[DCA] Hollywood Land

sponono88

Original Poster
NSMhollywoodland.png

New artwork and additional info about this section of DCA are beginning to appear, so I decided to start a new thread entirely for Hollywood Land. Currently known as the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, Hollywood Land will re-create the golden-age of Hollywood in the 30s and 40s. Plans include new period-appropiate facades, Red Car Trolleys, new entertainment, and a new look for the Hyperion Theater complete with an entrance lobby.

Although the re-theme is expected to be part of Phase 2 expansion, Hollywood Land is slowly becoming a reality at the park. Already installed are the brick-lined trolley tracks, and very soon a new period appropiate facade will be added to the newly-named Disney Theater. More additions are planned - here's a look at concept art and sketches of what may eventually show up at the park

An early sketch of Hollywood Land

1170460653_Z8XZY-M.jpg

The new Red Car Trolleys will travel through Hollywood Land

897600473_GAaKA-M.jpg

758779915_9sjDx-M.jpg

1170461500_JJiu6-M.jpg

2vxephv.gif

sponono88

Original Poster
This still from a Blue Sky Cellar video reveals the proposed new facade for the Hyperion Theater

Screenshot2011-01-28at112901PM.png

The Hyperion Theater remodel is expected to include a new facade for the theater, and possible new entrance lobby

1170439726_zCmjD-M.jpg

The theater which will house Disney Junior will receive a new facade (opens March '11)

1170440847_mzCMt-M.jpg

1170462179_KzfTP-M.jpg

The Disney Theater facade is inspired by this building

1170440726_K28WR-M.jpg

image source: MintCrocodile

LALALand

This is very cool. The old look of Hollywood is still evident here, but Hollywood Blvd, while being commercially resurrected, still doesn't have the feel that "old" Hollywood seemed to have. There's only so much that the Highland Center can provide hehehe. I think this will all look GREAT once it's complete. Thanks for providing the pics.

ms7479a

What do you think they will do to the facade of the Monsters Inc ride? That definitely won't fit into the Hollywoodland theme.

sponono88

Original Poster
Notice the concept art only shows Hollywood and Sunset Blvd. So far nothing has been announced for the area surrounding Monsters Inc. My guess is Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be converted into two areas - the existing Hollywood Studios section, and HollywoodLand. Doing this would allow them to add 30's Hollywood, but also keep the Studios theme as a sub-land.

The Hollywood Studios section was created when they redid the area a couple years ago -- they added a new courtyard with a Mickey fountain, updated the building facades and Studio signs, and added two archway entrances with the new name:

1020997046_a1e2f7bd65.jpg

SeaBase86

To all my huge WDW fanatics what they are doing to Hollywoodland is similar to what Hollywood Studios park is (similar naming?). The entrance to the land will give the impression of being in the golden age of Hollywood. Once you cross under the arch it will become a working studios backlot. Very similar to how in HS you walk in on Hollywood Blvd and then once you get past the Indiana Jones show or pass through the animation courtyard arch you are on a backlot.

I wanna thank everyone who is keeping us east coasters updated on this great expansion. It is very helpful and I'm very appreciative. I come the Didneyland thread everyday to check for these updates they are all very exciting.

sponono88

Original Poster
The Disney Theater is now complete, with shows beginning tomorrow March 22nd -

IMG_5319.jpg

They added new doors, poster frames, and tiled entryways

IMG_5329.jpg

Lots of new lights under the main marquee

IMG_5327.jpg

Gone are the blocky, colorful Playhouse Disney signs

IMG_5380.jpg

They also removed the electronic tickerboard that wrapped around the building

IMG_5375.jpg

Overall a very big improvement over the previous Playhouse Disney theater. :)

nemofinder22

The Hollywood Pictures Backlot arch is said to be removed in the coming weeks, the ElecTRONica sign has been removed from the arch as well, and a new sign for ElecTRONica has popped up on the left side of the entrance, the EleTRONica stage is now sitting between Off the Page and Disney Junior.

1238467266_CEwUc-S.jpg

http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/04-02-11/IMG7362/1238467266_CEwUc-X3.jpg

Photo by Dateline Disneyland
http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/04-02-11/16458995_QxHoc#1238467266_CEwUc

sponono88

Original Poster
Here's another picture from @TheLady33 on Twitter. According to Imagineer183, a new thematically-appropriate Hollywood Land sign will be added soon.

hpbsign.jpg

comics101

Will they be keeping the Elephants from the silent film Intolerance in the entrance to the land? It appears so, and I personally hope they do, as I feel it's a great little detail most people probably don't even realize is there.

sponono88

Original Poster
^ Not sure if they will keep the elephants. My guess is they will probably be removed, since the original sign was meant to resemble a large-scale movie set. With Hollywood Land they are trying to move away from the movie-set/backlot theme and make it into a 'real' Hollywood street in the '30-40s.

wild01ride

Here's another picture from @TheLady33 on Twitter. According to Imagineer183, a new thematically-appropriate Hollywood Land sign will be added soon.

You know, I was just there but didn't even realize until I looked back at pictures that there was never a "Hollywood Land" sign or otherwise put up where the old Hollywood Pictures Backlot sign used to be (as mentioned in the post above). Presumably because they've had ElecTRONica in place there since shortly after the old sign came down.
It will be interesting to see what happens long-term when ElecTRONica finally bows.
(Side note, as a supposed "temporary" installation, ElecTRONica certainly has been successful and has made itself very comfortable on the "Backlot"!)

nemofinder22

It will be interesting to see if Hollywood actually gets a sign, since most lands have one but a handful also don't.

Mouseplanet is reporting that the elephants will be removed.
http://www.mouseplanet.com/9892/Disneyland_Resort_Update
Finally, it seems time is running out for the giant elephants standing watch at the entrance to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot. The pachyderms, modeled on those featured in the 1916 silent film Intolerance, may soon be removed from their perch, though the support pylons will probably remain. We don't know what Disney plans to go with the sculptures; perhaps the Hollywood and Highland shopping complex would like another pair to go with the set they have.

Also this was mentioned back in Feb, but not in this thread yet, but Hollywood Land is the new official name for Hollywood Pictures Backlot come this summer.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...disney-california-adventure-park-this-summer/
When the expansion of the park is complete this summer, guests will have a total of eight themed lands to explore. With the addition of two new areas — Buena Vista Street and Cars Land — and slight changes to the names of some existing areas, the total number of themed lands will increase to eight and include:
Hollywood Land

wild01ride

It definitely seems like it would be a fitting "Land" to have an entry sign.
Notable entry signs are generally a mainstay for the various studios in Burbank, etc.
I imagine that it would only be fitting to have a sign here as well to fully embrace the theme.

TP2000

It definitely seems like it would be a fitting "Land" to have an entry sign.
Notable entry signs are generally a mainstay for the various studios in Burbank, etc.
I imagine that it would only be fitting to have a sign here as well to fully embrace the theme.

Great point. The studios of west LA, Hollywood, and Burbank still have some neat entrance gates. My favorite is Paramount Studios, still using the same gate off of Melrose Avenue in west Los Angeles as they did when they made silent movies in the 1920's...

Paramount Pictures entrance gate 1920's
Paramount+-+Gate.jpg

Paramount Pictures entrance gate 2010's
entrance-to-paramount.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom