David's Vacation Club Rentals/DVC Rental Store Question

Brer Bear

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently on the waiting list at DVC Rental Store to be matched with a owner for the week of Dec19th-24th ( 77 points @ BLT). I've been waiting for around 2 weeks with no luck as of yet. I've been very lucky in the past and only had to wait around 48 hours to be matched for some summer vacations with the family in the past so I have a few questions:

1. How long of a wait has anyone out there waited before they changed their number one resort preference? Our dates are not flexible but the resort is. We would really take any of the DVC Deluxe Resort options (BLT, Poly, Beach, Boardwalk...etc)
2. Has anyone every paid the $100.00 and had 2 searches going simultaneously with both companies? I'm thinking about doing this and just cancel the search that doesn't hit as soon as we found a member.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

nickys

Premium Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm currently on the waiting list at DVC Rental Store to be matched with a owner for the week of Dec19th-24th ( 77 points @ BLT). I've been waiting for around 2 weeks with no luck as of yet. I've been very lucky in the past and only had to wait around 48 hours to be matched for some summer vacations with the family in the past so I have a few questions:

1. How long of a wait has anyone out there waited before they changed their number one resort preference? Our dates are not flexible but the resort is. We would really take any of the DVC Deluxe Resort options (BLT, Poly, Beach, Boardwalk...etc)
2. Has anyone every paid the $100.00 and had 2 searches going simultaneously with both companies? I'm thinking about doing this and just cancel the search that doesn't hit as soon as we found a member.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

I would check what happens with each broker if they find an owner to book your stay. Will they check with you first before asking the owner to go ahead and book it? Don’t assume anything, otherwise you could end up with two rooms and a no cancellation policy.

mousefan1972

You should probably adjust your search. 77 points at BLT for those dates is a standard view studio, which is not fully available. Lake view is currently available for 91 points or theme park view for 107. You could also ask the brokers if they have points available at any other resorts that might interest you. Good luck.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
You should probably adjust your search. 77 points at BLT for those dates is a standard view studio, which is not fully available. Lake view is currently available for 91 points or theme park view for 107. You could also ask the brokers if they have points available at any other resorts that might interest you. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. Both places said they had availability, at BLT and other resorts, but didn’t mention if they had points on hand. I’ve spoken directly to David’s people. I assumed they would tell me if points were immediately available to book with either of my top 3 resorts, maybe not though.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
I would check what happens with each broker if they find an owner to book your stay. Will they check with you first before asking the owner to go ahead and book it? Don’t assume anything, otherwise you could end up with two rooms and a no cancellation policy.
I don’t think they will check back once an owner is found. They would just book and get a hold of me. At that point if I back out I would loose me deposit. That’s why I’m not sure if this is something others have done.

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. Both places said they had availability, at BLT and other resorts, but didn’t mention if they had points on hand. I’ve spoken directly to David’s people. I assumed they would tell me if points were immediately available to book with either of my top 3 resorts, maybe not though.

So just to clarify here.

A broker needs two things to be able to get you a reservation:

1) There needs to be availability. All brokers have the same availability.

2) They need an owner with the “right” points who has registered to rent out their points.

But then, on top of that they also need a third thing, an owner who agrees to make the booking.

When I registered my points with David, I told them how many points, where, when they expire and if I was willing to borrow some to make a booking. If someone wanted 90 points at Bay Lake, they would email all Bay Lake owners on their list who had at least 90 points registered. It is entirely up to each owner if they want to make it or not; maybe it would leave them too few points left to make another reservation, maybe they’re just too busy. First person to email back and say “yes” gets the details and is asked to book.

So a broker can’t say “oh yes, we have points at this resort if you want to switch”. They may say they have owners with points at that resort, but they can’t be sure they can definitely get you your reservation. And neither is there a waiting list in the strict sense of the word. There are too many variables involved, namely the owners themselves.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
So just to clarify here.

2) They need an owner with the “right” points who has registered to rent out their points.

But then, on top of that they also need a third thing, an owner who agrees to make the booking.

When I registered my points with David, I told them how many points, where, when they expire and if I was willing to borrow some to make a booking. If someone wanted 90 points at Bay Lake, they would email all Bay Lake owners on their list who had at least 90 points registered. It is entirely up to each owner if they want to make it or not; maybe it would leave them too few points left to make another reservation, maybe they’re just too busy. First person to email back and say “yes” gets the details and is asked to book.

So a broker can’t say “oh yes, we have points at this resort if you want to switch”. They may say they have owners with points at that resort, but they can’t be sure they can definitely get you your reservation. And neither is there a waiting list in the strict sense of the word. There are too many variables involved, namely the owners themselves.
This is very helpful....thanks!

Do you know if waiting weeks and possibly a few months within the norm when trying to secure a reservation around this time ? Also, if I waited to book with the 7 month window wouldn’t that open up the number of owners they might pick up my reservation?

Just wondering

nickys

Premium Member
This is very helpful....thanks!

Do you know if waiting weeks and possibly a few months within the norm when trying to secure a reservation around this time ? Also, if I waited to book with the 7 month window wouldn’t that open up the number of owners they might pick up my reservation?

Just wondering

The time you’re wanting to go is a busy time, so I wouldn’t be surprised that you would have to wait. And at that time of year, waiting until the 7 month mark would mean very limited availability anywhere.

However, as @mousefan1972 said, there isn’t full availability for that week in a standard studio at Bay Lake. So no broker will be able to get that reservation for you until / if someone cancels the required night(s). There are only three of your nights currently available.

So at this point, you need to either change the room-type you’re looking for at Bay Lake, or change resorts.

I did another quick check. You could get a lake view or theme-park view studio at Bay Lake. Or change to any other resort except for GFV, CCV or BRV. Some views are also unavailable, for example at BWV only garden/pool view is available. That availability could change instantly.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
The time you’re wanting to go is a busy time, so I wouldn’t be surprised that you would have to wait. And at that time of year, waiting until the 7 month mark would mean very limited availability anywhere.

However, as @mousefan1972 said, there isn’t full availability for that week in a standard studio at Bay Lake. So no broker will be able to get that reservation for you until / if someone cancels the required night(s). There are only three of your nights currently available.

So at this point, you need to either change the room-type you’re looking for at Bay Lake, or change resorts.

I did another quick check. You could get a lake view or theme-park view studio at Bay Lake. Or change to any other resort except for GFV, CCV or BRV. Some views are also unavailable, for example at BWV only garden/pool view is available. That availability could change instantly.
Sorry for the confusion. I did list “Lake View” as my studio of choice not “standard” because I was told that availability wasn’t there for standard from the beginning. I also let them know that we would take any view available at BWV. I thought doing that might give me more options to find a owner.
I believe I was told by David’s that it might be easier to find a BWV studio than a BLT studio but obviously they can’t say for sure.

nickys

Premium Member
Sorry for the confusion. I did list “Lake View” as my studio of choice not “standard” because I was told that availability wasn’t there for standard from the beginning. I also let them know that we would take any view available at BWV. I thought doing that might give me more options to find a owner.
I believe I was told by David’s that it might be easier to find a BWV studio than a BLT studio but obviously they can’t say for sure.

Ah, OK. It was the 77 points that was throwing me, that would be for the standard view for those dates.

In that case, I would hang on for two or three weeks and then have a conversation with David’s.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
So just to clarify here.

Also, just wondering if either company has an advantage over the other in obtaining members points. Why would an owner like yourself choose David's, over DVC Rental, or DVC-Rental Store? Do these companies all choose from the same pool of DVC owners when trying yo match for reservations?

nickys

Premium Member
Also, just wondering if either company has an advantage over the other in obtaining members points. Why would an owner like yourself choose David's, over DVC Rental, or DVC-Rental Store? Do these companies all choose from the same pool of DVC owners when trying yo match for reservations?

In general most owners will go with the broker who pays them the most for their points; I mean why wouldn’t they?

However, as some long-term renters become owners, they may have a loyalty to a particular broker.

But owners register their points that they wish to rent out with a broker, so the brokers don’t choose the owners.

I went with David’s as they were a board sponsor; they also happen to pay owners the most . I later found out that the other major player don’t accept foreign owners, so I wouldn’t have been able to register with them anyway. I have no idea why they won’t.🤷‍♀️

Brer Bear

Original Poster
In general most owners will go with the broker who pays them the most for their points; I mean why wouldn’t they?

However, as some long-term renters become owners, they may have a loyalty to a particular broker.

But owners register their points that they wish to rent out with a broker, so the brokers don’t choose the owners.

I went with David’s as they were a board sponsor; they also happen to pay owners the most . I later found out that the other major player don’t accept foreign owners, so I wouldn’t have been able to register with them anyway. I have no idea why they won’t.🤷‍♀️
Cool...but just to be clear you gave you points directly to David and no other broker had a chance to use?. So a more "well known company" like David's might pull from a larger pool of owners?

nickys

Premium Member
Cool...but just to be clear you gave you points directly to David and no other broker had a chance to use?. So a more "well known company" like David's might pull from a larger pool of owners?

A broker can only use the points that owners register with them. I don’t know if people can register with more than one broker though.

There are two main brokers, and yes they will have more owners than others.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
A broker can only use the points that owners register with them. I don’t know if people can register with more than one broker though.

There are two main brokers, and yes they will have more owners than others.
Excellent.....thanks for all the good info!

FCivish3

I agree, a Standard View. BLT for those dates is likely to be hard to get

Charjen

I don’t think they will check back once an owner is found. They would just book and get a hold of me. At that point if I back out I would loose me deposit. That’s why I’m not sure if this is something others have done.

I just booked through David's last month for the end of this November. It was for BLT, theme park view. I waited 4 weeks before they had someone to rent me their points.
Also, they emailed me with the information before having the owner book it. You will get an email saying they found someone to rent the amount of points you need and they will also say, click her to confirm. Once you do, you'll fill out all of your information and click "book." They won't book it without you because they need the payment before the owner books.

Brer Bear

Original Poster
I just booked through David's last month for the end of this November. It was for BLT, theme park view. I waited 4 weeks before they had someone to rent me their points.
Also, they emailed me with the information before having the owner book it. You will get an email saying they found someone to rent the amount of points you need and they will also say, click her to confirm. Once you do, you'll fill out all of your information and click "book." They won't book it without you because they need the payment before the owner books.
Thanks for the help. It seems that I might be waiting a few weeks. Especially considering the weeks I’m looking to travel.

Charjen

Thanks for the help. It seems that I might be waiting a few weeks. Especially considering the weeks I’m looking to travel.
FINGERS CROSSED!! I was getting negative hope because of our dates as well. We are booked for November 28-December 6th, BUT we got it!!!!! You never know! Stay positive!

I was just able to book through David’s for early December 2020. It took almost a month to get a match but I was able to get what I wanted (1br lake view BLT). I did have reservation requests with both companies and as soon as David’s booked me and sent the confirmation number I emailed to cancel at the other place and was refunded my 100 deposit. It was stressful waiting but it paid off! I had also booked a room at the contemporary through Disney as a back up but cancelled that as well bc I knew our dates weren’t flexible if I was unable to get David’s. Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom