Details on SwitchBack Mechanism for Everest

Gfhweb

Original Poster
I have been told by a vice president in Imagineering what the mechanism is like. I found out after talking to him about the special effects and inner workings of Universal's The Mummy. The mechanism will not be a regular train switchback, that would be way too obvious. It will be a swith back where once you go up the track to the area where the camp is, at the top of the mountain, a small piece of track behind the car will move to the side and another pice will move in which is a turn to a seperate track. the two pieces will be on a convayor belt underneath them. It will either be a metal slide conveyor or a metal slide moved by hydralics. This is speculation but I feel it could be right because both of those ways would still provide support for the car in either position and be quiet enough that a rider would not be distrcted by it.

Gfhweb

Original Poster
On the expidition everest ride there is going to be a switchback at the top of the mountain in the everest base camp. I was expliang ow the switchback ws going to work. The basic point I was trying to get across was that it was different than what alot of people thought the swithback was going to be like.

peter11435

Gfhweb said:
On the expidition everest ride there is going to be a switchback at the top of the mountain in the everest base camp. I was expliang ow the switchback ws going to work. The basic point I was trying to get across was that it was different than what alot of people thought the swithback was going to be like.
Actually that is pretty much how we knew it was going to work.

The_CEO

You are one year younger than me. Your profile says you are 15, and you got to talk to the Vice Pres of Imagineering?

Gfhweb

Original Poster
The_CEO said:
You are one year younger than me. Your profile says you are 15, and you got to talk to the Vice Pres of Imagineering?
well actually yes, he is my best friends father. My friend and his family are visiting here in florida for a few weeks because when imagineering got transferred out to california he got trasferred too.

The_CEO

Gfhweb said:
well actually yes, he is my best friends father. My friend and his family are visiting here in florida for a few weeks because when imagineering got transferred out to california he got trasferred too.

Atleast you can backup your story, some people are complete liars on here. Could you maybe draw something up to show us. I understand half of what your saying and I'm curious on the other half with the conveyour and stuff.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
WDWFREAK53 said:
I'm just confused as to why the "Everest Base Camp" is at the top of the mountain :lol:

me too, but i was too scared to say something because i thought everybody would think i was a moron if i just "didnt get it" and i was missing the theme or something.

WDWFREAK53

jmaxwell007 said:
me too, but i was too scared to say something because i thought everybody would think i was a moron if i just "didnt get it" and i was missing the theme or something.

Well, I said it kind of as a joke...because I think I know what he was getting at...he may have just worded it wrong.

The "Everest Base Camp" would be a camp at the base of Everest...but a "base camp" for the trekkers would just be the "main camp" that they set up at...which could be at the "top" of Everest.

ToTBellHop

WDWFREAK53 said:
I'm just confused as to why the "Everest Base Camp" is at the top of the mountain :lol:

Well, I have not heard that it is, either, but if it is, that would make sense. If you look at the real Mt. Everest and compare it to ours, there is usually a camp at that point. The amount of mountain above the highest track height on our mountain represents a couple miles of height on the real mountain, so that is where the last established camp is. It isn't a basecamp, though. I suppose the yeti could have not only ripped out the end of the track at this point, but also destroyed the camp.

Thanks for the update--we hadn't known about the conveyer system. I hope that isn't a nice area for breakdowns...it would suck breaking down at 110 feet...

joel_maxwell

WDWFREAK53 said:
Well, I said it kind of as a joke...because I think I know what he was getting at...he may have just worded it wrong.

The "Everest Base Camp" would be a camp at the base of Everest...but a "base camp" for the trekkers would just be the "main camp" that they set up at...which could be at the "top" of Everest.

yeh, i know. it was one of those things were you scratch your head for 2 seconds, then say oh wait, then realize it isnt worth clarifing because we all know basically what he meant.......................... but then again, this is like the 6 reply on this typo that we "all know what he meant". lol must be a slow day in the office....... lol

Lynx04

I thought the switch track rotated on a y axis, if you look at the pic you will see the switch track attached to the bottom of the track.

full_photo.asp

full_photo.asp

Is this correct?

joel_maxwell

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Thanks for the update--we hadn't known about the conveyer system. I hope that isn't a nice area for breakdowns...it would suck breaking down at 110 feet...

actually, as long as the computer catches it and stops the train from going backwards........................ put me on it. becasue then they would have to unload the train and let you walk down some exit inside..... in which gives you a sneak peak at what is inside that only tech's and some CM's get to see. id love that.

but i understand what you are saying....... that would suck. but maybe not........

flyersmv

yea i hate rides when they are always breaking down....its no fun waiting in line and hereing that the ride has been stoped and will be shut down for a while....happened to me on the mummy and MIB back to back on the same day :fork:

ToTBellHop

jmaxwell007 said:
actually, as long as the computer catches it and stops the train from going backwards........................ put me on it. becasue then they would have to unload the train and let you walk down some exit inside..... in which gives you a sneak peak at what is inside that only tech's and some CM's get to see. id love that.

but i understand what you are saying....... that would suck. but maybe not........
but...if I know Disney, you would sit up there on top of that white mountain in blazing heat for 30 minutes before they even considered letting you out, and then they would lead you down an obscenely-long stairway one by one for fear of you falling...and I'm sure that stairs would somehow end in a special "Everest Breakdown Giftshop" with special LE pins...

nicholas

ISTCNavigator57 said:
but...if I know Disney, you would sit up there on top of that white mountain in blazing heat for 30 minutes before they even considered letting you out, and then they would lead you down an obscenely-long stairway one by one for fear of you falling...and I'm sure that stairs would somehow end in a special "Everest Breakdown Giftshop" with special LE pins...
HAHAHAHA. Brilliant!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From the Orlando Rocks pics it does look like the switch will work horizontally... from the description gfhweb wrote its pretty similar to the monorail switch outside the MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom