Destination D: Amazing Adventures, at Contemporary Nov 19-20, 2016

prberk

Original Poster
D23 is having another "Destination D" event at the Contemporary this fall, and legendary imagineers Tony Baxter and Joe Rohde will be there, among others. It will focus on the "Adventureland" theme and feature the Adventureland and Animal Kingdom history.

I would love to attend this event. Really wanted to attend the one they did on Tomorrowland, but I was helping my mother out with finances (still am), so finances were a little tight. But at least they streamed some of the other on one. Not sure about that for this one, but I did want to let everyone know about about. It does not seem like anyone has talked about it.

The info is below, but one thing personally I want to know, is if anyone who is already going knows that discounted rate that they will be offering for rooms at the Contemporary to people attending the event. There is a convention rate that they will offer, but you cannot see it until you purchase a ticket to the event. So, if anyone knows it I would appreciate info.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming... here is the info from the D23 site:

https://d23.com/d23-event/destination-d-2016/

OVERVIEW
D23 Members are invited to join the excitement of D23 Destination D: Amazing Adventures, a celebration of Disney adventures of the past, present, and future.

DETAILS
The two-day event will take place November 19 and 20, 2016, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort.

Since Walt Disney first brought his groundbreaking True-Life Adventures to the big screen, adventure has played a pivotal role in Disney entertainment, from the Jungle Cruise andPirates of the Caribbean to the new planet of Pandora, which will soon be unveiled at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. This year, members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are invited to join the excitement at D23 Destination D: Amazing Adventures, a celebration of these landmarks of the past, present, and future. The two-day event will take place November 19 and 20, 2016 at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort.

Presenters and panelists include Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter; Walt Disney Imagineers Joe Rohde, Chris Merritt, Jason Grandt, and Wyatt Winter; producer Don Hahn (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast); and Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline—and more to be announced.*

Mickey’s of Glendale, the famed Walt Disney Imagineering store, returns to the event with a pop-up shop at the event for attendees, featuring a selection of exclusive Imagineering merchandise as well as limited-edition pins, T-shirts, and collectibles themed to the event.

Highlights of D23 DESTINATION D: AMAZING ADVENTURES will include*:

• New Walt Disney World Adventures: From Soarin’ Around the World to Rivers of Light—Get an insider’s glimpse into the latest experiences across Walt Disney World Resort as Disney Imagineers provide a behind-the-scenes look at new and upcoming entertainment.
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Evolving a New Species of Theme Park—Explore the origins and incredible evolution of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, from early concepts to up-close looks at new enhancements to be discovered at the park.
  • Magic Journeys: 45 Years of Walt Disney World Adventures—Celebrate the 45th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort with a nostalgic journey through some of the Vacation Kingdom’s most unique and fondly-remembered adventures!
  • A Look Back at Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventures—Join Disney historians on an expedition through the landmark True-Life Adventure series, which earned the Disney Studio eight Academy Awards®!
  • The Art and Adventures of Marc Davis—Discover the adventurous artwork of artist, animator, and Disney Legend Marc Davis with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Production Designer Chris Merritt, who is authoring a new book on the Disney Legend.
The weekend event will take place in the convention center at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Tickets go on sale April 21, 2016, and are $190 each for D23 Gold and Gold Family Members. Tickets are also available to D23 General Members for $250 per ticket. All guests will receive a special gift created exclusively for the event, and attendees are guaranteed seats at all panels and presentations. A limited number of Wilderness Explorer VIP tickets will be available featuring early shopping, an exclusive evening experience on November 18, reserved seating for all presentations, a special gift bag, exclusive collectibles, and more.

Specially priced rooms and theme park tickets will be available to D23 Members who purchase Destination D tickets.

NOTE
D23 Gold and General Members may reserve a ticket for themselves and one (1) guest; D23 Gold Family Members may reserve tickets for themselves and up to three (3) guests. There is a limited number of spaces available. All guests without active room reservations at Disney’s Contemporary Resort must park at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and take the Monorail service to the event.

No Name

Sounds neat! And proves that Rivers of Light is not dead, to anyone who wrongfully thought it was.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this. And if nothing does, at least it will be a nice gathering and meet session thingy for those who attend.

Hope it goes well.

Figments Friend

i remember last years Event, and heard about this one a few months ago.
As much as I would enjoy going , I cannot justify the $250 price tag for a ticket to a two day small scale event.
For almost half that price, I could attend the D23 Expo for 3 very full days at a large scale Event and still get to see most of these same folks and similar presentations.

I am however interested in learning what Tony will be talking about this time.
Last year, he talked about 'Discovery Bay' and it was the primary reason he was there.
This year?
I am guessing something related to the '45 years of WDW' panel / topic.
Perhaps he will talk about his adventures helping to open the Park in 1970 / 1971.
He has some entertaining stories!
:)

-

asianway

Sounds neat! And proves that Rivers of Light is not dead, to anyone who wrongfully thought it was.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this. And if nothing does, at least it will be a nice gathering and meet session thingy for those who attend.

Hope it goes well.
Doesn't prove anything this is oooold news and the session has been listed for months

prberk

Original Poster
i remember last years Event, and heard about this one a few months ago.
As much as I would enjoy going , I cannot justify the $250 price tag for a ticket to a two day small scale event.
For almost half that price, I could attend the D23 Expo for 3 very full days at a large scale Event and still get to see most of these same folks and similar presentations.

I am however interested in learning what Tony will be talking about this time.
Last year, he talked about 'Discovery Bay' and it was the primary reason he was there.
This year?
I am guessing something related to the '45 years of WDW' panel / topic.
Perhaps he will talk about his adventures helping to open the Park in 1970 / 1971.
He has some entertaining stories!

-

Although I agree about the price tag about all of these events (even though part of that $200 would be the gold membership with the magazine and gift), I kind of was thinking the opposite on scale. I enjoyed being among fellow Disney nerds at D23 last year, and enjoyed time at Disneyland; but I found the event to be massively overcrowded, and the lines painfully long, with many things just unable to be attended without hours taken out early. I still cringe when I think of spending the entire morning, from 8 a.m. until about 11:00 a.m. in the 95-degree heat in a line outside of a perfectly empty foot-ball-stadium size building, waiting to get in, even though I had already gotten my pass the night before.

So, what I was thinking here was that people might actually get a little closer to the events and be able to see things without a two hour wait to everything and crushing crowds; and maybe the lines would be shorter and inside the building. So, I was thinking it would be easier here to talk to Tony and the others for a little while. I might be wrong, but I was thinking smaller scale was better if you wanted to talk to or meet the panelists.

Figments Friend

Although I agree about the price tag about all of these events (even though part of that $200 would be the gold membership with the magazine and gift), I kind of was thinking the opposite on scale. I enjoyed being among fellow Disney nerds at D23 last year, and enjoyed time at Disneyland; but I found the event to be massively overcrowded, and the lines painfully long, with many things just unable to be attended without hours taken out early. I still cringe when I think of spending the entire morning, from 8 a.m. until about 11:00 a.m. in the 95-degree heat in a line outside of a perfectly empty foot-ball-stadium size building, waiting to get in, even though I had already gotten my pass the night before.

So, what I was thinking here was that people might actually get a little closer to the events and be able to see things without a two hour wait to everything and crushing crowds; and maybe the lines would be shorter and inside the building. So, I was thinking it would be easier here to talk to Tony and the others for a little while. I might be wrong, but I was thinking smaller scale was better if you wanted to talk to or meet the panelists.

You have actually touched upon a very valid point, and you are right.
The 'smaller' Event will have it's nice benefits and the best one being what you mentioned.
I think I'm looking at it strictly from a price tag standpoint for what is being offered, and forgetting about the other aspects that a smaller gathering can bring in itself.
Good call, my friend!

I would love to go and hang out with Tony for the afternoon during this, but it's still too pricey for me.

-

prberk

Original Poster
Does anyone here know:
  • the discounted park ticket prices, or
  • the discounted Contemporary room rates
for those attending the event?

You have to buy a ticket before they will let you know the discounted rates. But I would want to know them before I know if it is worthwhile to come, especially the hotel rates. In the past convention rates for these things are usually a pretty good discount (like room rates in the one-hundreds), but I would want to know for sure if I can.

dweezil78

So, what I was thinking here was that people might actually get a little closer to the events and be able to see things without a two hour wait to everything and crushing crowds; and maybe the lines would be shorter and inside the building.

The Destination D events are very, very intimate compared to the Expo. Everyone is guaranteed a seat and is able to see everything there is to be seen. Plus you never know who you will bump into. Highly recommend them, they are great!

MagicHappens1971

Highly doubt it since no insiders have heard/shared anything, but it would be cool if they chose the Adventure theme because Adventureland was getting a new attraction/expansion.

prberk

Original Poster
I really hope some of you here can give us updates or pics from the event this weekend. I really, really wanted to go, but just could not pull it off.

I want someone to ask Joe Rohde about the ToT Guardians update and see if he can say anything that helps us determine where his AND the company's current thoughts are toward it at WDW. I really hope that (1) he does not really want it to happen at WDW, and (2) he gets a solid impression from fans at WDW that the current ToT is perfectly themed and iconic and should not go anywhere (nor should the Great Movie Ride, but we know that at least Joe is involved with the ToT redo in California).

On a brighter side, I would love to see pics from the events.

Here is the latest schedule update, from the website ( https://d23.com/d23-event/destination-d-2016/ ):

DETAILS
The two-day event will take place November 19 and 20, 2016, at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort.

Since Walt Disney first brought his groundbreaking True-Life Adventures to the big screen, adventure has played a pivotal role in Disney entertainment, from the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean to the new planet of Pandora, which will soon be unveiled at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. This year, members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are invited to join the excitement at D23 Destination D: Amazing Adventures, a celebration of these landmarks of the past, present, and future. The two-day event will take place November 19 and 20, 2016 at Disney’s Contemporary Resort at Walt Disney World Resort.

AVATAR creators James Cameron (writer, director, producer) and Jon Landau (producer) will join Imagineer Joe Rohde for Pandora – The World of AVATAR, a presentation where they will unveil new details about the immersive, 12-acre land coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. In addition, the event will include a conversation with Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Plus, Moana screenwriter Jared Bush (co-writer/co-director Zootopia) will be on hand to provide guests an exclusive advance look at the making of Walt Disney Animation Studios’ newest animated feature.

The Walt Disney Archives will present a special exhibit created exclusively for the event: Walt’s Great Adventures, featuring photographs, props, and models that showcase Walt Disney’s personal voyages, including his trip to South America in 1941, as well as some of his most memorable creations for television, film, and theme parks, such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Additionally, during the weekend, guests will be among the first to see the new Ethan Allen | Disney home furnishing line in person.Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter; Walt Disney Imagineers Joe Rohde, Chris Merritt, Jason Grandt, and Wyatt Winter; producer Don Hahn (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast); and Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline.returns to the event with a pop-up shop at the event for attendees, featuring a selection of exclusive Imagineering merchandise as well as limited-edition pins, T-shirts, and collectibles themed to the event.

D23 Destination D: Amazing Adventures Event Program*

Friday, November 18
10 a.m.–6 p.m. — Registration Open
Disney’s Contemporary Resort Convention Center—East Registration

11:30 a.m.–6 p.m. — “Walt’s Great Adventures” Exhibit Open
Walt Disney Archives Exhibit
Disney’s Contemporary Resort Convention Center—Olympus A & B

2–8 p.m. — Mickey’s of Glendale Shopping Open
Disney’s Contemporary Resort Convention Center—Sorcerer’s Apprentice Room

Saturday, November 19
7 a.m –2 p.m. — Registration / Guest Services Open

7 a.m.–5 p.m. — Mickey’s of Glendale Shopping Open
Disney’s Contemporary Resort Convention Center—Sorcerer’s Apprentice Room

8–9 a.m. — “Walt’s Great Adventures” Exhibit Open

8:15–9 a.m. — Doors Open to Fantasia Ballroom
General Admission Seating

9 a.m — Welcome!

9:10 a.m. — A Conversation with Bob Chapek
Bob Chapek
, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, will sit down with D23’s Jeffrey Epstein to share his insights on the parks.

9:50 a.m. — A Look Back at Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventures
Join film producer Don Hahn and Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline on an expedition through the landmark True-Life Adventure series, which earned the Disney Studio eight Academy Awards®!

10:45–11 a.m. — Break

11 a.m. — Albert Schweitzer, Harper Goff, Bill Evans, and “The Wonderland of Nature’s Own Design”
Welcome to Adventureland! Disney Legend and Imagineering ambassador Marty Sklar presents a tour through the earliest concepts for the themed realm and how Harper Goff, Morgan “Bill” Evans, and other legendary designers brought Walt Disney’s vision to life.

12–2 p.m. — Afternoon Break
Walt Disney World Resort restaurants will be open, and snack carts will available. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return.

12–2 p.m. — “Walt’s Great Adventures” Exhibit Open

1:30–2 p.m. — Doors Open to Fantasia Ballroom

2 p.m. — A Special Announcement from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

2:05 p.m. — Disney Adventurelands Around the World
Set off on a journey through exotic realms at Disney theme parks around the globe, as Imagineers Tony Baxter, Jason Grandt, and Luc Mayrand explore “Adventurelands” from Florida to Shanghai.

2:45 p.m. — Tales from the Jungle Cruise
Fans of “the backside of water” unite! Discover the legendary history of the world-famous attraction with a panel of historians, skippers, and Imagineers, including Justin Arthur, Alex Grayman, Kevin Lively, Chris Merritt, Trevor Van Dahm, and Wyatt Winter.

3:30–3:45 p.m. — Break

3:45 p.m. — Disney’s Polynesian Resort 45th Anniversary
From tropical hideaways to enchanting entertainment, celebrate the spirit of aloha as Disney artists Casey Jones and Richard Terpstra, Disney Vacation Club’s Ryan March, and D23’s Steven Vagnini look back at 45 years of the classic South Pacific-themed getaway.

4:40 p.m.— MOANA: Building a Legend
For centuries, the greatest sailors in the world masterfully navigated the vast Pacific, discovering the many islands of Oceania. But then, 3,000 years ago, their voyages stopped for a millennium—and no one knows exactly why. Screenwriter Jared Bush (co-director/co-screenwriter, Zootopia) shares how that question became the jumping-off point for the story of Moana, and presents exclusive footage from the film.

5:30–7:30 p.m. — Evening Break

7:30 p.m. — An Evening at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
Join us for a special celebration of the 45th anniversary of Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort.

10 p.m. — Conclusion of today’s adventures.

Sunday, November 20
7 a.m.–2 p.m. — Guest Services Open

7 a.m.–5 p.m. — Mickey’s of Glendale Shopping Open
Sorcerer’s Apprentice Ballroom

8–9 a.m. — “Walt’s Great Adventures” Exhibit Open

8:15–9 a.m. — Doors Open to Fantasia Ballroom

9 a.m. — It All Started with a Map
Discover details on why and how Disney theme park maps have changed over time with historians Kevin Neary and Susan Neary, two co-authors of Maps of the Disney Parks: Charting 60 Years from California to Shanghai (Disney Editions, 2016).

9:20 a.m. — New Walt Disney World Adventures
Get an insider’s glimpse into the latest experiences across Walt Disney World Resort with behind-the-scenes looks at new entertainment—featuring Walt Disney World Resort Ambassadors Caitlin Busscher and Nathaniel Palma, Entertainment Show Director Tom Vazzana, and Imagineer Wyatt Winter!

10:05–10:20 a.m. — Break

10:20 a.m. — Magic Journeys: 45 Years of Walt Disney World Adventures
As we celebrate the 45th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort, join Imagineers Jason Grandt and Alex Wright for a nostalgic journey through some of the Vacation Kingdom’s most unique and fondly remembered adventures!

11:05 a.m. — Pandora – The World of AVATAR
AVATAR creators James Cameron (writer, director, producer) and Jon Landau (producer) and Imagineer Joe Rohde unveil new details about the immersive, 12-acre land coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

12–2 p.m. — Afternoon Break
Walt Disney World Resort restaurants will be open and snack carts available. Please note that all seating in the ballroom will be cleared. No reserved seating upon return.

12–2 p.m. — “Walt’s Great Adventures” Exhibit Open

2 p.m. — The Art and Adventures of Marc Davis
From Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room to Pirates of the Caribbean, discover the adventurous artwork of artist and animator Marc Davis with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Production Designer Chris Merritt, who is co-authoring a new book on the Disney Legend.

3:05 p.m. — The Imagineering Adventure
In this two-part session, discover how Imagineers bring adventurous Disney experiences to life, with an in-depth look at attractions from Indiana Jones Adventure with Disney Legend Tony Baxter, to Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure, with Shanghai Disneyland Portfolio Creative Executive Luc Mayrand.

4:15–4:30 p.m. — Break

4:30 p.m. — Guiding Animals Through Change
With brand-new evening experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, how does one prepare animals for changes to the nighttime ambience of the park, and how does one know if these animals are happy with the changes? ? Dr. Scott Terrell, Director, Animal and Science Operations, will talk you through the process they followed and share stories of the great care our animals get.

4:55 p.m. — Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Evolving a New Species of Theme Park
Imagineer Joe Rohde shares the origins and incredible evolution of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, from early concepts to new experiences to be discovered at the park!

6 p.m. — Farewell

6–8 p.m. — Evening Break

8 p.m. — In-Park Gathering (Optional)
Walt Disney World Resort theme park admission required.
Walt Disney World Resort theme park admission NOT required.
Details forthcoming.

9:30 p.m. — Conclusion of Destination D’s amazing adventures.

A printed event program will be distributed to attendees upon check-in.

Wilderness Explorer VIP attendees will receive a separate agenda with event details soon.

*Please be advised: All schedules, events, and merchandise are subject to change without notice. For the enjoyment of all attendees, access in and out of the Fantasia ballroom may be limited during presentations.

The weekend event will take place in the convention center at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Tickets, on sale now, are $190 each for D23 Gold and Gold Family Members. Tickets are also available to D23 General Members for $250 per ticket. All guests will receive a special gift created exclusively for the event, and attendees are guaranteed seats at all panels and presentations.
Notice that the 8 p.m. Sunday night park gathering first said it required park admission, but then that was changed. (The website shows the first sentence in strikethrough format that does not come through here in cut-and-paste.) So, it looks like at least they conceded on one thing that would have clearly been a cash-grab (charging admission to folks who already had paid $200 for tickets to the event, just so that they could experience the last hour of it).

But I really think the event looks cool, and I would appreciate any updates or pics (especially from the walk-through exhibit from the archives). Last year they webcasted one of the presentations (on the CoP), but this year I have not seen any notice of a webcast at all. You would think that at least gold members would have a webcast option. But anyway, it looks fun. Wish I could be there. If you are staying at the Poly this weekend, maybe at least you can catch a glimpse of the Poly night.

Let us know, please, if you are attending.

prberk

Original Poster
That. Is. A. Lot. Of. Money.

Yeah, especially if you add in hotel; but I can say that there is a lot of star power and great archive events and things to do packed into the schedule, especially for fans who want to meet and hear from the imagineers and archivists.

prberk

Original Poster
Very interesting info at 13:34

Thanks. Glad you found that. Wish D3 itself were broadcasting from the event.

Please keep it coming.

The events she discussed are now up on the D23 website, but with few details. I will glad to see that they are doing something for Epcot's 35th. I hope it stirs up some memories of the promise of Epcot that will help get the message to those proposing to change it to IP land, but I will not get my hopes up too much.

DinoInstitute

A bunch of tidbits of stuff released!

-DHS Tower confirmed safe from GotG!
-Many Epcot projects coming over the next several years
-Star Tours will add scenes from episode 8 next year
-New DHS Star Wars Land concept art:
CxofoOaUUAA49nN.jpg:large

-Pandora opening summer 2017
-New Pandora concept art:
avaq23402935.jpg

avam53249258.jpg

pongu.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom