Debbie does Disney!

We got back last evening from our 40th, all-girls, birthday celebration. The entire time we were in the World; my headaches went away, never once experienced backache, and we ate like queens! My party consisted of Joan, my stepmom, age 62, and Mary (4'9), who works with me cleaning apartments, and who celebrates her 40th on January 11. I make 40 on January 22. Joan and Mary had never been to WDW and boy, were they amazed at what they had been missing. Several times, Mary said she had to pinch herself because she couldn't believe she was actually at WDW.

Day 1: This was our travel day as we chose to drive given the recent events surrounding my husband's health issues and Mary's mother's health issues. So, this day didn't seem like it was going to be a reality until we packed Tuesday night. We got on the Interstate around 7am and decided we would take our time getting there and shot for a 12 hour ride. We stopped at the WDW Welcome Center around 4:30 and walked around and I bought my annual pass (which started that day:( ) and made reservations for the Hoop De Doo and Candlelight Processional.
Got into WDW around 7pm and checked into Port Orleans Riverside (never asked to see my pass at check-in) We really liked the place and I would definitely stay there again. Hopped a bus to Downtown Disney and ate at the Rainforest Cafe'. We really enjoyed it and J&M were amazed at the sights. Part II comes later; I gotta get ready for work!

Debbie

Original Poster
Day II: We headed out to Epcot and got to see everything I wanted the girls to see with exception to the Land; which was experiencing 'technical difficulties'. We did the Candlelight Processional dinner package. The bottom tier packages were sold out (Germany, Land, and Norway), so we chose Mexico. Dinner was delicious, and we walked around until 45 minutes before our 8:15 show. The line for the 'dinner package folks' was already almost past Japan! David Ogden Stiers was the narrator and he certainly appeared to enjoy himself. The show was definitely a 'must see'; we really liked it. After, we caught Illuminations around Canada. Mary and Joan were really impressed with Epcot. Got to POR at 10:30pm

Day III: Took the girls to the Beltz malls and I found the new one on 535. The new outlet actually had better/ more merchandise that we were interested in, and they actually had weekend sales. I bought a maroon fleece shirt with Pooh's profile applicait (sp?) on the front for $8.99. It's what I'm wearing Christmas Eve. Went to the Wal-Mart on 192; it's still a madhouse! My great find at Wal-Mart: FLUFF! I bought three big containers because it is not sold down here. Next time I go; I will probably buy a case. I wanted to go because I was trying to find some merchandise that isn't available around here anymore. I also found Maple Creme Lil' Debbies and Minute Maid Limeade which isn't sold here. I was actually looking for Howard Johnson Blueberry Toasties for my little boy. It's his favorite for breakfast and all of the grocers around here quit carrying it. After we got out of that zoo; we went and checked in the Wilderness Lodge (no annual pass requested at check in again) and had to run, literally, to the boat to go to Fort Wilderness to catch the HoopDeDoo. All of the actors were new to me but alot of the wait staff were still there. One waiter named Dallas would come and sit and talk with me while the show was going on, and he filled me in on what happened to some of the regulars I remembered. He brought me to the wall where their pictures hung, and told me where they were now. I was disappointed with the ribs and the sauce they use now, but Mary and Joan loved everything about it. I told them I will cook them the old recipe/ ribs one day so they can see what I was talking about.
After the show; we took the boat to the Contemporary and viewed the decorations there and took the monorail to see the Poly and Grand Floridian. IMO, the Grand Floridian had the prettiest deco, but we all agreed the Poly is the place to stay next time. We watched the Electical Water Pageant at the Grand Floridian and then headed back to the Wilderness Lodge. Our room was OK, about the same size as the one at POR. We had a balcony on the sixth floor, so I had to be careful as to not drop my cell phone, otherwise it would have slid down the roof. Off to bed at 1am! Day 4 and 5 tomarrow!

tiggerlover1971

Debbie I wish I could mail the toastees to you somehow as well as fluff maybe when I am passing through to Lake charles when we go I can bring the stuff to you

Debbie

Original Poster
HI Cheryl! Thanks for the offer; but I wonder if HJ Blueberry Toasties are even being made anymore:( .

Day 4: Magic Kingdom day! All was well through Adventureland, and Frontierland, until we hit Fantasyland. We turned the corner to hit IASW, and bam; a wall of people and strollers. It reminded us of Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras Day. So we made our way to Toontown and walked right in to take a pic with Mickey. Then we went to Tomarrowland and were able to catch COP and TTA. That was it.......Tomarrowland was mobbed also. So we went back to our room to put on long pants and shirts. We ate at Whispering Canyon then headed back, to catch some rides while the fireworks were going. Wrong! Nothing was moving during that show. So we only to catch Pooh's ride and go find a spot for the 10pm parade. Mary and Joan loved Spectromagic.

Day 5: It was storming when we got up and Joan decided to hang around the hotel while we went to MGM. We walked right on Lil' Mermaid, Great Movie Ride, and WWTBAM. Mary also got to see Muppets 3D. It stopped raining and Joan met up with us by chance. We ate at 50's Prime Time and headed to Magic Kingdom so Mary could ride Peter Pan. This was around 5pm. I stayed in Town Square because my ankles could take no more. M&J were able to walk on Peter Pan, Snow White, and Mickey's Philharmagic. Then we headed to EPCOT, so Mary could get her granddaughter an Ariel sweatshirt that we only saw in MouseGears. Then it was off to our room, to get ready to go home:(

Debbie

Original Poster
The nicest things about our trip were:
Port Orleans Riverside--very nice
Rainforest Cafe @Downtown Disney
Seeing Joan's and Mary's faces when they experienced WDW for the first time
5 minute wait times at Epcot (even Test Track)

My only disappointment was our room at the Wilderness Lodge and seeing trays in the halls from the night before still in the halls the next morning. I wish I would have had more time to experience the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom