December crowd levels - conflicting info

Bill in Atlanta

We are headed to WDW from Dec 17-21.

Undercover Tourist has the crowd levels at 6,6,5,4,6 for those days.
Touring Plans has them at 8,10,10,10,10.

That's a pretty huge difference! Which of these two sites is typically more accurate? Anyone else have a good feel for the crowd levels on those dates?

EvilQueen-T

I think where things might get muddled is that with the change to the tier system for ticket pricing (including how passholder tickets are tiered now) the old normals for what was busy time vs less busy has really changed. On top of that over the years disney has become really good at getting people into the parks at times that we use to call off season. There really isn't a slow time anymore imo. There's busy and insane. At least when things are busier the parks seem to keep longer hours so at least that's something. When I've been there I'd have to agree with touring plans because it's been pretty darn busy but not sure how the tier thing will affect that this year. I read an article yesterday talking about how the old slow season is now becoming the busier season.

Upvote 0

Jess G

I've encountered the same issue with my trip next week (11/7-11/20) it felt like every crowd calendar I' opened was different.. its all just a "prediction" based on "history" anyway... expect it to be busy but honestly a level 7 crowd to me is probably equally as overwhelming as a 9 and as long as you've planned your fast passes and your time correctly it shouldn't be an issue... I usually travel october/november but last year I went smack in the middle of spring break and while I noticed it was busier then when I'm used to I found that I wasn't able to accomplish either any more or less due to crowds

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Its hard to predict with XMas being on the Sunday of the following weekend. Much will depend on when a majority of schools let out. I would expect most being out on 12/21. Parents won't care about pulling kids out of school for 2 days to make the 9-10 trip over XMas. If I had to guess you are going to see crowd levels of 8-9 your whole trip. The 10s will start shortly after you leave.

Another thing is to look at the park hours. They are open fairly late most of that time which tends to say they have a large number of reservations. However, you can see how the hours change drastically on 12/23 through New Year's.

Upvote 0

Dory71

I am actually surprised that the latest Magic Kingdom is open that week is 10pm. I expect crowds but thought the park would be open until midnight at least.

Upvote 0

meganwdw

We're heading down the 14th-21st and have never been that time of year!! I'm expecting larger crowds and plan on taking our time, doing our favorite attractions, and just enjoying all the fun holiday stuff! Getting to the parks early and leaving in the middle of the day will be key to avoiding a lot of the crowds and keeping in mind the suggested parks for the day based on touring plans recommendations. Fingers crossed for good weather and that the crowd Gods will be on our side that week!!!!!

Upvote 0

Disney.Mike

Agreed, very crowded starting Saturday December 17th, as thats the first day most of the country is out of school. We find the prior week to be fairly light, then it picks up to high levels almost overnight

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Between thanksgiving and Christmas isn't as less crowded it used to be. Not sure why but it's true. We went thecweek after thanksgiving last year and it was more crowded than previous years. We figured it was bc it was the last year of the osbourbe lights. But come to find out it was also the last week it wasn't blacked out for Florida redefine I guess. So we are going next December and are planning on going that 1st week it's blacked out for residence. You might have better luck traveling then rather then right before Christmas.

Upvote 0

Rubicon99

Hi @TXDisney - I'm curious about these black out dates. I'll be in Orlando from Dec 3rd to 17th and will only have a chance to spend one day at Magic Kingdom. Would the week starting Mon 5th or 12th be better in terms potentially smaller crowds? Mon 5th is appealing as it's open until 11pm. Wed 7th is as well but Splash Mountain is scheduled to be closed and that's my kid's fave ride.

Many thanks

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom