Death at Icon Park accident

natatomic

I wonder if we'll ever find out who made the adjustment. I think it can be ruled out that the ride attendants at the scene did anything wrong.

edited for clarity

My guess is that there are at least two people involved. I don’t think any blue collar, maintenance worker would care enough about who can or cannot fit on the ride to make the adjustment of their own volition. And I don’t see any middle management type having the knowledge of how to make the adjustment on their own.

So I theorize that the upper/middle management type wanted the two seats adjusted in order to accommodate larger people - the motivation either being 1. to make more money by allowing more people to ride, 2. to get yelled at less for not having accommodating seats and for being turned away at every ride at ICON, or 3. a genuine, albeit horribly misguided, attempt at checking off that current popular buzzword of “inclusivity.” And since the management guy/gal didn’t know how to makes the adjustment on his/her own, he/she recruited a maintenance worker to do the work - though how they were able to convince a maintenance worker to make such adjustment is beyond me. Either they were really that dumb and bad at their job to go along with it, or they were threatened with losing their job if they didn’t do it.

No idea if I’m anywhere close to being correct. But I agree with you that it was very unlikely a front-line operator. I’d bet $1000 it wasn’t, and I certainly don’t have that kind of money to gamble with.

Last edited:

natatomic

https://www.complex.com/life/tyre-sampson-dad-on-handling-of-orlando-park-ride-deathTyre Sampson’s Dad on Handling of Ride Death: ‘If It Was a European Child, It Would’ve Been Something Different’

Ugh. This man already has one of if not THE most solid cases in recent amusement accidents, yet he still had to bring up race. I knew that specific lawyer would play that card.

As far as the memorial, I don’t know of any “European” who has died at an amusement park and gotten a memorial where they died. The one exception being the little boy killed by an alligator at Disney, but that wasn’t Disney’s fault, and they allowed it because it’s tied to a charity to help others. I don’t know if a memorial in the middle of an amusement park where someone died from gross negligence is something anyone would want to see.

Vegas Disney Fan

https://www.complex.com/life/tyre-sampson-dad-on-handling-of-orlando-park-ride-deathTyre Sampson’s Dad on Handling of Ride Death: ‘If It Was a European Child, It Would’ve Been Something Different’

Ugh. This man already has one of if not THE most solid cases in recent amusement accidents, yet he still had to bring up race. I knew that specific lawyer would play that card.

As far as the memorial, I don’t know of any “European” who has died at an amusement park and gotten a memorial where they died. The one exception being the little boy killed by an alligator at Disney, but that wasn’t Disney’s fault, and they allowed it because it’s tied to a charity to help others. I don’t know if a memorial in the middle of an amusement park where someone died from gross negligence is something anyone would want to see.
Not surprising, this ambulance chaser is famous for only taking a specific type of case, the second his name was attached to this you knew it was going to be spun a certain way.

I don’t understand the desire to tear it down, it won’t bring his son back or even prevent future tragedies, there’s unfortunately been deaths at every amusement park and usually they modify the rides and reopen them. Tearing it down serves no purpose.

He’s going to get tens of millions, if he really wants his sons legacy to live on he should start a scholarship, that will have a much bigger impact than tearing down a ride and putting a plaque in an empty lot in Orlando.

natatomic

Can’t say I’m surprised. Had it been rider error or misbehavior, I’d imagine they would’ve reopened it. But deliberate adjustment of a safety mechanism by….someone (will we EVER find out who?)…I would think people wouldn’t be so keen to ride it after that anytime soon. Especially with Crump as the lawyer for the kid’s family.

Rich Brownn

Can’t say I’m surprised. Had it been rider error or misbehavior, I’d imagine they would’ve reopened it. But deliberate adjustment of a safety mechanism by….someone (will we EVER find out who?)…I would think people wouldn’t be so keen to ride it after that anytime soon. Especially with Crump as the lawyer for the kid’s family.
And yet out of the 5 free standing drop tower accidents (including one where the put a girl in a seat where it had been known the restraint hadn't worked for years and was never used) not one single tower was demolished. Until now. Glad I got to ride it though

natatomic

And yet out of the 5 free standing drop tower accidents (including one where the put a girl in a seat where it had been known the restraint hadn't worked for years and was never used) not one single tower was demolished. Until now. Glad I got to ride it though
Oh I agree. But I think between the fact that the ride was almost brand new (so no long history of a clean record to give the public confidence), combined with today’s social media spreading these kind of stories far and wide as well as a VERY vocal, notorious, and intense lawyer involved…I just didn’t think this ride had any hope of reopening.

Lilofan

Oh I agree. But I think between the fact that the ride was almost brand new (so no long history of a clean record to give the public confidence), combined with today’s social media spreading these kind of stories far and wide as well as a VERY vocal, notorious, and intense lawyer involved…I just didn’t think this ride had any hope of reopening.
Some lawyers yes are notorious in fighting and defending their client and winning on their behalf. Cannot bring their son back but close the ride they did.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

What a waste, hopefully another park bought it and it won’t just end up in a landfill.

I’d have no problem getting on this thing tomorrow, I wouldn’t let them start it if the lapbar wasn’t down though.

lewisc

Closest example was Verruckt water slide at Schlitterbahn KC. A dramatic death. Captured on video. Both cases the rider was blameless. Both cases the ride was never reopened.

Video on youtube makes it harder to reopen a new ride. Dramatic death caused solely due to park negligence

Vegas Disney Fan

I do not expect any other park to buy it. Considering it was modified after installation (as far as we know), the potential purchaser cannot guarantee that anything else on the attraction of modified.

We know they adjusted the restraint gap, something that is still mind boggling, but that’s nothing a qualified maintenance person couldn’t easily adjust back to manufacturer specs.

The whole thing is such a waste.

Whoever approved that modification belongs in jail, the inanimate object seems to be an easier scapegoat though.

Disstevefan1

It's so easy to discuss this after the fact but this adjustment should never be even possible to be done with anyone with a wrench.

Oh boy, they put fixtures in public bathrooms with fasteners with heads that only tighten and cannot be loosened. That adjustment should have had some sort of proprietary head so it could not be adjusted by just anybody, maybe even a spot weld after its adjusted properly.

I am guessing this adjustment was done to accommodate larger folks with no idea what a huge mistake that was!

lewisc

It's so easy to discuss this after the fact but this adjustment should never be even possible to be done with anyone with a wrench.

Oh boy, they put fixtures in public bathrooms with fasteners with heads that only tighten and cannot be loosened. That adjustment should have had some sort of proprietary head so it could not be adjusted by just anybody, maybe even a spot weld after its adjusted properly.
Harbor Freight sells a 100 piece security bit set. The purpose of security screws is to discourage the public. All indication is this was done by an employee who would have access to the tools.

Disstevefan1

Harbor Freight sells a 100 piece security bit set. The purpose of security screws is to discourage the public. All indication is this was done by an employee who would have access to the tools.
I get you, there are bit sets, but if I remember correctly, this was a standard allen key head.
In any event, this adjustment shouldn't have been so easy to make by anyone.

Vegas Disney Fan

I am guessing this adjustment was done to accommodate larger folks with no idea what a huge mistake that was!

Maintenance has to be able to take stuff apart to fix it though, the manufacturers have no choice but to trust that the “maintenance professionals” are actually professionals who follow their safety guidelines.

There’s really no way to stupid proof something against a determined person with tools. Locks can be cut, welds can be cut, sensors can be bypassed…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom