Death at Icon Park accident

Gringrinngghost

- Referral of case details to Orange Co. Sheriff’s Office for potential criminal investigation.
- Permanent Revocation of the operating license
- Department of Agriculture filed an administrative complaint seeking at least $250,000 in fines from the operator of the Orlando FreeFall
- Minimal training conducted as a training manual did not exist.
- Attendants or Operator had not seen or read the manual from the manufacture.
- No operating documents were provided to Attendants or Operator.
- Attendants or Operators were told that Seats 1 and 2 were explicitly for larger guests

natatomic

Man, this is a lot to go through. I’m trying to skim, but it’s still sooo many pages. So far in my readings, a George and an Austin look to be responsible, but they both invoked the 5th amendment.

It’s sad really. You spend all this time imagining typical evil villains behind horrible decisions like this. But then you read their words, and it hits you that they’re still human beings. No matter what happens in court, there won’t be any winners here.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
A lawyer representing Orlando Slingshot says they hope to have the ride fully deconstructed before the anniversary of Tyre Sampson’s death.

"Trevor Arnold, a lawyer representing ride operator Orlando Slingshot, said the company hired amusement business Ride Entertainment to coordinate the Free Fall’s deconstruction. A crane will arrive next week to start taking the Free Fall apart, he said.

“That activity is expected to continue into the following week because of the large size of the ride,” Arnold said in a statement. “We hope to have the ride fully deconstructed before the anniversary of Tyre Sampson’s tragic death, and we will continue to work in that direction and give timeline updates as they are available.”"

Vegas Disney Fan

A lawyer representing Orlando Slingshot says they hope to have the ride fully deconstructed before the anniversary of Tyre Sampson’s death.

"Trevor Arnold, a lawyer representing ride operator Orlando Slingshot, said the company hired amusement business Ride Entertainment to coordinate the Free Fall’s deconstruction. A crane will arrive next week to start taking the Free Fall apart, he said.

“That activity is expected to continue into the following week because of the large size of the ride,” Arnold said in a statement. “We hope to have the ride fully deconstructed before the anniversary of Tyre Sampson’s tragic death, and we will continue to work in that direction and give timeline updates as they are available.”"

Any word on where this is going?

I can’t imagine it’s being scrapped when it’s essentially brand new and worth millions.

Vegas Disney Fan

RIDE THE DEATH RIDE! NOW WITH THE DEATH PART FIXED! (maybe)
it practically sells itself
I think you’d be surprised how many rides you’ve been on at Disney that have resulted in a death, parks don’t advertise it though.

The monorail, Carousel or Progress, Matterhorn, Peoplemover, the Columbia, the rivers of America, Big Thunder, Everest, Primevil Whirl, RnRR, Star tours, TSMM, Splash… that was from a quick google search… all have had accidents that resulted in death. Most have been due to guests misbehaving or preexisting conditions but Big Thunder and the Monorail were due to accidents and maintenance issues.

Wilbret

RIDE THE DEATH RIDE! NOW WITH THE DEATH PART FIXED! (maybe)
it practically sells itself
I think we can all agree that there was more at play here than just the ride.

The owner, operator, manufacturer, and rider all share some blame. Sorry if we all disagree, but it was a series of unfortunate events. Operator was poorly trained, and probably too afraid to tell the kid to get off (I have seen this in person many times). The kid was too big and should have recognized this fact. The owner of the ride should have trained the operator better, had someone on hand to help, or at best had better signage about rules. The manufacturer should have a failsafe that wouldn't allow the ride to even operate, which would save the operator from having to even confront an oversized rider.

I dunno, but as others said... you'd be surprised how many injuries or deaths have occurred on rides that you just don't know about. The most innocuous rides have accidents from time to time. Rides you enjoy today likely were once at another location, and only a few people bother to research the history of it.

Rich Brownn

The owner, operator, manufacturer, and rider all share some blame. Sorry if we all disagree, but it was a series of unfortunate events. Operator was poorly trained, and probably too afraid to tell the kid to get off (I have seen this in person many times). The kid was too big and should have recognized this fact. The owner of the ride should have trained the operator better, had someone on hand to help, or at best had better signage about rules. The manufacturer should have a failsafe that wouldn't allow the ride to even operate, which would save the operator from having to even confront an oversized rider.

I dunno, but as others said... you'd be surprised how many injuries or deaths have occurred on rides that you just don't know about. The most innocuous rides have accidents from time to time. Rides you enjoy today likely were once at another location, and only a few people bother to research the history of it.
When the operator deliberately bypasses the fail safe system built in, there's not much the manufacturer can do about it. In this case, it was deliberately altered to bypass the fail safe (showing the person did not fit in the restraints) by altering the sensor. One could say they could have added seatbelts (which would show the restraint is too far up) but then the operator could simply remove them or add additional length to the belt itself.

Wilbret

When the operator deliberately bypasses the fail safe system built in, there's not much the manufacturer can do about it. In this case, it was deliberately altered to bypass the fail safe (showing the person did not fit in the restraints) by altering the sensor. One could say they could have added seatbelts (which would show the restraint is too far up) but then the operator could simply remove them or add additional length to the belt itself.
Yep, they also found training was lacking or non-existent, nobody really read the manuals, and that the rider was over 100lbs over the limit. Adjusting the sensors was blamed but probably worked on regular oversized guests, just not very large people. I can’t believe there wasn’t a seatbelt.

Too many times I’ve seen too-large-for-the-ride-vehicle people demand the attendant keep trying to buckle them in, when they should just be let off the ride.

lazyboy97o

Yep, they also found training was lacking or non-existent, nobody really read the manuals, and that the rider was over 100lbs over the limit. Adjusting the sensors was blamed but probably worked on regular oversized guests, just not very large people. I can’t believe there wasn’t a seatbelt.

Too many times I’ve seen too-large-for-the-ride-vehicle people demand the attendant keep trying to buckle them in, when they should just be let off the ride.
You are just factually wrong and disgustingly trying to fat shame a kid who was horrifically killed through absolutely no fault of his own.

Rich Brownn

Many drops dont have seatbelts (Dr Doom for example). The only real purpose they serve is to make sure the lap restraint is down far enough (in and of themselves it's unlikely they would not break). But in most rides the default position is closed and it takes hundreds of pounds of pressure to open them. Because the sensor was moved, it locked in an insecure fashion but it was still locked when it came down.

This is the only free standing drop tower with a fatal accident to be demolished. The other 3 are still in operation.

Wilbret

You are just factually wrong and disgustingly trying to fat shame a kid who was horrifically killed through absolutely no fault of his own.
You can choose to be angry or realistic. This kid wasn’t just over the suggested limit, he was +100lbs over. He was offensive lineman big. Nobody ever said fat, except you. Sorry, there are some things that large people can’t do. I’m over 6’ and 240lbs myself. This has nothing to do with fat-shaming, don’t be ridiculous.

If this person was under-height and fell out, I’d place some blame on that person, too.

Wilbret

Many drops dont have seatbelts (Dr Doom for example). The only real purpose they serve is to make sure the lap restraint is down far enough (in and of themselves it's unlikely they would not break). But in most rides the default position is closed and it takes hundreds of pounds of pressure to open them. Because the sensor was moved, it locked in an insecure fashion but it was still locked when it came down.

This is the only free standing drop tower with a fatal accident to be demolished. The other 3 are still in operation.
Is it being demolished, though? More likely just relocated? Can you confirm?

Dr. Doom is more of a launch tower than a drop, in my opinion. The biggest force is upward, pressing you into the seat.

lazyboy97o

You can choose to be angry or realistic. This kid wasn’t just over the suggested limit, he was +100lbs over. He was offensive lineman big. Nobody ever said fat, except you. Sorry, there are some things that large people can’t do. I’m over 6’ and 240lbs myself. This has nothing to do with fat-shaming, don’t be ridiculous.

If this person was under-height and fell out, I’d place some blame on that person, too.
It’s irrelevant. It wasn’t his job to go digging up the original manufacturer’s operating and maintenance manual before riding. He played no role in modifying the ride. He was absolutely, 100% without fault. That you’re using euphemisms doesn’t change the nonsense you’re very clearly peddling.

some other guy

yeah if I'm being a tourist and the technical thingy lights up green then what do I know, the gizmo says go
I wouldn't go on something like this to begin with as I'm not much into thrill rides, but it's absolutely reasonable to assume that if the safety widget reads okay that nobody would question it

just guessing but I think the trial(s) will end up a lot of juggling who gets the blame about the modified bolt or whatever it was

if the part-timer hitting the button for the ride was only told by boss "oh also if Andre the Giant comes by, stick him in this seat, we modified it for huge people" then the part-timer has no blame
if boss said "oh and because we want to kill giant people, stick them in this special death seat" then probably part-timer has a role, but that seems unlikely
wouldn't be surprised if it's a toss-up between a boss or two and whoever actually did the physical bolt modification

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom