DCA's 20th Anniversary is Coming, What will it look like at it's 30th?

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Next month will be DCA's 20th anniversary is coming, where it will likely remain closed with only a few pieces of merchandise being released in DtD to celebrate. But we know what it looks like now and the current direction it's going, but what will look like during its 30th anniversary?

If they keep going the direction that they are with California Adventure, this is what I think DCA will look like in the future. Maybe with a new name like Disney's California Acquisitions?
DCAquistition.jpg

mickEblu

Next month will be DCA's 20th anniversary is coming, where it will likely remain closed with only a few pieces of merchandise being released in DtD to celebrate. But we know what it looks like now and the current direction it's going, but what will look like during its 30th anniversary?

If they keep going the direction that they are with California Adventure, this is what I think DCA will look like in the future. Maybe with a new name like Disney's California Acquisitions?
View attachment 522288

I mean not too far off. That’s what it looks like now. Just turn Grizzly Peak into Endor. Change the attractions to Soarin Over Endor and Wicket River Run (the latter which would just need a new marquee and one Wicket AA and you re there.

J4546

I cant see them getting rid of Grizzly rapids or soarin but you never know... I can def see them expanding Marvel land into the hollywood area though. That area is weak as is, and Marvel is a huge IP and Disney can only use the major avengers characters in California not Florida for the time being due to licensing issues. So unless those get straightened out, might as well go big with marvel where you can. And honestly Id love 2-3 more eticket marvel rides in a major expansion in CA.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
I cant see them getting rid of Grizzly rapids or soarin but you never know... I can def see them expanding Marvel land into the hollywood area though. That area is weak as is, and Marvel is a huge IP and Disney can only use the major avengers characters in California not Florida for the time being due to licensing issues. So unless those get straightened out, might as well go big with marvel where you can. And honestly Id love 2-3 more eticket marvel rides in a major expansion in CA.
Probably the only thing that's stopping Disney from expanding Marvel out are the two live theaters (Disney Jr. and Hyperion). At least one of those theaters will be empty at reopening (Hyperion), so I could see them seizing the opportunity and retheming half of Hollywood Land to modern LA for Marvel (back half near Hyperion, Animation building , and Studio Lot). Disney Jr. and one or two other shops near the entrance are incorporated to Buena Vista Street.

Darkbeer1

The comment was 20th, and then 30th.... so 10 years apart.

But to be honest, if the Eastern Gateway gets Planning Commission approval in 2021, the ground breaking will be 2022 or later. When will the new Security Plaza and Transportation area open? 2025, maybe earlier, maybe later. But the bridge has to be finished, and if needed, the Monorail moved. Only when those things are done, can the ground be bulldozed and prepped for construction. Then how long before something new will be built and ready to open?

With the current pauses and delays until revenue streams return, a goal of having something for the 30th isn't that crazy.....

Darkbeer1

Let's look at what is needed in a timeline to have room for a DCA expansion.

First is the city approval through the Planning Commission and City Council. The current makeup of the Mayor and 6 councilmembers says that a reasonable project in design should be approved, especially if it includes a fast timeline in construction (aka job creation).

Next is the prep work for building a bridge, including shifting the Monorail track if needed, while keeping the current transportation plaza and pedestrian entrance open. More than likely, Harbor Pointe will be the most affected area. The East side of the bridge is easy.

Once the bridge is done, the new Security Plaza and new Transportation Plaza, including Uber/Lyft and Public Busses are completed and open, then we can address the West Side of Harbor. The new Parking Structure can wait, with at least a partial opening at the same time the DCA Expansion opens.

So once there is no need for the Transportation Plaza, the current Security Check, Drop Off area and the sidewalks, Disney can start the prep work to start new construction. That is a multi-year project to get to new construction, which is another multi-year project.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom