Destinations Other Than Disneyland: Where To?

BrianLo

Both Japan and Canada are on my list, too. Planning to take my mom to Vancouver, possibly next year or sometime in 2023.

Vancouver is fantastic. I think it’s easily the best big Canadian city. Lots will disagree but they are probably from a big Canadian city and biased. 😅

Quebec City is great if you want to feel truly like you are in a foreign country, but is technically medium. Same with Victoria and Halifax.

Roger_the_pianist

If you like Harry Potter, visit Oxford, England! The city of universities and the traditions there inspired much of Hogwarts. I did an international program there summer of 2019. I thought of scheduling my flight from Florida to visit Harry Potter worlds at Universal, but thought *I'll be in the real thing*

I enjoyed Oxford more than most of London. In a lot of ways Oxford was more like how I imagined London with London being much more of just *city* in most places (but still worth a visit if you are interested and you would likely fly to London then take a train out to Oxford)

aliceismad

Vancouver is fantastic. I think it’s easily the best big Canadian city. Lots will disagree but they are probably from a big Canadian city and biased. 😅

Quebec City is great if you want to feel truly like you are in a foreign country, but is technically medium. Same with Victoria and Halifax.
I've only been to Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto, but Vancouver is great. Wonderful food.

Robbiem

My favourite place to visit is Japan, it really touches your soul. My favourite all time holiday was a few years ago when I was between jobs. I spent five weeks traveling across Japan and it was the most amazing trip of my life. When things are back to normal its where I want to return.

Being British I’m lucky to have been to a lot of Europe. In addition to the places above I’d recommend the following:
Iceland - amazing nature and geological attractions
Lisbon - A really interesting and different city - make sure you visit sintra palace
Tallin. A baltic fairytale walled city with an interesting history which was soviet and is now in the EU
Athens - as good as Rome for history, amazing food as well
Malta - visit the old town of valetta, the fort rinella gun (I got to fire a cannon 😀) and the walled city of Mdina

The other place I’d love to visit when I can safely travel again is Istanbul

Heppenheimer

I know there are a few of us who currently have no interest in buying a Magic Key or just visiting the parks like we used to in general for whatever reasons. I’ve mentioned many times that I’ve been prioritizing traveling nationally and internationally for a few years now. I have a lengthy laundry list of places I’d like to travel to and see.

For those of us who would prefer to spend our money on other destinations besides the Disneyland Resort and possibly any of the other Disney parks around the globe, what are some places on your list? Maybe we can provide tips for places we’ve been to.

I’m hoping to get to New Orleans and Mexico next year for my 30th birthday. I’d be heading to New Orleans first. If anyone has been there and has recommendations for food, entertainment, spots to hit up, etc., I’d love to hear them.

In terms of overseas, my list is long, but Egypt, France, and South Korea are high up.
I'm usually loathe to recommend a hotel I stayed at over two decades ago, but this places looked like the kind of establishment that will always be there and in good shape, so here goes- Maison du Puy in New Orleans. It had both old-style elegance, and suitably modern amenities when I stayed there long ago, and it looks like this is still the case from a cursory glance on their website. Right off of Bourbon Street, but far enough away to be quite at night.

Last edited:

westie

I've been going to las vegas since its relatively cheap compared to disney lately. Being a foodie, there are a million places to eat. Well, half a million now because of covid closures. I can do 4 trips to vegas for every dlr trip and probably 20 for every wdw trip. I'm sorry that disney is on such a cash grab as of late but like the rest of you, it is making me look to other destinations.

Robbiem

I've been going to las vegas since its relatively cheap compared to disney lately. Being a foodie, there are a million places to eat. Well, half a million now because of covid closures. I can do 4 trips to vegas for every dlr trip and probably 20 for every wdw trip. I'm sorry that disney is on such a cash grab as of late but like the rest of you, it is making me look to other destinations.

Las Vegas is fantastic so long as you don't gamble :) There is loads to see both in and around the city and as you say the food scene is fantastic. If you ever travel to Hong Kong a side trip to Macau is a must for similar reasons

Disney Analyst

Both Japan and Canada are on my list, too. Planning to take my mom to Vancouver, possibly next year or sometime in 2023.

If you do come to Vancouver, let me know! I can give you lots of advice.

In terms of my recommendations:

Amsterdam was wonderful.

Italy is my favourite place, went in 2018 and totally in love. We did Rome, Florence****, La Spezia / Cinque Terre****, Milan, and Venice.

**** - Our absolute favourites.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
If you do come to Vancouver, let me know! I can give you lots of advice.

In terms of my recommendations:

Amsterdam was wonderful.

Italy is my favourite place, went in 2018 and totally in love. We did Rome, Florence****, La Spezia / Cinque Terre****, Milan, and Venice.

**** - Our absolute favourites.
You’re the first person I’m hitting up when I start planning my Vancouver visit!

No Name

I’ve been to the Grand Canyon, which was neat but definitely not the coolest thing out there (though I did love Arizona as a whole). Bryce Canyon and Zion were unexpectedly great.

Further north, Mount Rushmore was a bit underwhelming, but I really liked the very unfinished Crazyhorse memorial. And Yellowstone was everything it’s cooked up to be.

Philadelphia is a really nice city in general but especially if you’re interested in American history. The cheesesteaks were alright too.

Hoping to go to some more places outside of the US. I’ve been to a few other countries but there’s a lot on my list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom