day 5 of anniversary trip/Epcot & More

Day five of our trip began with another trip to Epcot at mid-morning with Test Track first on the list. We did the single pass route again and were on board in about 15 minutes and before heading in got a Fast Pass for later in the day.
From there we made a quick stop at Innoventions to send our daughter and our best friends emails. We decided once again to make our way around World Showcase with the objective to purchase gifts for our daughter and for a friend of ours. Our daughter thanks to her college Italian course has developed quite a love for the country and the culture. Our friend, to whom we also sent an email greeting for her and her husband, has a dream of visiting Paris and is truly fascinated by the city. So we knew where to shop for each of them. Along the walk around WS I shot some more pictures and found that I was pleased with the way most of them turned out. Again, I'm hardly what you'd call a photographer but I wanted to document as much of this trip as I could and Epcot certainly is a photographer's paradise. We finally made our way around WS and went to France to purchase a gift for our friend. While there we made an incredible discovery which we now "blame" her for. We discovered that French pastry shop and were taken in by the smell and the fact that we were hungry and their selection did indeed look irrestible behind that glass of each "display case". We yielded to temptation and each of us got at least one "example" of the products offered. For some unexplained reason we have overlooked this place on prior trips to WDW and Epcot, but never again as we would return yet again before the end of this trip. We took our food and our drinks into the tiny, which they would probably describe as "intimate" dining area located inside the gift shop adjoining the pastry shop. It was in the gift shop that we purchased our friend a Paris guidebook which the CM in the store, a Paris native according to her name tag said was about the best guide book on the market and from what we could glean from it she is probably right. It was a hit when delivered to our freind who said "it wasn't necessary for you to do this...but I'm glad you did", she said with a broad smile.
We found some lovely ear rings and a necklace for our daughter in "Italy", both of which were Italian made and they were indeed a hit with her when we presented them to her on our return home. She remarked that she was glad to have something from her "homeland". Italy's section has some of the "actors" who move about and position themselves and appear almost statue-like. I took Judy's picture with one of them who kissed her hand as I signaled that I had completed the shot. Two other members of our party were also photographed with two of the others over near the area where the gondolas are docked. I was reminded yet again of how these "small things" contribute so much to the overall experience of a WDW vacation. It's also a reminder of how much there is to experience and how it is impossible to experience it in one trip. Therein lies a great deal of the beauty and magic.
By the time we approached the AA Theater the patriotic show at the outdoor theater across the walk was minutes away from beginning. We saw this last year on July 4th for the first time on a rainy, cloudy, lousy looking day and found it to be both a moving and memorable show. As expected this afternoon presentation was outstanding for its production and for the emotion generated by the drum and fife group which opened and in their salute to each division of the armed forces as they played the theme song of each. The group of singers that followed was typically Disneyesque and outstanding and while the show was lightly attended those in the theater did appreciate the show and the quality of the enertainment.
We began our return to Test Track and noted that there were some ominous looking clouds making their presence known. But surely we thought the clouds were not moving fast enough or carrying enough rain, etc to impede our Test Track experience. We headed through the Fast Pass line and it seemed to be moving more slowly than one would expect, in fact it seemed unusually slow. Along the way warning announcements were made of the possibility of shutting down the attraction due to the inclement weather. Sure enough as we were at the point of preparing to board the announcement was made that the shutdown was being carried out and our consolation was a pass good for life to be utilized at a future time. We left the park in a driving rain and headed back to our rooms at the CBR in order to regroup for the evening at MGM and the Fantasmic Dining Experience at the Brown Derby.

We had 5:40 PS for the Brown Derby/Fantasmic package. I headed down to Tower of Terror to get Fast Passes for us while Judy and the others went on into the restaraunt. When I walked into the restaraunt I sensed a change from the last time we were there 5 years ago. I love the Brown Derby and the history/lineage to the original in Hollywood. We've had some great dining experiences at the MGM Brown Derby and always found the experience to be quiet and almost comforting and at the prices they charge it should be. But I noted the absence of the baby grand piano and was struck by the noise level in the dining area. In past visits it had been quiet, not library like, but quiet in a way in which you would expect from a restaraunt of this ilk. That was hardly the case this time. While the other aspects of the Brown Derby remain intact. The staff still dresses to the nines and is quite attentive and the food is indeed well prepared and well presented. We enjoyed our food very much, it was great but the noise level, as Judy observed was "cafeteria like". I don't know if any of you have experienced this and I don't know what can be done about it by Disney and/or restaraunt management. I enjoyed the meal but was disappointed by the absence of atmosphere that once existed here. It was indeed a high price to pay for the seating at Fantasmic. It didn't ruin my evening but it was truly a let down and again, I say at these prices this kind of atmosphere is hardly consistent with the dollars spent.
We cheered ourselves by utilizing our Fast Pass to TOT and got another of the new sequences and it was terrific again. We spent some time shopping and I spent some of that time taking photos of the park including the neon Pluto atop one of the shops and the giant Sorcerer's hat, etc. I also took some great photos looking down toward TOT. We then made our way over to our special seating at the Fantasmic Theater. The show was incredible and it compensated in part for the absence of atmosphere at the Brown Derby. Fantasmic continues to amaze me at how they put it all together. The projections of movie scenes onto the water is incredible and the way everything comes together and the big finish with the boat filled with the characters is indeed a site to behold. We managed to get some pretty decent photos of this. Another example of Disney magic and another reminder of how and why this park is number one in our book.
I went back this week and looked over some of the pictures I took at MGM and how I worked in some pictures of stuff not taken previously. A shot of Dinosaur Gertie turned out great. I took some shots of the Prime Time Cafe's exterior. These are not necessarily attractions but they are vital parts of MGM and contribute to making it what it is. They add charm and distinction. I think that could describe MGM and perhaps therein lies its charm.
Next up...the last full day and a full day indeed. To this point it has been a great and memorable trip and it would continue right up until the time we boarded the plane to head home. Will long remember this one...and we still had July 4 in WDW ahead of us which I will share with you in the next report.

Bill Yarbor
Haubstadt, Indiana

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom