December Weather

SwistakFam

Original Poster
Hi everyone!! Does anyone know what the weather is like around Christmas at DW? We will be there Dec 18th - 26th. I live in NC and it is chilly here now. I could start packing warm weather clothing for the kids now (maybe its too early, but hey I'm excited). TIA for any help.

happymom52003

The two times we have been in December we had a mix of temps. We had days where it was warm enough for shorts and tshirts, and days where we froze...all in the same week. Most nights were cool or cold, however I remember one MVMCP where we were in short sleeves and it was warm....not even cool. The best thing to do is pack clothes you can layer. Check out the forecast a couple of days before you go and then you can adjust your packing if needed. Southern states have very unpredictable weather! I live in Texas and on Monday we had our ac running and were sweating outside, and then yesterday we had the heat on and wore coats all day. I am sure we will have our ac back on within a day or two...then the heat again next week. It is crazy!

NedFlanders

I would say it will likely be on the warm side. The only time we've ever felt cold down there in December was when it rained on us... and it still rains in December with the instant monsoons that seem to pop up randomly like weeds in a perfect lawn.

Our first trip we assumed it would be cold and packed lots of long sleeve shirts, that was a major mistake. I would say pack yourself short sleeve shirts and jeans... then take lightweight jackets for the times when it is cooler than you like. And don't forget the ponchos, it can make a mild evening downright cold when you get wet.

RonAnnArbor

I go every year in December and the weather varies widely. Bring a variety of clothes, and be prepared to layer, especially early mornings and late evenings.

Last year, the week I was there (always the week before Christmas) the days were in the low 80's the nights in the high 50's. SHorts, flip flops during the day -- but fleece jackets and jeans at night.

The year before, it never got warmer than mid-60's during the day and high 40's (!) at night. That was a sweatshirt and jeans week the entire week.

Just watch the weather the week before your trip, and plan accordingly.

(Incidentally, I LOVE WDW when it is in the mid-60's rather than hot and sunny. It's the most comfortable weather. Put on a light sweatshirt and go. No sun block, no sweating, no worries).

DecWDW

The first year I went, I packed for cold weather and ended up buying tee shirts for the whole week. I know better now and agree with what the others have said. Nothing too heavy, but that can be layered.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I would plan to pack everything from bathing suits and shorts to coats and gloves. I've found the past few Decembers that you can encounter many different types of weather and temperatures all in the same day. I'm going again the first week in December this year and I'm already trying to figure out what to bring. Also, I usually find myself wearing a jacket in the morning, peeling it off late-morning, stashing it in a locker, and then putting it back on around sunset. Last year was unpleasantly cold (barely got into the 50s most days) and I refuse to shiver my way through another trip. I'm packing gloves and a hat this year just in case. I'm from NJ so I'm used to being cold, but when I'm home I don't make a point of standing around outside all day and night. 50 degrees feels fine if you are just running from the house to the car, but after 4 or 5 hours it starts to get unpleasant.

The Mom

Premium Member
Layer, layer, layer.

I do remember a Christmas when it was in the teens at WDW - even my SIL from Chicago was cold. Other times, it has been shorts and t-shirt weather.

But once the sun goes down, it is always cooler, and long pants, a sweatshirt, and even more will be needed.

If you're from a colder climate, you will probably want to bring a bathing suit - and something warm to wrap up in once you get out of the heated pool.

HouCuseChickie

The weather can really be all over the place. Back when I lived in FL, we could have mornings in the 30s or 40s and afternoons in the 70s. Then you get years like last year where it was abnormally cold. You can also get years where it's abnormally warm. I live in TX now, but my parents and brother/SIL still live in FL and we have all been on the warm and dry side so far this fall. We cooled off yesterday, but prior to that we had highs in the 80s...in mid Nov! Forecasters say to expect a warmer and dryer than avg winter for all of the gulf bordering states, but you never know. So, layer and pack bits of everything. We're going shortly before you and I'm planning everything from t-shirts and light long sleeved tops to sweaters, moderate jackets and rain gear.

olympia

December can be hit and miss here in Florida, so I would definitely prepare for anything. It's been very hot all summer and fall so far (with only a few cold days a couple weeks ago). But just to be safe, I would pack some warmer clothes, especially for the nights when it tends to get colder.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We r checking in on the 5th. Is it warm enough to swim during the day?

The pools in Disney are heated so being in the water is fine. It's the getting out part that isn't fun. I rarely even pack a bathing suit in December for this reason. If you have a big fuzzy bathrobe or some big fluffy towels at home you should bring those. Also, if its any colder than the mid 70s prepare to run back to your room and take a warm shower right away.

GO REBS

We will be at WDW the same week. Living in Houston i pretty much plan on the same weather as home. Cool morning, warm afternoon, cool evening.
Which for me would be jeans or cargo shorts with tshirt and a sweatshirt. Pretty much can cover the week.

GO REBS

kverdon

We are down in WDW right now and the temperature over the last 10 days has been all over the place. We have had temps from 36 to 86. For most of the time its been darn chilly in the morning or eves. We seen temps in the high 30's to low 40's for early openings and temps in the low 40's in the eves. We've been to WDW in Dec before so knew to bring some layers but never have we seen it this cool for so long. Before its just been a day or 2 but as things look its going to be 10 of the 14 days of our trip with temps barely breaking 60. As everyone has said LAYERS are your friend (along with a trip to Walmart for Long Johns :). The walk about the World Showcase Lagoon can be very long if you are not prepared. The weather has not messed us up too much outside of making us reconsider early openings (you may not need them with these temps!) and the enjoyment of our evening stroll about the World Showcase. I'm not sure but I do think I like it better on the cool side than the hot / humid side.

take care,

Kevin and Mona

nicumom

We're leaving on Saturday and will be there all of next week with it being COLD. The thing that bothers me about layers - is carrying them around when you aren't wearing them - as if the backpack doesn't get heavy enough :p

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We're leaving on Saturday and will be there all of next week with it being COLD. The thing that bothers me about layers - is carrying them around when you aren't wearing them - as if the backpack doesn't get heavy enough :p

Lockers are your friend. $12 for the locker but you get $5 back when you return the key. Worth every penny if it means I don't have to haul my jacket around once I take it off.

The Mighty Tim

For what it's worth, I went over New Year 2008. The December temperatures were the among the highest they'd ever had in Florida for that time of year (about 28C/84F). Once January came along, they recorded some of the lowest temperatures in Florida for that time of year (about 9C/48F).

Talk about changeable!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom