Detailed Pirates Updates *SPOILERS*

autumndawn1006

Great report!

In another thread, someone said the CMS were instructed to label Pirates as a "scary" ride? Anything added that would frighten a kid that wasn't frightened before?

OmegaKnight

I got a chance to ride PotC two times after I got off work and was very very impressed with the end result. The Jack Sparrow AA is dead on (in fact, you may have to do a double take to realize its not really Johnny Depp.) What really impressed me the most though is Disney kept the heart of the attraction totally intact and that is what makes me happy the most. Disney did enough to please the old-timers and yet, bring the ride some updating. This ranks up there with some of the best rehabs Disney has ever done on any attraction.

Captain Hank

autumndawn1006 said:
In another thread, someone said the CMS were instructed to label Pirates as a "scary" ride? Anything added that would frighten a kid that wasn't frightened before?
I suppose the Davy Jones effect could be a little startling, as you float right through him. Also, there is no longer any warning before you go over the waterfall, and the battle scene is a bit more realistic. So, I guess there are a few things that young kids might find frightening, but overall, it isn't really much more scary than it was previously.

DonnieDarko

A Few Small Corrections

Very good report, however a few small corrections must be made.

The spanish guitar music is the one of the only queue loops unchanged as the two main audio loops are actually gone. The main entrance area by the former turnstiles used to play music from the Pirates Arcade Fortune Teller machine which used to reside in Disneyland. The bulk of the rest of the queue used to be a montage of pirate voices and laughs with a rendition of them singing "Yo Ho". Both of these have been replaced with the Disneyland Pirates overture which ironically enough was removed from Disneyland's entrance area.

To clarify there has always been two different "captains", one on the ship and one by the well.

To not be understated is the amazing movement not only displayed by the new figures but by all of the older figures as well(the auctioneer and the minstrels for example).

On the other hand, it is rather sad the we lost all seven of the figures that used to reside in the treasure room as they were not relocated in the attraction. *sigh*

In conclusion the new attraction fixes the two biggest design flaws that our *lite* version of Pirates has had since 73.

1.The Davey Jones projection finally allows for a dramatic reveal of the skeletons and the like instead of seeing it from a mile away and just slowly coming up to it.

and 2. There is now finally some semblance of an ending to the ride with Sparrow celebrating the fact that he found what he was looking for instead of just we ran out of money and room and here's a bunch of pirates doin stuff with some guys tied up and bye bye.

All in all, great job on new Pirates. the end

Buford

DonnieDarko said:
The main entrance area by the former turnstiles used to play music from the Pirates Arcade Fortune Teller machine which used to reside in Disneyland. The bulk of the rest of the queue used to be a montage of pirate voices and laughs with a rendition of them singing "Yo Ho". Both of these have been replaced with the Disneyland Pirates overture which ironically enough was removed from Disneyland's entrance area.

oh noes! I'll miss the Arcade track, and the "Piratas! Sound the alarms!" but.... does the overture still play at unload as it has now taken up some of the queue?

disneydata

Original Poster
Buford said:
oh noes! I'll miss the Arcade track, and the "Piratas! Sound the alarms!" but.... does the overture still play at unload as it has now taken up some of the queue?
It still plays there, but the volume needs to be turned up with pretty much every other audio track in the ride :s

Fantasmic

I can't wait to ride this, I wont be going to WDW until next year though!!!

I have a thing for Jack Sparrow, he makes my knees go all weak and wobbly:eek:

Bigmoney's Dad

first to ride on soft opening

My son is turning thirteen on the 12th so I surprised him and my wife and daughter with a trip to DisneyWorld last weekend. He is a huge Pirates fan and thanks to this site I was hoping the rumors of the soft opening were true. We were at the gate at 8:00 am and waited for the park to open. We proceeded to the Pirates ride and waited in line, all the while being told by a variety of Disney Employees including one who called himself "Project Team Manager" that the scheduled opening wa July 7th. The line swelled and shrunk, but we stayed there and waited. After about 45 minutes and over a hundred "this attraction is not scheduled to open until the 7th" speaches, a man dropped the chains and said let em in! My son was the first to get into the boat and we were in the first boat to go through on the soft opening Saturday. They gave us a re-entry pass and a couple of Gold Coins. The ride was great and the updates were especially lifelike. I was amazed at how detailed the animatronics are. Cap'n Jack even winked in a lifelike manner. Thank you to WDWmagic.com for your heads up and for a thirteenth birthday present for my son he and I will remember for a lifetime.

Sorry if this was asked before, but are the pirates still locked up with the dog holding the key, and the pirates hissing, "Gimme the key!"?

I love that...it was hysterical in the movie:)

CaptainMichael

amykissangel said:
Sorry if this was asked before, but are the pirates still locked up with the dog holding the key, and the pirates hissing, "Gimme the key!"?

I love that...it was hysterical in the movie:)
I think that it is safe to say that scene will be there forever in some shape or form. People love it, and it's in the movies.

autumndawn1006

Bigmoney's Dad said:
My son is turning thirteen on the 12th so I surprised him and my wife and daughter with a trip to DisneyWorld last weekend. He is a huge Pirates fan and thanks to this site I was hoping the rumors of the soft opening were true. We were at the gate at 8:00 am and waited for the park to open. We proceeded to the Pirates ride and waited in line, all the while being told by a variety of Disney Employees including one who called himself "Project Team Manager" that the scheduled opening wa July 7th. The line swelled and shrunk, but we stayed there and waited. After about 45 minutes and over a hundred "this attraction is not scheduled to open until the 7th" speaches, a man dropped the chains and said let em in! My son was the first to get into the boat and we were in the first boat to go through on the soft opening Saturday. They gave us a re-entry pass and a couple of Gold Coins. The ride was great and the updates were especially lifelike. I was amazed at how detailed the animatronics are. Cap'n Jack even winked in a lifelike manner. Thank you to WDWmagic.com for your heads up and for a thirteenth birthday present for my son he and I will remember for a lifetime.

Wow! How exciting! And may I add, you are one fine dad:king:

DisneyDork34

Something Missing?

I read that above the Treasure Room there used to be a coat of arms that read "Marco Daviso", or something of that degree that refered to Marc Davis. Does anyone know if that coat of arms is still there since the redoing of the ride???:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom