DHS 25th Anniversary Rumors... Hat Removed?

Merlin0402

Original Poster
According to Screamscape: (6/22/11) While Walt Disney World seems to have been slacking a bit in having any kind of big celebration events, especially ones that will introduce a slew of new attractions, I’m hearing that some kind of event may be in the works to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. At the same time, I’m a little hesitant to buy into it since WDW chose to just blow off Epcot’s 25th Anniversary which came and went on October 1st, 2007. But unlike in 2007, the Studios park does have a number of potential high profile attractions that could be on the verge of getting approved and built just in time for that big Anniversary, so stay tuned. Of course the only big rumor so far is that the big “Hat” will likely be removed at last.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Uhhhh. Disney did not blow off Epcot's 25th. There were going to but were basically bullied into celebrating it by fans from this and other web sites. They had a re-dedication ceremony, Marty Sklar did a presentation, they had 25th anniversary merchandise, a special park map for the day, played opening day BGM, had a retro museum display and special fireworks that rivaled the peace on earth tag.

Rob562

As the Studios' 25th anniversary is still 3 years away, I personally hope that the BAH comes down much sooner than that...

-Rob

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
According to Screamscape: (6/22/11) While Walt Disney World seems to have been slacking a bit in having any kind of big celebration events, especially ones that will introduce a slew of new attractions, I’m hearing that some kind of event may be in the works to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. At the same time, I’m a little hesitant to buy into it since WDW chose to just blow off Epcot’s 25th Anniversary which came and went on October 1st, 2007. But unlike in 2007, the Studios park does have a number of potential high profile attractions that could be on the verge of getting approved and built just in time for that big Anniversary, so stay tuned. Of course the only big rumor so far is that the big “Hat” will likely be removed at last.

im so bad

picture.php

HMF

Uhhhh. Disney did not blow off Epcot's 25th. There were going to but were basically bullied into celebrating it by fans from this and other web sites. They had a re-dedication ceremony, Marty Sklar did a presentation, they had 25th anniversary merchandise, a special park map for the day, played opening day BGM, had a retro museum display and special fireworks that rivaled the peace on earth tag.

That was relatively minor compared to what they should have done.

Figments Friend

Yay! Someone remembers!

:D

The Empress Lilly

I know I'm in the minority, but I love the hat, love the fact that it provides a symbol for the park and I feel the park would look awful without it....
Many have argued that the hat ought to be removed to the entrance plaza.

This would free the view down Hollywood Boulevard on the Theatre, while leaving the hat for its fans and for marketing purposes.

TP2000

But unlike in 2007, the Studios park does have a number of potential high profile attractions that could be on the verge of getting approved and built just in time for that big Anniversary, so stay tuned.

I think those "high profile attractions" on the "verge of getting approved and built" are really just wishful thinking by fans. That this is Screamscape saying it makes it even more comical. I'm sure there's plenty of proposals by WDI to do any number of things with DHS, but it's clear that TDO isn't in the mood to spend much money on anything until after FLE is done. If they even want to spend big after that, instead of just taking a year or two off and maybe getting around to another something in 2014 or '15.

Correct me if I'm wrong or have forgotten something, but the list of "potential high profile attractions" rumored for DHS over the last few years goes something like this, mostly dreamed up and contemplated by fans on message boards, in order of probability of ever seeing the light of day from most probable to least probable;

1. Monsters Inc. Coaster added
  2. Tram Tour Major Rehab/Rethink/Retheme
  3. World of Color clone replacing Fantasmic!
  4. The two spinner rides from Cars Land added
  5. Radiator Springs Racers from Cars Land added
  6. A clone of Cars Land in it entirety added
  7. Indiana Jones Adventure replacing Indy Stunt Show
Oh, and The Hat? That's been a removal rumor for several years. It comes and goes every year, like the autumn leaves. I'll believe The Hat is going only when the bulldozer operators take their second coffee break of the day and the thing is sitting in a thousand pieces. :lol:

liloohana

I love the hat!! It's Disney World, whose biggest star is Mickey Mouse!!
I would be heartbroken if they took the hat away!!
I also think that the purest joy when visiting Disney is in children's faces, and the gigantic sorcerer's hat really relates to them-none of them would even know what the Chinese Theatre was!!
So I hope the hat stays!!

DonaldDoleWhip

I love the hat!! It's Disney World, whose biggest star is Mickey Mouse!!
I would be heartbroken if they took the hat away!!
I also think that the purest joy when visiting Disney is in children's faces, and the gigantic sorcerer's hat really relates to them-none of them would even know what the Chinese Theatre was!!
So I hope the hat stays!!
The sorcerer's hat is from Fantasia, which most children haven't seen. And the hat itself looks cheap and out of place, which is off-putting to adults. I think it would be better overall for the hat to go, restoring the area to its former Hollywood Golden Age atmosphere. Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard have an amazing atmosphere, among my favorite of all the parks. But I think the hat really throws a huge wrench in that.

KingdomofDreams

*sigh* ... if only it were true.

The hat itself is not the problem. It's the placement that's all wrong. It doesn't fit in that location. It destroys the 30's Hollywood, art deco theme.

Keeping it is fine. They just need to move it to another location.

Bravo 229

The only way the Hat is coming down is if the Seal Team 6 takes it out when no-one is looking! Just kidding, but if the thing comes down I won't miss it. It was fine for a few years, but the view of the Chinese Theatre walking down Hollywood Boulevard really gives it that "I'm in Hollywood" feel!

FigmentJedi

I'm surprised the Hat has defender now! Granted, it could work if it was placed somewhere other then right in front of the Chinese Theater and destroying the feel of 30s Hollywood the boulevard has.

cowanfamily

I'm amazed with how many people hate the hat! I'm even more amazed that all the haters of the hat, have yet to come up with, a suitable replacement.

aladdin2007

I'm amazed with how many people hate the hat! I'm even more amazed that all the haters of the hat, have yet to come up with, a suitable replacement.

The hat doesnt need replacing, it just needs to be taken down or moved. Return Hollywood Boulevard to its original splendor with the Chinese theater. Its time for the tacky mr potato head topper to go, this isnt vegas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom