Deck 13 - Another DL Drop Ride That Never Happened

dweezil78

Original Poster
I know there was some talk about Geyser Mountain in another thread recently and figured this would be of interest to a lot of people here. On this week's Communicore Weekly podcast (one of my faves, give it a listen!) they were doing a look back at Westcot and talked about a Space-themed drop ride called 'Deck 13' that was to be part of the Space pavilion there.

It was a cross between ToT and Alien Encounter. Sounded really cool/scary for a Disney attraction and I was surprised to find that John H-o-r-n-y (lol, it put *s!!!), the Imagineer on the project, actually had concept art on his site for it! Kind of hard to tell what's going on, so read the description first to get a better idea... The design looks a LOT like what was initially proposed for ToT where the the elevator would stop at various sequences along a coaster-like free fall track.

Description here: https://mostlysignssomeportents.tum...4/iemmaspook-above-image-is-one-i-took-at-the

WebDeck13.jpg

Separated at birth???

fe854dca1a761391c1b12a55bd644bf3.jpg

Phroobar

Gyser Mountain seems similar too. Why not really modify the TOT and build Deck 13 instead? It would be a better fit that way for GOTG.

dweezil78

Original Poster
Gyser Mountain seems similar too. Why not really modify the TOT and build Deck 13 instead? It would be a better fit that way for GOTG.

While I would love (and much prefer) to see this thing become a reality, I have a feeling Guardians of the Galaxy is just a little more marketable and buzzworthy to park-goers in 2017. :p

Phroobar

While I would love (and much prefer) to see this thing become a reality, I have a feeling Guardians of the Galaxy is just a little more marketable and buzzworthy to park-goers in 2017. :p
I can see Deck 13 with the GOTG characters. There are lots of good alien bad guys for the ride. The Guardians can save you.

SuddenStorm

If they were to rip down the current tower and build this themed as Guardians of the Galaxy, I think that'd be a lot better than just reskinning the current ride.

dweezil78

Original Poster
I can see Deck 13 with the GOTG characters. There are lots of good alien bad guys for the ride. The Guardians can save you.

If they were to rip down the current tower and build this themed as Guardians of the Galaxy, I think that'd be a lot better than just reskinning the current ride.

Being Mr. Realist here (sorry sorry!), if they were to rebuild ToT to an all-new attraction to fit the Guardians theme, it'd be pretty silly for them to go with a similar drop-style attraction. At that point, wouldn't you just prefer them to come up with an all-new concept?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom