Deluxe dining plan opinions?

Jess G

Original Poster
Thinking of upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. I know it's a lot of food but we really want to use it for starting our day with a breakfast buffet or character meal and then sitting at a signature for dinner.
Hubby thinks I'm crazy but hear me out! - We've never experienced this dining plan, it would be a splurge for a trip we are already splurging on lol. We are always on the regular ddp so we never sit down at 2 credit places that we want to try. Considering prices are just going up and up, who knows how pricey the 2019 plan will be, and considering the new alcohol included thing, I have a strong feeling that they are going to make restrictions on certain things after this first experimental year. At many signature restaurants they have fine wine and cocktails up to $18 a glass. That would make this plan that much more worth it.

Opinions please :)

Weather_Lady

I recommend that you run the restaurants you want through the distripplanner.com calculator and see if the deluxe plan is going to save you any money. If it isn't, don't waste your money on it. Signature (2-credit) restaurants and breakfasts are rarely a good value on any of the dining plans, and you may find that you'd pay less out-of-pocket for the same places. (We avoid the DDP and find that even WITH a few meals at more-expensive signature restaurants AND more TS meals in general than the DDP would cover, we pay less out of pocket than if we'd used any dining plan, regular or deluxe.)

Last edited:

DisAl

When we went for our 40th anniversary we did the deluxe plan. We just did a snack of some sort for breakfast, a table service for lunch, and a signature every night. When we go with the whole family we do the DDP with one QS and one TS.
If you do three full service meals per day you will probably feel like Jabba the Hutt by the time you get back to your room at the end of the day. One other thing to consider is you will be spending a LOT of time in restaurants if you do the deluxe plan, so consider the patience level of your kids if they are going.
Bottom line is if you want to do a lot of character meals or several fine dining or two credit shows (like the Luau at Poly) the deluxe plan can work, and as Weather_Lady said take a close look at the restaurant menus and see what makes sense.

hoffman1

We have done the deluxe plan several times. We really enjoy the signature restaurants, character buffets, and the dinner shows.
I know it might be a little cheaper if we paid for everything out of pocket but we really like having the convenience of everything paid for in advance.

Dave B

That's what is funny, it is NOT cheaper to pay out of pocket when you add up the cost of everything, I agree that the time in the restaurants will build up, but they are great experiences, we are going in Nov and the cost of food, and snacks is close to $2000, huge savings for us, and yes its free, or included in our stay at the Yacht club, plus I go on now and try our same stay and the room and tickets is more than the package with DDP and park hopper, never understood how people say it is so expensive, maybe for one or two people I guess, but still it doesn't make sense to me

Thinking of upgrading to the deluxe dining plan. I know it's a lot of food but we really want to use it for starting our day with a breakfast buffet or character meal and then sitting at a signature for dinner.
Hubby thinks I'm crazy but hear me out! - We've never experienced this dining plan, it would be a splurge for a trip we are already splurging on lol. We are always on the regular ddp so we never sit down at 2 credit places that we want to try. Considering prices are just going up and up, who knows how pricey the 2019 plan will be, and considering the new alcohol included thing, I have a strong feeling that they are going to make restrictions on certain things after this first experimental year. At many signature restaurants they have fine wine and cocktails up to $18 a glass. That would make this plan that much more worth it.

My family always get the deluxe dining plan. We always have a character or other breakfast in the morning and a seat down for dinner. Many of our sit downs call for two credits....California Grille.....Jiko;s ...Yachtman's ....Tiffin's.....etc. so it works best for us and we do save money. We love it! We don't have to worry about anything but alcohol. I know the new dining plan also includes some alcohol. It really depends on how and where you dine. Have fun!

Weather_Lady

That's what is funny, it is NOT cheaper to pay out of pocket when you add up the cost of everything, I agree that the time in the restaurants will build up, but they are great experiences, we are going in Nov and the cost of food, ***** and snacks is close to $2000, huge savings for us, and yes its free, or included in our stay at the Yacht club, plus I go on now and try our same stay and the room and tickets is more than the package with DDP and park hopper, never understood how people say it is so expensive, maybe for one or two people I guess, but still it doesn't make sense to me

If it's "free," as you say (I assume you mean a "free" dining promotion), then yes, of course, you will likely save money by having a dining plan, even if you have to forego other discounts. My comments weren't directed towards those on a free dining promotion, but toward those paying the full rate to purchase or upgrade a dining plan. In their case, whether they save money all depends on their party (numbers and ages), and dining preferences. Some will save: many won't. My family saves 15-20% by paying out of pocket, even with signatures and extra TS in the mix, because the dining plan is so out of whack with what/how/where we eat (especially with a child who just turned the "Disney adult" age of 10), but of course not everybody will. :)

But what I really came here to talk about was the "*****" in your post -- what are you buying and eating in WDW that is so scandalous, so terrible, so patently offensive that is has to be censored online??? I must know! ;):eek:o_O:joyfull:

Last edited:

Courtney6682

I'm generally opposed to the Deluxe dining plan because of the ammt of time ''wasted'' at tables....6+ hours or so! But, I like your way of thinking...one regular TS meal and one signature...I've never thought of that! I'd say go for it!!

Dave B

If it's "free," as you say (I assume you mean a "free" dining promotion), then yes, of course, you will likely save money by having a dining plan, even if you have to forego other discounts. My comments weren't directed towards those on a free dining promotion, but toward those paying the full rate to purchase or upgrade a dining plan. In their case, whether they save money all depends on their party (numbers and ages), and dining preferences. Some will save: many won't. My family saves 15-20% by paying out of pocket, even with signatures and extra TS in the mix, because the dining plan is so out of whack with what/how/where we eat (especially with a child who just turned the "Disney adult" age of 10), but of course not everybody will. :)

But what I really came here to talk about was the "*****" in your post -- what are you buying and eating in WDW that is so scandalous, so terrible, so patently offensive that is has to be censored online??? I must know! ;):eek:o_O:joyfull:
How funny, I didn't even see that,***** refers to the work, ready......... drinks, so scandalous :)

jaklgreen

What it comes down to is that it is a LOT of food and a lot of time spent at a restaurant. If you are happy with spending the time, money, and stomach space then go ahead and enjoy. But I would still go look at the menus and price things out. That way you can see if it is worth the price for what you will be eating. If it is about break even then I would personally just pay out of pocket. That way if you or your hubby get sick of spending so much time eating during your trip then you can easily just cancel some reservations and not be out anything.

djpoore94

DH & I just used the calculator on distripplanner.com last night and the only way we could work it out to use the deluxe plan and save money was to do a character meal almost every morning and a signature meal every night, just like you suggest. The savings would have been a "whopping" $62.00 over paying out of pocket! For us that is not worth it since we rarely do buffets anymore and often share meals. We couldn't come up with any scenario where the standard plan saves us any money!

Dave B

And that is where I say the Free Dining promotion is a great deal, I would never pay out of pocket though, better off buying gift cards from Target and getting he 5% discount every time you buy a gift card, they add up, then have the gift card as the card you use to pay for your meals

Jess G

Original Poster
Ok guys I will run numbers with you ... also, we always order the steak, lamb or seafood which obviously is usually the most expensive item on the menu .I also probably should have mentioned as far as the "taking time away from the parks" thing goes, that is no concern to us ... we go so frequently now that we are ok with missing some things sometimes.

Mock 5 night deluxe dining plan @ $116 a day per person/$580 total..,. (15 credits total)

Day 1 lunch: Boathouse lunch - Fish dip & chips appetizer $13, New England lobster roll entree $30, Whiskey caramel cornbread cake $10, featured wine Cakebread suav blanc $16 = $69 (2 credits)
Day 2 dinner: Jiko Dinner - Manti dumplings appetizer $17, Malay seafood curry entree $47, strawberry shortcake $11, featured wine rudi schultz syrah $14 = $89 (2 credits)
Day 1 total: $158 (11 credits remaining)

Day 2 Breakfast/brunch:
Boma buffet $26, Mimosa $9 = $35 (1 credit)
Day 2 dinner: California grill - Sonoma goat cheese ravioli appetizer $15, Beef filet entree $49, Fritters dessert $13, Passion fruit margarita $11 = $88 (2 credits)
Day 2 total: $123 (8 credits remaining)

Day 3 QS lunch:
Pandora QS lunch - Slow roasted beef bowl entree $13, sangria $9.50 use snack credit for blueberry cheese mousse $5.50 = $28(1 credit)
Day 3 dinner: Tiffins dinner - Apple walnut salad appetizer $12, smoked brisket entree $53, Lime cheesecake dessert $10, wine $11 = $86 (2 credits)
Day 3 total: $114 (5 credits remaining)

Day 4 breakfast:
Garden Grill all you care to enjoy character breakfast $35, mimosa $9 = $44 (1 credit)
Day 4 dinner: Le cellier - cheddar soup appetizer $11, filet mignon entree $54, creme brûlée $9, featured wine $16 = $90 (2 credits)
Day 4 total: $134 (2 credits remaining)

Day 5 lunch:
Sanaa - bread service appetizer $13, Potjie inspired entree $26, spice trade candy bar dessert $8, Mojito $11 = $58 (1 credit)
Day 5 dinner: Cape may cafe buffet $48, wine $12 = $60 (1 credit)
Day 5 total: $118 (finished credits)

TOTAL OF $647 -
add $18 for refillable mug, add $45 for the 9 remaining snacks valued at $5 each (most of which will go to starbucks and rice krispies for the house)

$710 - savings of $130 total

DisAl

I don't have the actual numbers but on our week long 40th anniversary trip a couple of years ago we did a full service and a signature every day for our three meal credits on our deluxe plan. I kept all the receipts from every meal and ran the numbers when we got home. We "spent" $1.65 for every dollar we paid. You do have to work to take maximum advantage of the plan but if you plan ahead you can come out ahead.
The flip side of that is that we would have never ordered as much as what the plan covered if it had been out of pocket. I guess you can't really call it savings if you wouldn't normally spend that much, but with the plan you can really go for the best. How often can you go to Narcoossee's and have shrimp and grits for an appetizer, filet AND lobster for the entrée, and one of the best chocolate deserts I have ever had and not even look at the prices. :) I do remember that particular meal because it was the most expensive one of the trip. Had it been out of pocket it would have been $117 each.
For us the fine dining we enjoyed on that particular trip was an important part of the trip and something we don't get to do often.

jaklgreen

Ok guys I will run numbers with you ... also, we always order the steak, lamb or seafood which obviously is usually the most expensive item on the menu .I also probably should have mentioned as far as the "taking time away from the parks" thing goes, that is no concern to us ... we go so frequently now that we are ok with missing some things sometimes.

Mock 5 night deluxe dining plan @ $116 a day per person/$580 total..,. (15 credits total)

Day 1 lunch: Boathouse lunch - Fish dip & chips appetizer $13, New England lobster roll entree $30, Whiskey caramel cornbread cake $10, featured wine Cakebread suav blanc $16 = $69 (2 credits)
Day 2 dinner: Jiko Dinner - Manti dumplings appetizer $17, Malay seafood curry entree $47, strawberry shortcake $11, featured wine rudi schultz syrah $14 = $89 (2 credits)

Day 2 Breakfast/brunch:
Day 2 dinner: California grill - Sonoma goat cheese ravioli appetizer $15, Beef filet entree $49, Fritters dessert $13, Passion fruit margarita $11 = $88 (2 credits)

Day 3 QS lunch:
Pandora QS lunch - Slow roasted beef bowl entree $13, sangria $9.50 use snack credit for blueberry cheese mousse $5.50 = $28(1 credit)
Day 3 dinner: Tiffins dinner - Apple walnut salad appetizer $12, smoked brisket entree $53, Lime cheesecake dessert $10, wine $11 = $86 (2 credits)

Day 4 breakfast:
Garden Grill all you care to enjoy character breakfast $35, mimosa $9 = $44 (1 credit)
Day 4 dinner: Le cellier - cheddar soup appetizer $11, filet mignon entree $54, creme brûlée $9, featured wine $16 = $90 (2 credits)

Day 5 lunch:
Sanaa - bread service appetizer $13, Potjie inspired entree $26, spice trade candy bar dessert $8, Mojito $11 = $58 (1 credit)

TOTAL OF $647 -
add $18 for refillable mug, add $45 for the 9 remaining snacks valued at $5 each (most of which will go to starbucks and rice krispies for the house)

But, ask yourself, would I normally eat this much food if I were not on the dining plan or am I just trying to get the most bang for my buck? Do not forget that you have to tip on these more expensive meals. So if you would not normally eat at all of these places, you would have not only saved the money on the meals but also the tip. I like food, and I love a good higher end meal, so I get it. But that would be way too much food for me and I would feel like all I was doing was eating(not a bad thing really :D). Just something to think about.

21stamps

Day 2 Breakfast/brunch:

Day 3 QS lunch:

Day 4 breakfast:

Day 5 lunch:

TOTAL OF $647 -

Is alcohol included in the Deluxe Dining Plan? If yes- go for it!! If not- I'd second @jaklgreen's comment.. add up the tips as well, and see if the total amount spent between the 2 is "worth" it to you.

Jess G

Original Poster
But, ask yourself, would I normally eat this much food if I were not on the dining plan or am I just trying to get the most bang for my buck? Do not forget that you have to tip on these more expensive meals. So if you would not normally eat at all of these places, you would have not only saved the money on the meals but also the tip. I like food, and I love a good higher end meal, so I get it. But that would be way too much food for me and I would feel like all I was doing was eating(not a bad thing really :D). Just something to think about.

I do enjoy fine dining but I personally probably would not normally order that amount of food, BUT my hubby does. The regular dining plan is usually not enough food for him if we are not at an all you can eat place. He ALWAYS orders an appetizer and 75% of the time ends up ordering an extra side on top of that (crazy right?) Anyway, due to this we usually end up spending another $25 a day on top of what we paid for the standard DDP. So for him he gets the food, and for me, I get to not sit at a buffet every night because I do not like to do that! lol

jaklgreen

I do enjoy fine dining but I personally probably would not normally order that amount of food, BUT my hubby does. The regular dining plan is usually not enough food for him if we are not at an all you can eat place. He ALWAYS orders an appetizer and 75% of the time ends up ordering an extra side on top of that (crazy right?) Anyway, due to this we usually end up spending another $25 a day on top of what we paid for the standard DDP. So for him he gets the food, and for me, I get to not sit at a buffet every night because I do not like to do that! lol

Sounds like a good deal for you guys then. I wish I could put away that amount of food. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom