Trip Report DCL: Collect the whole set! A Pro9het Turf’less Surf story.

So the Cliff’s Notes version of trip details can be had here:

As is usual we are celebrating our anniversary at sea with DCL. What is not usual is we are doing it from a port that is not Port Canaveral. Our departure port would be New York City. This meant a first time trip to NYC for the both of us. This also meant there would be no WDW turf side to this story as is typical for us. Another first for us was our journey taking place on the Disney Magic. We’ve been on every other DCL ship to this point and we were excited to complete the set with our first Magic voyage. If that wasn’t enough “new” for us we added a new port of call, 2 days at Bermuda. So there ya have it, a series of firsts now lets get this party started.

Tuesday, day before we fly to NYC:
Word on the weather street was that a nor'easter was heading straight for NYC. Worse yet is was supposed to hit NYC while we were flying in that evening. We scrambled tonight to see if we could fly out earlier. Thankfully we found a flight leaving several hours earlier and better yet the seats were together. This would ease some of my bride’s fears of flying but only temporarily. It’s strange how life’s highs and lows can come at you. While we were scrambling to avoid a nor'easter we received a notification of a DVC resale contact that just hit the market. We’d been looking for a small VGC contract for a while and sure enough one popped up. We tossed our hat in the ring with an offer and the caveat that we were about to set sail and couldn’t sign anything until we returned. Fingers crossed!

Wednesday, travel day:
I was scheduled to work today but since we shifted our flight I took an additional vaca day. We left the house a little before 9am and since it was raining out this meant Georgia drivers just took a dump on Ga400. Seriously, this state may have the worst drivers. What should have been an easy, “post rush hour”, trip to the Marta station turned into a gridlock nightmare. It was so bad the usual Marta station we use was at capacity and we had to drive to the next station to catch a train. Thankfully that only incurred another 10 minutes on the road. We navigated the station, and soon were arriving at the airport. Hooray for TSA PreCheck! We passed through security in no time and settled into the terminal, only slightly frazzled.
IMG_7437.JPG

Speaking of highs and lows, while we sat at the gate we received a notice from the DVC resale agent:
IMG_7438.jpg

Our offer was accepted! This high was temporary, though, as it was time to board and my Bride’s nerves would be tested. As we boarded we did find things to distract us. For me it was:
IMG_7439.JPG

For my bride it was:
IMG_7442.JPG

Up next: Flying & Storms don't mix!

Last edited:

mcstensrud

Following along also!
We have what is called a Diverging Diamond here in Viera Fl, it takes you on the opposite side of the road. The Snow Birds have no idea how to use it 😂

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It was so much fun to meet you guys and shuttle you to the port! Waze certainly made for an interesting route. I saw parts of NYC I'd never seen before, but the brief swing through The Bronx was priceless. :joyfull:

Can't wait to read about your experience on the Magic and see if you love it as much as I do.

Last edited:

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Thursday, embarkation day con’t:

After boarding it was well into lunchtime and we were ready for some food. Typically this is where we would bounce into Cabana’s and make for the adult pool with our food in our swim suits. HOWEVER, NYC, October, and a nor’easter just passed though all meant that there would be no pool lounging today. So we broke with tradition again and decided to do a sit down lunch at Lumiere's. Obviously this was our first time here and we really enjoyed the theming. I especially liked the roses in the chandeliers.
IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

The lunch menu for Lumiere's was unique to say the least. It did not mirror the dinner menu in any real way and had some strange pairings like empanadas:
IMG_7469.JPG

Smoked Salmon:
IMG_7470.JPG

And Muffaletta:
IMG_7471.JPG

We rounded this out with some soup and a salad
IMG_7473.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

For my part, everything was good, especially the empanada. The dish was surprisingly spicy for a Disney. I think L enjoyed hers too, except for the salmon maybe. The sit down lunch was a nice change of pace and allowed us to kill some extra time before our rooms were ready

Up next: Cove Café and so much veranda

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Been waiting on this one! Still upset we didn’t get to meet up in NYC!
I know but it wasn't for a lack of us trying. Our last minute timing changes and weather messed with our plans.
Following along also!
Woot! Welcome aboard.
It was so much fun to meet you guys and shuttle you to the port! Waze certainly made for an interesting route. I saw parts of NYC I'd never seen before, but the brief swing through The Bronx was priceless. :joyfull:

Can't wait to read about your experience on the Magic and see if you love it as much as I do.
It was all new to us and was great experience. One Magic pro: How easy it is to go from forward to aft compared to The Dream/Fantasy!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Still having a short wait til our room was ready we went up to the top deck to get a caffeine infusion at Cove Café. I went with a café mocha and L had a pumpkin latte. We also tried out an orange chocolate treat.
IMG_7474.JPG

IMG_7476.JPG

IMG_7477.JPG

IMG_7475.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

While enjoying our drinks the announcement was made that rooms were ready so we made the short walk aft to deck six. Room 6154 was easy to find while being out of the way. This was great because it meant almost no foot traffic going by our room.
IMG_7479.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG

As soon as we entered I made a b-line for the veranda. I had seen pictures of it online but it those pictures did it no justice.
IMG_7481.JPG

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7483.JPG

Up next: More room

imahistorygeek

Just watched the video of your room. Wow -- I was amazed by the spaciousness of your room. And the length of the veranda!! You two hit the jackpot with this accommodation! :joyfull:

(I've seem images of cruise guest rooms before, but was always under the impression that they were not so spacious, although all were well appointed.)

I'd say very few staterooms are this big. Even though we've been doing this for a while, I research everything to death. I know which rooms to avoid and which ones are the best (for us).

epcotisbest

Still having a short wait til our room was ready we went up to the top deck to get a caffeine infusion at Cove Café. I went with a café mocha and L had a pumpkin latte. We also tried out an orange chocolate treat.
View attachment 427000
View attachment 427002
View attachment 427003
View attachment 427001
View attachment 427004

While enjoying our drinks the announcement was made that rooms were ready so we made the short walk aft to deck six. Room 6154 was easy to find while being out of the way. This was great because it meant almost no foot traffic going by our room.
View attachment 427005
View attachment 427006

As soon as we entered I made a b-line for the veranda. I had seen pictures of it online but it those pictures did it no justice.
View attachment 427007
View attachment 427008
View attachment 427009

Up next: More room

You could hold a little league baseball game out there. I had no idea there were verandas that big. Still gotta try a cruise some day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom