David's or DVC Rental Store?

Phonedave

One more question, if I may. Am I correct that you don't pay extra for additional guests in these rooms? The studios sleep up to 5, they say. I am unsure at this point if we will be 3, 4, or 5. Does it matter?

As long as you do not exceed the maximum stated occupancy of the room, it does not matter. One person or 5 people, it is all the same number of points (i,e dollars for you)

nickys

Premium Member
As long as you do not exceed the maximum stated occupancy of the room, it does not matter. One person or 5 people, it is all the same number of points (i,e dollars for you)

One thing though. The owner you rent from will need to make any changes to the reservation.

To avoid too many changes, it might be better to list everyone at the start. That way it doesn’t matter if one decides not to come, whereas if you need to add someone at the 60 day mark you might have a few sleepless nights if the owner isn’t able to add the extra guest straight away.

DocAlan02

Original Poster
One thing though. The owner you rent from will need to make any changes to the reservation.

To avoid too many changes, it might be better to list everyone at the start. That way it doesn’t matter if one decides not to come, whereas if you need to add someone at the 60 day mark you might have a few sleepless nights if the owner isn’t able to add the extra guest straight away.

If it doesn't matter if we are 3, 4, or 5, why would they even need to add extra guests?

aliceismad

DocAlan02

Original Poster
FWIW, unless there are multiple small kiddos, personally 5 people in one studio with one bathroom seems an awfully tight squeeze. But of course we do what we can to stay within our budgets for Disney. :)

Here's a link to room sizes in case it's helpful: https://dvcinfo.com/dvc-information/resort-information/dvc-room-inventory/

Thanks. I am familiar with the sizes. One of us is 7 years old. He'll use the fold-down bed. My daughters are 24 (twins). I told them that it'll be tight if, they both come, but they said they are cool with it and have done it before. I am pretty sure at least one of of them if not both, won't end up on the trip....just trying to plan it so that it works if it ends up being 5 of us.

Phonedave

Oh, I see. Makes sense. So I could start with all 5 of us, but it'd be no big deal if we don't all come.

Exactly. If the person is not on the reservation then you cannot link them in MDE, then you cannot set up their magic band, then you cannot make advance FP+ reservations for them, yadda yadda yadda. It is much easier to put them on the reservation, and then if they don't show up, no big deal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ve only rented points once and it was through David’s. I got a studio room at Grand CA for the summer which is pretty tough to do. I got lucky and an owner was willing to rent so it was booked between the 7 and 11 month window. I knew if I waited until 7 months to use my own points there was a very good chance I would not get a studio room. So far the process with Davids was extremely smooth and easy. I’ve never tried the other sites so can’t compare the experience. I picked Davids to try based on recommendations here, plus it was just easy to trust a guy in a wizard hat;)

Skibum1970

I’ve only rented points once and it was through David’s. I got a studio room at Grand CA for the summer which is pretty tough to do. I got lucky and an owner was willing to rent so it was booked between the 7 and 11 month window. I knew if I waited until 7 months to use my own points there was a very good chance I would not get a studio room. So far the process with Davids was extremely smooth and easy. I’ve never tried the other sites so can’t compare the experience. I picked Davids to try based on recommendations here, plus it was just easy to trust a guy in a wizard hat;)

I've used Dave's DVC twice and both times were easy. Only thing was availability. Even seven months out, I couldn't get Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge. However, that was a function of availability and not a result of Dave's. Overall, I really like using them and found the prices to be excellent. For four nights at OKW in November, we spent $675.00 total, which averages about $170.00/night.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've used Dave's DVC twice and both times were easy. Only thing was availability. Even seven months out, I couldn't get Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge. However, that was a function of availability and not a result of Dave's. Overall, I really like using them and found the prices to be excellent. For four nights at OKW in November, we spent $675.00 total, which averages about $170.00/night.
We are literally paying half the cash room rate for Grand CA and it’s not like I’m going to get a lot of offers for discounts at DLR so it’s a real huge savings. We will have a rental car too while we are out there so I will also save on the $20 daily parking fee. I guess it’s good that not too many people realize the benefit or it would be a lot harder to find points to rent (or more expensive).

DocAlan02

Original Poster
The other thing that is holding me up here is the cancellation policy. Makes me nervous to book something this far in advance that you can't cancel.

dreamfinder

The other thing that is holding me up here is the cancellation policy. Makes me nervous to book something this far in advance that you can't cancel.

It's because the owners may or may not be able to re-use those points if you cancel. DVC owners can't just cancel and get a reservation refunded, there are certain dates when points need to be used by. So to make sure the owner gets the value for their points, it's usually non-refundable. You may be able to get travel insurance to cover the rental, but double check the terms. Not all allow for point rentals.

DocAlan02

Original Poster
It's because the owners may or may not be able to re-use those points if you cancel. DVC owners can't just cancel and get a reservation refunded, there are certain dates when points need to be used by. So to make sure the owner gets the value for their points, it's usually non-refundable. You may be able to get travel insurance to cover the rental, but double check the terms. Not all allow for point rentals.

Yep, I understand it and it makes sense. Just have to decide if I am willing to take the risk.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A valid concern. Like others said you could get trip insurance which can cover things like medical emergencies or even loss of job (depending on the details of the policy), but it won’t cover you just changing your mind. You have to weigh the money saved vs the flexibility to change your mind. Lots of hotel chains started offering a non-refundable rate that’s a discount from the standard rate but it’s rarely 30/40/50% savings.

aliceismad

A valid concern. Like others said you could get trip insurance which can cover things like medical emergencies or even loss of job (depending on the details of the policy), but it won’t cover you just changing your mind.
I’ve bought trip insurance for a cruise with a “cancel for any reason” clause, which would cover changing your mind. It was slightly more expensive. I believe it also required me to purchase it within a certain number of days of paying for the down payment. Insure my trip is a good place to compare multiple options and companies.

cslafferty

Today is my 11 month window for our Dec 8-14 trip. I requested a studio at BLT with a theme park view. I heard back from DVC Rental Store that they have availability at BLT for our dates - just not a theme park view. Should I try David’s, or do they all have the same availability?

correcaminos

Today is my 11 month window for our Dec 8-14 trip. I requested a studio at BLT with a theme park view. I heard back from DVC Rental Store that they have availability at BLT for our dates - just not a theme park view. Should I try David’s, or do they all have the same availability?
Availability is not dependent upon who you use unless you had someone who booked this and has no plans on using it.

I checked and the only view available for BLT studios is Lake View. I'd book now because the days leading up to this are gone already. The longer you wait, the less likely you can get it.

JaxFLBear

The nights of the 8th and 9th are not available for a Theme Park View Studio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom