DCL Motorcoach vs Lyft?

Greenkai3000

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

We booked both our cruise and WDW vacation packed through Costco. Apparently we have to call them directly to have them arrange bus tankers to and from port (?) It seems odd that Disney wouldn’t just give us the option to book answers on line, even after linking our reservations to the apps.

My question is, is taking Lyft instead realistic? The DCL motorcoach is $35+/— pp each way, so it’d be $140+/ for 4 of us. Each way. That’s $280 rt. Whereas a Lyft ride seems to be around $100 each way. Has anyone done this?

ChuckElias

I have a client who opted for an Uber from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Port Canaveral. He said it was definitely less expensive and they didn't have to wait for the bus's schedule. So I know that it has been done, although @JaxFLBear 's concern is definitely legitimate.

ChuckElias

We did a 1-day car rental. Picked up the car from the Disney Car Care Center, drove to Port Canaveral, dropped it off and rode the free shuttle bus from the rental car place to the port. It was easy and cheap.
I've done this as well, although we picked up the car at Orlando Airport. The downside of this solution is that you have to get the shuttle bus from the rental place and it isn't always ready to leave when you are and it probably makes multiple stops before getting you to the port. But the cost is usually a lot better than the Disney shuttle or an Uber.

aliceismad

I've done this as well, although we picked up the car at Orlando Airport. The downside of this solution is that you have to get the shuttle bus from the rental place and it isn't always ready to leave when you are and it probably makes multiple stops before getting you to the port. But the cost is usually a lot better than the Disney shuttle or an Uber.
It was definitely more time consuming; however, we were able to have the car for 24 hours, so that allowed us some flexibility, which was nice. Disney Car Care Center was easy; they sent a shuttle to pick us up and take us there to get our rental car.

I believe Swan/Dolphin has a rental car desk as well.

Greenkai3000

Original Poster
We did a 1-day car rental. Picked up the car from the Disney Car Care Center, drove to Port Canaveral, dropped it off and rode the free shuttle bus from the rental car place to the port. It was easy and cheap.
Can you get checked in, and tested before returning the rental? Or must you return the car to avoid paying to park at the place where you get tested and checked in ?

DisKid

Also for your information, the Disney bus will probably not get you to the port until 1:30 at the earliest which would make it probably around 2:30 before you are able to get on the ship.
I believe our last cruise the just this last September 10 we were scheduled to be picked up from the Beach Club about 1-1:30pm
making our arrival to the port around 2-2:30.
We opted for a private transfer.
Also be advised Disney is adhering strictly to your port arrival time you sign up for. We originally arrived just 10 minutes before we had scheduled and were turned away. Had to kill 10 minutes before they would let us out of the car. Would not even let us out and walk around in the parking garage!

Phonedave

Granted all of this was pre-COVID, so things are a bit different now

I have done the following

Disney Cruise Transfer - day of

Black Car / Limo Service - day of

One way rental - day before.

By far, my favorite was the one way rental. We went on our schedule, we stayed in a hotel in the area (I forget which one) and returned the car the next morning. We waited a few minutes for the shuttle bus, and then it was about 10 minutes to the port.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom