Decided to book California Grill o_O?!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I've heard all sorts of things about it, and decided to cancel my reservation at The Wave in late March. I and my party are staying at BLT and decided....why not....have an early dinner at California Grill.

I don't have an issue with the prices or the dress code, but based on mixed reviews...we're having a 5:30 reservation...can we expect it to be crazy noisy full of kids coming to our table showing us all the crap they bought in the park earlier in the day...or should it be more relaxed since it won't be during the fireworks? :eek::lookaroun:lol:

mickey2008.1

You have made a wise choice to go there. As for kids, they really dont exist because kids wont eat that kind of food and parents wont waste money or dining credits for them to eat chicken tenders, they would rather do a dinner show. I would book during the fireworks. We have been there for the fireworks during Christmas, and never had a problem with kids. But you are not guaranteed a seat with a view. if you want to see the fireworks, arrive an hour to an hour and a half earlier, as it will definitely take you that long to eat your meal. Its all about the food and atmosphere there, not just gettin you in and out.

perry23

I would suggest to make a reservation for a time that enables you to finish your dining before the fireworks starts because then you can go out and watch it from a walkway outside the restaurant which is in my opinion even better than looking through windows. It is an even greater experience without glass between you and and the show.

But no matter which time you choose you will have a great evening!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
The reason why we're eating earlier is because Wishes won't go off that night until 10pm. Since we're staying at BLT, we'll watch it from there, but if you can also bring the receipt from your dinner and can go back to see the fireworks from the observation deck later that night.

perry23

Yeah you're right. I just wanted to say that it is nice to end the meal with the fireworks but coming back later is almost the same. And the way from BLT to the Cali Grill is not that long, that's true.:lol:

MillerPoppins

I can't agree with some of the statements of their being no kids. There were a LOT of kids in there when I was, but it was later. We had a 7:55pm ADR. I think you will be fine at that time. I think a lot of folks will be still in "park mode" and not in there. Plus I don't think that 5:30p is that far from when they open so it shouldn't be overly crowded. Have fun, the food is AMAZING!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hi, MillerPoppins, thanks to your review of CG in your Foodie trip report, I decided to book there to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary! (called on the spur of the moment yesterday and was able to get a long weekend in a Bay Lake Tower studio)

After your photo and description of the Goat Cheese Ravioli, I had to have it!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's a great choice - enjoy!

The kids in the dining room is complete luck of the draw. I've had different experiences - keep your fingers crossed!

MillerPoppins

Hi, MillerPoppins, thanks to your review of CG in your Foodie trip report, I decided to book there to celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary! (called on the spur of the moment yesterday and was able to get a long weekend in a Bay Lake Tower studio)

After your photo and description of the Goat Cheese Ravioli, I had to have it!

Aww thank you! We were both so impressed with the entire experience. Tim insists that it's going to be a "must do" for every visit. You should ask for the private dining room if possible! It was really special, a lot more quiet and perfect for special occasions. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
does it cost alot more from the private dining room because we're taking my grandparents to CG for their wedding anniversary

MillerPoppins

does it cost alot more from the private dining room because we're taking my grandparents to CG for their wedding anniversary

No extra charge for the private dining room. Or so I think??? To be honest, by the time the bill came, we had downed a bottle of champagne and a bottle of red wine so my concern about the bill wasn't really there...:lookaroun.

heartodisney

We hope to be able to do this on the next trip this fall, I have always wanted to do this and we will try for our first night, there have been some VERY good insights from you all, thanks guys!

Bolna

I think 5:30 is a great time for California Grill because you get to experience it during daylight. It opens at 5:30, but you can go up to the lounge at 5 pm if you want to have a drink before dinner.

The restaurant will fill gradually, so it will get noisier during your dinner, but hopefully you will be finished before it starts getting on your nerves. ;)

I think the "private dining room" the other poster meant might be the "Wine Room" which is a room at the South-East end of the restaurant. I think it has about 4 tables, so it is a much quieter atmosphere than the main dining room. I think there are also some seperate function rooms, but these are only available for special events.

worldfanatic

I think the "private dining room" the other poster meant might be the "Wine Room" which is a room at the South-East end of the restaurant. I think it has about 4 tables, so it is a much quieter atmosphere than the main dining room.

I love, love, love eating in the Wine Room. But as stated, it's so small, it hard to get a spot in there every time.
Fortunately, most people think the main room is a better option because of it's view of the MK fireworks.

Personally, I'll take the quiet atmosphere of the Wine Room with its distant view of Epcot's Illuminations every time.

WDWFigment

Personally, while we love the food at California Grill, we've found it to be overpriced. Go as late as possible to (hopefully) avoid the obnoxious kids.

I've done reviews of both The Wave and Cali Grill -

CG - http://www.disneytouristblog.com/featured-post/disney-contemporary-california-grill-dining-review/

The Wave - http://www.disneytouristblog.com/featured-post/the-wave-restaurant-review-disney-contemporary/

All things considered, I'd choose The Wave unless money is no issue. If money is no issue, head to Victoria & Albert's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom