean, how does it affect them? It's not like now they are going to have to pack their bags and fly to Hollywood to experience Potter. They still have the original Potter in their own backyard. And so what if attendance numbers drop because it's available on two coasts. IMO I doubt it will have that much of an affect, but if it does affect attendance in florida, all that means is shorter lines for the people who enjoy it in florida.

IoA was a dud in attendance when it first opened, same with DCA. In order to combat those issues, massive expansion projects had to be made at both parks, and both projects have been met with critical and financial success.

I don't live out west so I don't mean to speak for anyone, but I just can't see how people have such an emotional attachment to Carsland after only 3 months. The Matterhorn or the original Pirates I can see the emotional attachment because they are classic. But Carsland I honestly can't see why people are so attached to it already to the point where they don't want it anywhere else.

DCA just caught a break with Carsland and the rest of the expansion. That isn't going to change if Carsland is moved to DHS. Just like with Potter on two coasts, the people who enjoy the original Carsland are not affected by the Carsland on the east coast, so I'm just not sure why it's such a big deal

There are Easterners on MiceChat talking about how they don't want Potter in Hollywood. It's not talked about here but there was some chit chat going on about the subject over on MiceChat and I honestly don't blame them.

I don't think I've ever brought up attendance, so I won't speak on that. There's been an emotional attachment for Cars Land pretty much ever since it was first announced out here in CA. That was all everyone was talking about, how great Cars Land was going to be and how happy we were and appreciative that we were finally getting something awesome for DCA. You probably will never understand and you will probably never think it's a big deal because each park that was built in Florida was pretty much great and well off.

Imagine being a Disneyland fan in CA in the 80's and 90's, one by one watching each new park in FL pop up, while you get squat. After years and years, the company announces they plan on building a second park for Disneyland. The park debuts and it's total crap. There may be one or two well themed areas but as a whole, the park flat out sucks. To say Westerners felt jipped and totally got the short end of the stick would be an understatement. It was an insult to the fans to have a park like DCA 1.0 sitting across from Disneyland. It was cheap looking, tacky and overall pathetic. Pretty much everyone was ed. No love for Disneyland fans.

Fast forward six years and the company announces they plan on putting loads of money into DCA to fix it, and the big draw of the new expansion will be a new land called Cars Land. Everyone went nuts, not only because Cars Land looked seriously impressive, but the company was not blind to the fact that DCA was just not doing it for the Disneyland fans and they wanted to fix that. Five years go by and the debut of Cars Land hits. People are having heart attacks over our new present. Westerners are expressing their love over not only Cars Land but DCA in general. I've never heard so many people get so excited for DCA, the same park we couldn't care less about eleven years ago. Pretty much everyone's finally happy.

Not even six months later, Florida management is having conversation about putting Cars Land in one of the parks. California's new present and the redeemer of the black sheep of the Disney parks, and Florida wants it. It's like your mom buying you a crazy, expensive birthday gift and your sibling starts whining and crying, explaining he/she wants the same thing and your mom breaks down and ends up buying your sibling the same thing, on your special day. That's how Westerners feel.

For decades, Californians watched money and parks go to Florida. Finally, an amazing product is making our second park amazing and worthy for the guests. Yes, there's an emotional attachment for it and there's reason for it too. Cars Land isn't just some new ride, it's an entire package that's been keeping Disneyland guests happy to visit its brother, without complaints and whining. It's corny to put it this way but it's a savior. That's where the attachment comes from. Once again, I don't expect for you to fully understand why Californians don't want to see Cars Land in Florida, because you're WDW vet and not a Disneyland one, but that's how the West Coast (Disneylanders) feels. Sorry for the rant.

ctxak98

There are Easterners on MiceChat talking about how they don't want Potter in Hollywood. It's not talked about here but there was some chit chat going on about the subject over on MiceChat and I honestly don't blame them.

I don't think I've ever brought up attendance, so I won't speak on that. There's been an emotional attachment for Cars Land pretty much ever since it was first announced out here in CA. That was all everyone was talking about, how great Cars Land was going to be and how happy we were and appreciative that we were finally getting something awesome for DCA. You probably will never understand and you will probably never think it's a big deal because each park that was built in Florida was pretty much great and well off.

Imagine being a Disneyland fan in CA in the 80's and 90's, one by one watching each new park in FL pop up, while you get squat. After years and years, the company announces they plan on building a second park for Disneyland. The park debuts and it's total crap. There may be one or two well themed areas but as a whole, the park flat out sucks. To say Westerners felt jipped and totally got the short end of the stick would be an understatement. It was an insult to the fans to have a park like DCA 1.0 sitting across from Disneyland. It was cheap looking, tacky and overall pathetic. Pretty much everyone was ed. No love for Disneyland fans.

Fast forward six years and the company announces they plan on putting loads of money into DCA to fix it, and the big draw of the new expansion will be a new land called Cars Land. Everyone went nuts, not only because Cars Land looked seriously impressive, but the company was not blind to the fact that DCA was just not doing it for the Disneyland fans and they wanted to fix that. Five years go by and the debut of Cars Land hits. People are having heart attacks over our new present. Westerners are expressing their love over not only Cars Land but DCA in general. I've never heard so many people get so excited for DCA, the same park we couldn't care less about eleven years ago. Pretty much everyone's finally happy.

Not even six months later, Florida management is having conversation about putting Cars Land in one of the parks. California's new present and the redeemer of the black sheep of the Disney parks, and Florida wants it. It's like your mom buying you a crazy, expensive birthday gift and your sibling starts whining and crying, explaining he/she wants the same thing and your mom breaks down and ends up buying your sibling the same thing, on your special day. That's how Westerners feel.

For decades, Californians watched money and parks go to Florida. Finally, an amazing product is making our second park amazing and worthy for the guests. Yes, there's an emotional attachment for it and there's reason for it too. Cars Land isn't just some new ride, it's an entire package that's been keeping Disneyland guests happy to visit its brother, without complaints and whining. It's corny to put it this way but it's a savior. That's where the attachment comes from. Once again, I don't expect for you to fully understand why Californians don't want to see Cars Land in Florida, because you're WDW vet and not a Disneyland one, but that's how the West Coast (Disneylanders) feels. Sorry for the rant.

I agree with everything you just said here. thats why I dont like repeats of stuff unless its like the classic rides that go into most disney parks. I think disneyland and disney world should have two COMPLETELY different experiences otherwise whats the point of going to both? it will ruin the fun and excitement. And this is coming from someone who is on the otherside of the States!

Californian Elitist

I agree with everything you just said here. thats why I dont like repeats of stuff unless its like the classic rides that go into most disney parks. I think disneyland and disney world should have two COMPLETELY different experiences otherwise whats the point of going to both? it will ruin the fun and excitement. And this is coming from someone who is on the otherside of the States!

Exactly. When it comes to individual attractions, except maybe a few I wouldn't want in Florida, and the same vice versa for California, I don't really mind when they're put in the other resorts, like Mermaid for example. But something as important and massive as Cars Land is an entirely different story. Cars Land can't be compared to individual attractions IMO. It's way too different and unique. I've said this before, I bet a lot of Easterners would be upset if the company announced they have plans on building WestCot in California. Epcot is very special and even I wouldn't want to see some version of it in California. I will go to Florida to see Epcot and people should come to California if they want to see Cars Land.

ctxak98

Exactly. When it comes to individual attractions, except maybe a few I wouldn't want in Florida, and the same vice versa for California, I don't really mind when they're put in the other resorts, like Mermaid for example. But something as important and massive as Cars Land is an entirely different story. Cars Land can't be compared to individual attractions IMO. It's way too different and unique. I've said this before, I bet a lot of Easterners would be upset if the company announced they have plans on building WestCot in California. Epcot is very special and even I wouldn't want to see some version of it in California. I will go to Florida to see Epcot and people should come to California if they want to see Cars Land.

Couldnt have said it any better! I think this is a mistake if they do this. I still dont even want Hollywood studios to become based on only pixar, lucas and muppets. I think it will be very boring

Californian Elitist

Couldnt have said it any better! I think this is a mistake if they do this. I still dont even want Hollywood studios to become based on only pixar, lucas and muppets. I think it will be very boring

Seriously, think of the new possibilities the Imagineers can and should come up with. They can do better than just taking Cars Land and putting it in DHS. That's incredibly lazy. I don't want to go to DHS and see Cars Land. I don't. I want something I've never seen before. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I'd pay big money to see it as a land in DHS. Or Monstropilis. That would be amazing. Anything, but Cars Land, please.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't think I've ever brought up attendance, so I won't speak on that.

The attendance was basically my whole point though. Poor attendance numbers and bad reputations were very strong contributors in the decision making to force the hands IoA and DCA so to speak with expansion projects. And I hypothesize that the "cloning" of Carsland in DHS won't take away from the popularity and emotion that is attached to DCA's Carsland. I say this because the Magic Kingdom in disney world is essentially a "clone" of Disneyland. That "clone" doesn't seem to be hurting Disneyland's attendance at all, as the parks are 1 and 2 in global theme park attendance polls. And having a Magic Kingdom on the east coast hasn't stopped people from having an emotional affection for Disneyland, the original, which people still enjoy even though there is a Magic Kingdom on the east coast.

Clearly there is an emotion attached to this land that I'm not going to understand. And after this I won't continue it because it's not really worth it. I can kinda see where you are coming from but from my view, I don't feel the birthday analogy works very well in this instance. If the east coast Carsland project is approved, it's not even going to be completed till 2015 at the earliest depending on when it's announced. So it's not opening on DCA's special day. Nor does this sibling live in the same household. The sibling lives on the other side of the country, so you never have to see the sibling with "your" gift. Nor has it ever been confirmed that the sibling is getting the entire gift. So your original gift is still the best and most elaborate, your mom simply gave your sibiling something so that you all can enjoy. Again, we probably have different views and I doubt I'm going to change your view, but I just wanted to clarify mine.

Californian Elitist

The attendance was basically my whole point though. Poor attendance numbers and bad reputations were very strong cotributors in the decision making to force the hands IoA and DCA so to speak with expansion projects. And I hypothesize that the "cloning" of Carsland in DHS won't take away from the popularity and emotion that is attached to DCA's Carsland. I say this because the Magic Kingdom in disney world is essentially a "clone" of Disneyland. That "clone" doesn't seem to be hurting Disneyland's attendance at all, as the parks are 1 and 2 in global theme park attendance polls. And having a Magic Kingdom on the east coast hasn't stopped people from having an emotional affection for Disneyland, the original, which people still enjoy even though there is a Magic Kingdom on the east coast.

Clearly there is an emotion attached to this land that I'm not going to understand. And after this I won't continue it because it's not really worth it. I can kinda see where you are coming from but from my view, I don't feel the birthday analogy works very well in this instance. If the east coast Carsland project is approved, it's not even going to be completed till 2015 at the earliest depending on when it's announced. So it's not opening on DCA's special day. Nor does this sibling live in the same household. The sibling lives on the other side of the country, so you never have to see the sibling with "your" gift. Nor has it ever been confirmed that the sibling is getting the entire gift. So your original gift is still the best and most elaborate, your mom simply gave your sibiling something so that you all can enjoy. Again, we probably have different views and I doubt I'm going to change your view, but I just wanted to clarify mine.

Disneyland and DCA don't compare. Disneyland has been successful since the beginning. DCA, no.

It doesn't matter if it's on the opposite end of the country. It is what it is, a version of Cars Land. There are some Californians, one of them including me, that don't want a Cars Land in Florida. It doesn't matter when it would be approved or when it would come. I would have to see it when I go to Florida. I don't want to see Cars Land in Florida. I want to see something else.

There's really no point, as we're looking at the matter with two different sets of views, like you've said already. Nice conversation, though.

djkidkaz

Disneyland and DCA don't compare. Disneyland has been successful since the beginning. DCA, no.

It doesn't matter if it's on the opposite end of the country. It is what it is, a version of Cars Land. There are some Californians, one of them including me, that don't want a Cars Land in Florida. It doesn't matter when it would be approved or when it would come. I would have to see it when I go to Florida. I don't want to see Cars Land in Florida. I want to see something else.

There's really no point, as we're looking at the matter with two different sets of views, like you've said already. Nice conversation, though.

Well of course you wouldn't want it since you already have it in California and can ride it whenever you decide to take a trip within the same state. You want Cars Land for you in Cali and something else thats new to you when you take your WDW trips. I can't say I blame you, I'd be wanting the same thing, but seeing as the majority of folks, myself included, don't visit Disneyland often or ever, a Cars Land copy over here for us is a plus!

Skipper Dan

So do you not go to Magic Kingdom, when you go to Florida?

nytimez

The world is a much smaller place today than it was when MK was built. Back then, many families vacationed where they could drive to -- even if it took a day (or two) to get there -- and even flying, say, down the east coast was a lot cheaper than flying across country.

Today, people readily fly many places and the cost of flying has changed. I know I can often fly to LA for not much more money than it would cost to fly to Orlando (this isn't ALWAYS true, of course, but if you know how to shop for an air ticket it can be done).

MK is a relic of that earlier time. It's also classic in its own way now, even with many cloned attractions. So, I think it's fine to love MK for what it is and yet be disappointed by the constant cloning of new attractions today -- it strikes me as a failure of the imagination to simply keep reproducing the same rides. And the real failure is when they keep reproducing so-so rides, like Little Mermaid and Toy Story Midway Mania.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom