Deluxe Hotel, what are you really getting?

surfsupdon

Though I agree with most everything else...this in particular is an illusion.

Same staff from a centralized pool. Absolutely nothing is in place to provide safeguards making the grand Floridian staff better than POP...people just assume that because the scenery is nicer.
I tend to disagree with that statement, and I’m not looking to get roasted for my opinion and observation. Having recently just stayed at Pop, I can see differences amongst the CMs between a value and a Deluxe. My thoughts are generalizations as there were outliers, but overall there was a difference.

All CMs encountered at all properties are thoughtful, helpful, caring and nice. That goes across the board since we started on site resorts in ‘88.

At values, there were some language barriers especially at food courts and with Mousekeeping. The front desk and food court CMs at values also appeared more disheveled in appearance, younger, and therefore with less experience. It’s not a negative, but it was a difference. Am I crazy or does anybody else see that?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I tend to disagree with that statement, and I’m not looking to get roasted for my opinion and observation. Having recently just stayed at Pop, I can see differences amongst the CMs between a value and a Deluxe. My thoughts are generalizations as there were outliers, but overall there was a difference.

All CMs encountered at all properties are thoughtful, helpful, caring and nice. That goes across the board since we started on site resorts in ‘88.

At values, there were some language barriers especially at food courts and with Mousekeeping. The front desk and food court CMs at values also appeared more disheveled in appearance, younger, and therefore with less experience. It’s not a negative, but it was a difference. Am I crazy or does anybody else see that?

Your opinion is your opinion...your observations are as valid as anyone.

However that’s not indicative of staffing...people come down the pipeline and are placed with no rhyme or reason...there are no special qualifications/skills/interviewing for any one site...and no blocks on transfers.

It is what it is.

JusticeDisney

So we're going to be staying at Yacht Club in December but this really got me thinking (i.e some of the posts in the International Gateway thread), just what are you getting for the increased cost?

Location and prestige are about the only thing I can think of. Club Level doesn't really even give that much of a perk outside of the tinkering with extra fast passes. Usually at higher end hotels you're paying for service, but at a Disney hotel that's largely a wash IMO.

I can see the point of the monorail hotels to degree but if the international gateway gets changed for the gondola, just what does the Epcot Deluxes offer in the long run?

Note we have stayed at moderate for years like POR and the location IMO is top notch with only AK being a longer ride. Everything else? Really quick to MK.
You say location as if it’s a minor thing. To me, it is absolutely HUGE. We almost always stay at the Beach Club, and let me tell you, the ability to take a short walk to two different parks is invaluable. The amount of time that you save walking can’t be understated.

In addition to location, the deluxes (certainly the Epcot ones) give you quick access to outstanding restaurants, far better than any you will find at values or moderates.

Then there are the actual rooms. No comparison, IMO, between the rooms at a deluxe versus the lower level resorts, not to mention the spectacular views that you can get only at a deluxe resort.

You definitely pay more for a deluxe, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Tinkerbella16

Our first deluxe resort stay was the Beach Club in 2016 and we absolutely fell in love with the resort. Granted, we didn't pay rack rate, we paid $200/night which is a steal for a deluxe. Last year we paid $226/night. I don't know if we'd ever be able to pull off rack rate, it is expensive, but I see why it is the price that it is. But we felt it was definitely worth it at a discounted price.

The location alone was amazing! Being steps away from Epcot, a boat ride away from DHS was just so convenient. The pool was the best we have experienced on property - we spent every afternoon there! We usually stay at the moderate resorts, so having the extra space in the rooms was great. I am not a big fan of the interior hallways though - the balconies are nice, but my goodness the noise at night in those hallways were awful, both trips... I was woken up in the middle of the night a lot. Another thing would be the QS - I just wish they'd offer more options at the QS for lunch/dinner. Having to go to the pool for chicken nuggets and fries was a bit of a pain, but we were glad we were able to get them at all. We were able to see Illuminations and the Star Wars fireworks right from the resort which was so nice. We would enjoy the grounds and walk around at night and just sit on a bench while the fireworks went off. The Beach Club has become our favorite resort, right next to POR.

Willmark

Original Poster
You say location as if it’s a minor thing. To me, it is absolutely HUGE. We almost always stay at the Beach Club, and let me tell you, the ability to take a short walk to two different parks is invaluable. The amount of time that you save walking can’t be understated.

In addition to location, the deluxes (certainly the Epcot ones) give you quick access to outstanding restaurants, far better than any you will find at values or moderates.

Then there are the actual rooms. No comparison, IMO, between the rooms at a deluxe versus the lower level resorts, not to mention the spectacular views that you can get only at a deluxe resort.

You definitely pay more for a deluxe, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.
Not at all my point of the post was location is what you’re paying for.

Gojira ゴジラ

So we're going to be staying at Yacht Club in December but this really got me thinking (i.e some of the posts in the International Gateway thread), just what are you getting for the increased cost?

This one is rather unique but certainly it is attached to an increased cost.
The BoardWalk view overseeing the Crescent lake is one of a kind, you won't find it anywhere else within Disney properties.

Dave B

Though I agree with most everything else...this in particular is an illusion.

Same staff from a centralized pool. Absolutely nothing is in place to provide safeguards making the grand Floridian staff better than POP...people just assume that because the scenery is nicer.
That is actually not correct, there is an entirely another level of service at the deluxe, you have the more experienced team members and you definitely can feel the difference

Dave B

Your opinion is your opinion...your observations are as valid as anyone.

However that’s not indicative of staffing...people come down the pipeline and are placed with no rhyme or reason...there are no special qualifications/skills/interviewing for any one site...and no blocks on transfers.

It is what it is.
again, not accurate

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That is actually not correct, there is an entirely another level of service at the deluxe, you have the more experienced team members and you definitely can feel the difference

Since when?

You’re quoting what they say they “like to do”...there are no restrictions.

I’ve been in those trenches. This will not end well. Might want to PM to discuss.

OneofThree

I don't have any inside information on this, but it's difficult to believe that Disney would locate all of their top personnel at the deluxe resorts. If you truly understand human resources, there is no upside for the company. What I do believe, is that their best managers may get positions at the deluxe resorts. These individuals are generally the sort of leaders whose acumen influences attitude and service from top to bottom.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't have any inside information on this, but it's difficult to believe that Disney would locate all of their top personnel at the deluxe resorts. If you truly understand human resources, there is no upside for the company. What I do believe, is that their best managers may get positions at the deluxe resorts. These individuals are generally the sort of leaders whose acumen influences attitude and service from top to bottom.

They don’t...in fact, the better personal is more suited to the high turn/volume sites. The moderates - to be frank - is where you get the most yield. 2000 rooms needs more expertise than 600 to operate at Near capacity 365 days a year.

People have illusions...this is one of them.

Besides the fact that there is no restrictions on transfers provided terms of service are met and no separate qualifications or hiring makes the contention that the “best” people go somewhere mathematically impossible.

I wish I could back you up about the managers...but sadly that’s not the case either. Perhaps the best general managers get placed at the right spots...but the trickle down to the mid and lower levels end up being personal favorites and/or demographic representation hired based on need or preferences at a given moment. Turnover is significant even in management - disney is notorious for paying below industry standards for non-hourlies - so a strategic team isn’t really possible.

Last edited:

Dog Ate Mouse

our favorite resort is POR. We have stayed at the Wilderness lodge and loved it. For us our next trip is 2019 and will stay at The Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our last trip was 2016 and we are ready for a pampering 10 day trip. For me it is not about location bu the whole Walt Disney World experience. The Mrs. and I are in our 50's and love the spoiling every now and then. I love the laid back feeling and the total theme experience that really gets us into the Magic. So this next planned trip is all about the comfort and fun and laid back feeling. Next trip after that in 2020 will be back in POR. Had a lot to do and deal with for the past two years and we are so ready to be back home.

Sincerely
Dog Ate Mouse

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom