Destinations Other Than Disneyland: Where To?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I know there are a few of us who currently have no interest in buying a Magic Key or just visiting the parks like we used to in general for whatever reasons. I’ve mentioned many times that I’ve been prioritizing traveling nationally and internationally for a few years now. I have a lengthy laundry list of places I’d like to travel to and see.

For those of us who would prefer to spend our money on other destinations besides the Disneyland Resort and possibly any of the other Disney parks around the globe, what are some places on your list? Maybe we can provide tips for places we’ve been to.

I’m hoping to get to New Orleans and Mexico next year for my 30th birthday. I’d be heading to New Orleans first. If anyone has been there and has recommendations for food, entertainment, spots to hit up, etc., I’d love to hear them.

In terms of overseas, my list is long, but Egypt, France, and South Korea are high up.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Wait…you’re 29 and defiantly boycotting Disney prices/policies?

You got a LONG life of stress ahead of you…I fear
I’m not one of those people who blow a top over Disney’s decisions anymore. They’ve made it very clear that money is their ultimate goal and will do what it takes to make sure they get more money, even if it means diluting the brand and refusing to care about their fans. They do what they want and will continue. Why would I get super ed about it? It’s a waste of my time and energy. I have other things to be very concerned about.

As you said, I’m 29. I’m too mature to be bursting a blood vessel over choices that the Walt Disney Company makes. They can do what they want. The only thing stressing me out is the process of getting a visa to move to Italy and getting my dog there.

DLR92

My top list to travel are Morocco, S. Korea, Spain, and France. And definitely Croatia.

I have deep want to do a weekend stay in Utah to see my Godmother. It been awhile.

aliceismad

I know there are a few of us who currently have no interest in buying a Magic Key or just visiting the parks like we used to in general for whatever reasons. I’ve mentioned many times that I’ve been prioritizing traveling nationally and internationally for a few years now. I have a lengthy laundry list of places I’d like to travel to and see.

For those of us who would prefer to spend our money on other destinations besides the Disneyland Resort and possibly any of the other Disney parks around the globe, what are some places on your list? Maybe we can provide tips for places we’ve been to.

I’m hoping to get to New Orleans and Mexico next year for my 30th birthday. I’d be heading to New Orleans first. If anyone has been there and has recommendations for food, entertainment, spots to hit up, etc., I’d love to hear them.

In terms of overseas, my list is long, but Egypt, France, and South Korea are high up.
In New Orleans stay away from chains, and the food should be good. Cafe Du Monde is the only can't miss there for me, but I don't drink much and I don't like fish, so beignets and muffaletta is where it's at. The live music is amazing. Preservation Hall is pretty neat. My group liked the Spotted Cat Music Club. The cemetery tour was worth the money once, and the garden district is lovely. Many walkable things to do in New Orleans.

We do a mix of beach, U.S. city, national park, and Disney vacations. We haven't gone overseas for vacation in a while because my kiddo is young, but we've got potential plans for parts of Europe, Southeast Asia, and possibly Chile/Argentina in the coming 5-10 years.

I'm a beach person, so we go to a lot of those. Mexico can be nice, depending on where you want to go and what you want to see. I like the ruins like Chichen Itza, Tulum, Uxmal, Coba, etc., and the cenotes near Tulum. We don't love Cancun, but we like the Riviera Maya area and Isla Mujeres. On the other side, we prefer Puerto Vallarta to Cabo, but it's been a bit. If you enjoy all-inclusives, it's hard to beat the prices in the Dominican Republic, but there are beautiful beaches on every Caribbean island we've been to. Depending on the island, we've done AIs or a regular hotel/rental house. Great food, generally friendly people, and lots of great things if you get a little beyond the beaten path. Hawaii is beautiful, but with the exception of the big island's volcanos and perhaps parts of Kauai, I think many places in the Caribbean are just as beautiful and much cheaper. Costa Rica is fun; you can take a few days at a volcano and a few days at a beach and have a lovely time.

We also do cruises sometimes, because I love being on the ships and just find it so disconnecting and relaxing. But it's true that you don't get a whole lot of experience with the people or places you stop. There's a lot of very touristy areas, and there are also employment, environmental, and development issues that turn some people off regarding cruising.

Last edited:

Rich T

As far as the real world goes, I’d like to visit as many of America’s National Parks as Possible.

In the off-seasons. :D

As far as theme parks go, Efteling is my #1 goal, followed by Europa Park, Phantasialand and Silver Dollar City.

It’s funny how after nearly 60 years of being a Disney super-fan, I’m finding it incredibly easy to say goodbye to the rat factory. The Bobs have turned the company into a thing that is so greedy, hypocritical, shallow, meaningless and uncreative that it genuinely turns my stomach.

But that’s ok. I’ve had a lifetime of fun with my family and friends in a wonderful park that never required reservations, valued original concepts, was affordable for everyone and genuinely respected its guests instead of treating them like gullible, easily-fleeced rubes.

And, of course, all the wonderful art, films and music that was created at pre-Bobs Disney still exists to enjoy. And I purchased those long ago, so I don’t need Disney+. :D

EPCOTCenterLover

I agree with Cafe du Monde as a starting place. Commanders Palace for lunch is incredible. Go to Jackson Square (Cafe du Monde is right there.) Take a buggy ride through the area.

Go to Paris- even without DLP, it is easily worth 4 days.

Victoria, BC- Stunning. British influence meets Native American meets Pacific Northwest.

Tokyo- Haven't been in decades but incredible, futuristic and ancient at the same time.

Washington DC- On par with London. The Spy Museum was designed by Disney. Oodles of fun.

Just some places we love...

PiratesMansion

Paris-people in Paris are nice! Social etiquette is different, and there are definite protocols/etc differences vs. the US. But rude French people was not at all my experience.

You'll want to go up in the Eiffel Tower, I get it, but it's a zoo. Especially the very top level. I'd argue there are much better things to see/do in Paris.

If you want to do Versailles, it's easily accessible from Paris, but go as early as possible, otherwise you'll wait in a massive, multi-hour, unshaded line. I've never seen more people in a building in my life than at Versailles. Every photo I took had to carefully conceal that I was sharing a room with thousands. Those huge palace rooms? Completely full, every single one.

Get the Paris Museum Pass, it's a great deal! All the Paris Art Museums are great-Louvre, Orsay, Pompidou, and Orangerie. The Mona Lisa is bigger than a postage stamp but not by much!

For me, the food lived up to the hype. I sometimes still reminisce about the cheese plate I had adjacent to Sacre Coeur...

The Catacombs was cool but long, and not for everyone. Eventually you reach a point where you spend ~20 minutes walking down hallways of nothing but human skulls. If that sounds intreguing, it's worth seeing. If not, avoid.

If anyone is interested in Paris and London, they are connected by the EuroStar train that goes through the Chunnel (regrettably, there's nothing exciting about the Chunnel).

Do a day at Disneyland Paris! Anything outside of the main park is for completionists only.

As for where I'd like to go: I really want to do a coaster/theme park loop around Europe because I am that breed of terrible tourist. But in terms of cities, I'd like to visit: Berlin, Seoul, Singapore, Macau potentially, Stockholm, Amsterdam, and Vienna. Spain and Ireland interest me generally but I don't know enough about those countries to narrow in on specific cities or sites.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I just want to go back to Rome as expeditiously as possible and hit up all the archaeological sites; a week was not enough to really savor it all. Also want to travel to Paris, Amsterdam, London, and Tokyo at some point, but we'll see when we can make it there. 😂
Rome is my favorite city I’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting. I agree that a week is not enough!

PiratesMansion

Silver Dollar City for @Rich T:
-Fall and Christmas are the busiest times of the year (more than a quarter of their annual attendance comes during Christmas).
-My personal event rankings: 1. Old Time Christmas 2. Harvest Festival 3. Bluegrass and BBQ 4. Whatever they're currently calling their summer festival 5. Southern Gospel Picnic.
-The park is best appreciated over two days. It benefits from a relaxing pace and soaking everything in. Currently, the park sells two-day tickets, decently priced if I recall. Parking is free.
-I recommend arriving around 1 hour before official opening time. This will give you time to park, wait for the tram, take the tram to the entrance, and get in before the crowd. Silver Dollar City's entrance is quaint but tiny and doesn't handle crowds well (the entrance path is wedged tightly between the natural entrance to Marvel Cave and the cable car that returns you to the surface). You can then walk around the square, eat breakfast or stop at the bakery, and often times watch a pre-opening show at the Gazebo before the official grand opening ceremony.
-During non-Pumpkin/Christmas times, going on Saturday can be beneficial if you care about the coasters as you can be sure that all of them will be running multiple trains on Saturdays. Time Traveler always runs multiple trains but the others are hit or miss. Time Traveler and Powder Keg are consistently popular and busy, but the others can be walk-ons if you time it right.
-I'd recommend riding Powder Keg first, then heading to Mystic River Falls if interested before heading up the hill to Time Traveler.
-Avoid March or any other time of the year before the first advertised festival. During the early season, the rides will be running but a lot of the other things that make the park special don't debut until Festival # 1 hits.
-Navigating the park is very tricky for first-timers, but one key tip is that if you're going downhill, you're going further into the park; uphill, towards the exit. The park's lowest point is near the entrance to Mystic River Falls.
-Elevation changes and hills are constant, but there's one particular hill if you head down to the left from the entrance (they even call it "Hill Street") that's especially brutal. This particular hill is best avoided unless you absolutely must traverse it-there are almost always alternatives.
-Entertainment changes constantly, and even the established acts will change their repertoire at each performance. There's nearly always a visiting group or two. Music-based events will have even more variety.
-Of the resident entertainers, the Homestead Pickers are my favorite. If they're doing a show at the gazebo (typically pre-park opening), that may be the best place to see them as they're older gentlemen with quiet voices, and the gazebo is the only place where they have microphones. The sign on the Homestead will tell you where they'll be performing if it's absent from the map as it sometimes is.
-Flooded Mine typically has short waits, but it's right next to the train station, so it sees influxes of crowds every 30 minutes or so.
-Grandfather's Mansion is a walkthrough funhouse that's easy to miss. At the main entrance square, take the path between the general store and the ice cream parlor, and just before you go down the stairs is the entrance.
-All the crafters and demonstrations are great, but the glassblowers are my personal favorite. And unlike some parks, where they only make little trinket sort of things, they make full size glassware.
-Definitely do the cave tour! You can spring for the upcharge lantern tour if you like, which takes you into some rooms you don't see on the regular tour and in darkness, but the free regular tour hits all the highlights. Note the timing of the last cave tour on your way in. The cave tour is inside the Hospitality House, which you must walk through to reach the park proper.
-I wouldn't say there's any restaurants to avoid except the handful of burger and hot dog places. If you're looking at menus and see something appealing, get it at lunch when you can be sure the restaurant will be open. The app also lists menus for all permanent restaurants if you want to peruse what they sell before you arrive or in line. The new BBQ restaurant is still quite popular, so get there early if that's where you're headed. The nearby woodfired pizza restaurant (prob not my top recommendation either, but not bad) also gets quite slammed at mealtimes.
-Sweet tooth recommendations: the Cinnamon Bread; (NOT to be confused with the cinnamon rolls in the bakery at the entrance-it's only sold at the Cinnamon Bread building near Mystic River Falls); Apple Dumplings with cinnamon ice cream (typically the seasonal stalls; easy to find from Sept-December and sporadic otherwise), Peanut Butter Fudge from Brown's Candy, mint fudge at Christmas; Wassail at Christmas; the molasses cookies at the bakery are just like the ones my grandmother used to make; endless taffy varieties at the taffy factory.

Hopefully this is coherent! I hope you're able to get to the park soon!

Parteecia

Does local count? There are museums of every kind in SoCal that I've been wanting to visit. And L.A. has so many cultural neighborhoods that you can practically travel the world in one city. A mural tour is on my list too.

Rich T

Silver Dollar City for @Rich T:
-Fall and Christmas are the busiest times of the year (more than a quarter of their annual attendance comes during Christmas).
-My personal event rankings: 1. Old Time Christmas 2. Harvest Festival 3. Bluegrass and BBQ 4. Whatever they're currently calling their summer festival 5. Southern Gospel Picnic.
-The park is best appreciated over two days. It benefits from a relaxing pace and soaking everything in. Currently, the park sells two-day tickets, decently priced if I recall. Parking is free.
-I recommend arriving around 1 hour before official opening time. This will give you time to park, wait for the tram, take the tram to the entrance, and get in before the crowd. Silver Dollar City's entrance is quaint but tiny and doesn't handle crowds well (the entrance path is wedged tightly between the natural entrance to Marvel Cave and the cable car that returns you to the surface). You can then walk around the square, eat breakfast or stop at the bakery, and often times watch a pre-opening show at the Gazebo before the official grand opening ceremony.
-During non-Pumpkin/Christmas times, going on Saturday can be beneficial if you care about the coasters as you can be sure that all of them will be running multiple trains on Saturdays. Time Traveler always runs multiple trains but the others are hit or miss. Time Traveler and Powder Keg are consistently popular and busy, but the others can be walk-ons if you time it right.
-I'd recommend riding Powder Keg first, then heading to Mystic River Falls if interested before heading up the hill to Time Traveler.
-Avoid March or any other time of the year before the first advertised festival. During the early season, the rides will be running but a lot of the other things that make the park special don't debut until Festival # 1 hits.
-Navigating the park is very tricky for first-timers, but one key tip is that if you're going downhill, you're going further into the park; uphill, towards the exit. The park's lowest point is near the entrance to Mystic River Falls.
-Elevation changes and hills are constant, but there's one particular hill if you head down to the left from the entrance (they even call it "Hill Street") that's especially brutal. This particular hill is best avoided unless you absolutely must traverse it-there are almost always alternatives.
-Entertainment changes constantly, and even the established acts will change their repertoire at each performance. There's nearly always a visiting group or two. Music-based events will have even more variety.
-Of the resident entertainers, the Homestead Pickers are my favorite. If they're doing a show at the gazebo (typically pre-park opening), that may be the best place to see them as they're older gentlemen with quiet voices, and the gazebo is the only place where they have microphones. The sign on the Homestead will tell you where they'll be performing if it's absent from the map as it sometimes is.
-Flooded Mine typically has short waits, but it's right next to the train station, so it sees influxes of crowds every 30 minutes or so.
-Grandfather's Mansion is a walkthrough funhouse that's easy to miss. At the main entrance square, take the path between the general store and the ice cream parlor, and just before you go down the stairs is the entrance.
-All the crafters and demonstrations are great, but the glassblowers are my personal favorite. And unlike some parks, where they only make little trinket sort of things, they make full size glassware.
-Definitely do the cave tour! You can spring for the upcharge lantern tour if you like, which takes you into some rooms you don't see on the regular tour and in darkness, but the free regular tour hits all the highlights. Note the timing of the last cave tour on your way in. The cave tour is inside the Hospitality House, which you must walk through to reach the park proper.
-I wouldn't say there's any restaurants to avoid except the handful of burger and hot dog places. If you're looking at menus and see something appealing, get it at lunch when you can be sure the restaurant will be open. The app also lists menus for all permanent restaurants if you want to peruse what they sell before you arrive or in line. The new BBQ restaurant is still quite popular, so get there early if that's where you're headed. The nearby woodfired pizza restaurant (prob not my top recommendation either, but not bad) also gets quite slammed at mealtimes.
-Sweet tooth recommendations: the Cinnamon Bread; (NOT to be confused with the cinnamon rolls in the bakery at the entrance-it's only sold at the Cinnamon Bread building near Mystic River Falls); Apple Dumplings with cinnamon ice cream (typically the seasonal stalls; easy to find from Sept-December and sporadic otherwise), Peanut Butter Fudge from Brown's Candy, mint fudge at Christmas; Wassail at Christmas; the molasses cookies at the bakery are just like the ones my grandmother used to make; endless taffy varieties at the taffy factory.

Hopefully this is coherent! I hope you're able to get to the park soon!
Thank you!!!! This is incredibly helpful and has inspired me to double my efforts to get to SDC in the very near future! Also, now I’m craving molasses cookies and peanut butter fudge!

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I've lived in Arizona for 20 years and even though this place isn't like a vacation to me, I think you'd probably enjoy it quite a bit. During the winter time the weather is great. We hardly see rain and get loads of sunny days.

We have Barrett Jackson, the biggest classic car show in the US, if not the world, at Westworld Scottsdale in February
We have the Odyssey Aquarium, which is a cool place to visit
The Phoenix Zoo, Botanical Garden, and Butterfly Wonderland in Phoenix & Scottsdale are underrated IMO
Countless hiking trails with beautiful views of the entire Phoenix area
1-2 hours north is Sedona, a gorgeous red-rock paradise, and a little further than that is Flagstaff AZ with Snowbowl.
Every 2 years, Luke Air Force base hosts an air show
Fountain Hills Park has a fountain that shoots water up to 560 feet in ideal conditions. It goes off every hour.
Old Town Scottsdale & Mill Ave in Tempe are great bar scenes and tourist attractions

Oh and although Tucson AZ is a ugly town, Pima Air & Space Museum is a must visit if you're interested in aviation.

Let me if you have any questions about the area!

smooch

I think I've mentioned this here before but a few years ago I travelled to Rome, Florence, and Prague on a trip over the summer and it was incredible. I loved Rome so much, so much history (I even took a Roman culture class last semester so it made me appreciate everything I saw even more) and genuinely interesting things to see. Prague was very cool because my mom is from Czech so we got to see the small village she grew up in and got to meet family we had never met before. I would highly recommend those 3 places to visit! I personally really want to visit Japan, I was supposed to go last summer but my trip was cancelled due to the pandemic, obviously. I want to visit DisneySea there one day but I only wanna spend one day at Disney there so I can actually see the rest of Japan and explore. Hopefully my family and I can do that trip soon but we have to wait and see when it will work out pandemic / work / school-wise.

BrianLo

I've been lucky to have been on quite the spree of International travel the last decade. Of course the usual suspects.

A couple two week trips that often aren't on everyone's radar that I'd highly recommend; Peru, New Zealand and then SE Asia (Cambodia and Vietnam are my picks). I think Japan makes most people's list because of the Disney connection here, but I very much recommend it to most friends who wouldn't go to the parks.

I'm booked for Greece and separately Iceland / Norwegian Fjords. We cancelled Greece for this year (I'm just not confident yet about not getting 'stuck') and are going to do Maui instead.

Bucket list stuff for me is probably some African continent stuff. It was definitely on the too expensive side for my 20's. South Africa, Tanzania and Egypt are three.

Good for budget travellers are South America, South East Asia and Eastern Europe.

Canada - Vancouver Island: (which is different than Vancouver) Victoria + Tofino make a great trip. Or Doing Banff/Jasper (Or Waterton) if Calgary is your flight instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom