day after closing

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When an attraction permanently closes, does construction on the replacement start the next day?

Sometime work starts quickly, for example I think work started very quickly on Frozen Ever After when Maelstrom closed. Other times not so much, for example the Backlot Tour at DHS sat apparently untouched for at least a year after it closed.

BasiltheBatLord

I've always thought it would be insanely surreal to work on a demolition/removal team after a ride permanently closes. To be unbolting and removing show elements that have been in place for decades in some cases.

kpilcher

It varies.

One attraction had items starting to be removed the same evening it closed.
I assume you're talking about World of Motion? They didn't even wait for it to close to start removing elements. I went there on NYE just to ride one last time and see Bird & Robot, but B&R were already behind walls, and the pepper's ghost effect at the end of the ride was already gone.

kpilcher

I'm not but that's interesting.
IIRC, they started removing the ride vehicles the next night shortly after closing (Jan 2nd of '96) . Of course, back then they thought Test Track was going to be a relatively easy build. As you well know, things didn't exactly go according to plan.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I've always thought it would be insanely surreal to work on a demolition/removal team after a ride permanently closes. To be unbolting and removing show elements that have been in place for decades in some cases.
Sadly, most if not all of the people doing the work could care less. The demolition of attractions is generally done with the same historical regard as a bathroom remodel in a random 3/2 house in any subdivision in the country.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sadly, most if not all of the people doing the work could care less. The demolition of attractions is generally done with the same historical regard as a bathroom remodel in a random 3/2 house in any subdivision in the country.
If they're lucky, the archives get a few hours head start to save anything of significance. They'll also label things that are deemed valuable should they not get there first. And hope the label is read.

trainplane3

If they're lucky, the archives get a few hours head start to save anything of significance. They'll also label things that are deemed valuable should they not get there first. And hope the label is read.
Is there anything that happens if the demo crew were to damage something that was to be archived? A smack on the wrist if someone took a sledgehammer to something of value? Or a actual punishment?

thepirateking

I have questions regarding the archival process too. I've personally tried to document exhibits/attractions that are permanently closing. Does Disney make a point to take archival photographs and video? Or are they just happy razing attractions and living with whatever media they have?

trainplane3

I have questions regarding the archival process too. I've personally tried to document exhibits/attractions that are permanently closing. Does Disney make a point to take archival photographs and video? Or are they just happy razing attractions and living with whatever media they have?
There was a video taken in the old Imageworks about 2 months ago. It showed some sticker that said "DO NOT DESTROY" on key objects (sensor tunnel, etc.). It also said to contact the archives before destroying. Basically, they call in and say "Hey do you want this sign/set piece/etc?" and if the archives say yes, they pull it carefully. If not, sledgehammer time! I think I have this right, but I'm sure Martin can confirm.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, records are made where possible by cast members, members of the archives and enthusiastic volunteers. Key items are removed for storage in California where possible. And then the changes begin.

geekza

Were any entire rides sets archived?

I seriously doubt it. Storage costs money. They would only save artistically or historically significant parts of sets. In these days where projections are becoming more-and-more common instead of physical sets, props, and figures, there will be even less that could be archived from attractions that go the way of the Swan Boats. I mean, the digital files for the projections wouldn't be difficult to archive, but bleh.

Lora Baines Bradley

Intriguing thread. Love reading all the insider's responses- keep them coming, please! :)

I remember going into an AP-only Epcot 35th (or 30th? Can't remember) exhibit.12 year old me unfortunately did not take too much note (or pictures) and I really only remember an old Figment AA and that there were some props. Honestly, Disney has a responsibility to archive. Their attractions are a piece of history, beloved by millions, and a great way to showcase what life and technology was like when certain rides/shows were created. At the very least, in 50 years, when the company is dying, they can open an exhibit in a rec center and charge $20 to enter. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom