Date Time Hour

Gurt

Hi All,

I am planning our upcoming September trip which there are 3 of us, me, BF and mum, for our 2013 trip we spent all day everyday together which was fine it worked out great and we had a awesome time, however this trip me and the other half would like to have a little bit of time on our own, it hasn't been much discussed as I don't want my mum to feel like we are abandoning her and leaving her on her own, which is what she thought when I 1st mentioned us having time to our selves, I am trying to reassure her that it will just be the odd hour or 2 and we won't 'leave' her for long, and she can do things she wants to do that we might not be as interested in, my mum would happily watch the country bears jamboree half a dozen time in a row where as I happy with 1 showing, my real question in all of this is any suggestions for things for us to do that won't take too much time, we might not get a date night on our own so please, what are your suggestions for an hour or so, such as a certain bench in MK is a nice spot to get an ice cream and people watch, or X @ Disney Springs is a great place to get a cocktail, such a place in Epcot is ideal for sharing a snack, I appreciate there are a lot of threads for date night or date day which I have read but I don't think we will get that much time.

Thanks for reading and your advice :)

CAPTAIN HOOK

You will find that there are simply thousands of things that can be done at WDW that "won't take long".

My take on your post is the guilt that mum will be alone during this time - you've already mentioned that she thought that you will be abandoning her. Surely as a family holiday, the family needs to be together ?

Three is a tricky number anyway. Most rides will only seat two together, putting the third by themselves and my guess is that mum will be alone. For the sake of everyone, surely you can last a few days at Disney without having to dump your mum somewhere while you go off together ?

Upvote 0

Gurt

Original Poster
@CAPTAIN HOOK Maybe I should have been clearer, we will spend 99% of our time together, we have 4 days out of the 14 were we know where we will be but have not made any plans of what to do there that day so, 1 MK, 1 DS, 2 EP, no ADR's no show times etc, so for instance @ DS mum loves shopping, I hate shopping so my thought is to do some shopping with her then when I feel like I would like a break from shopping suggest she carries on to her hearts content and we meet up with her after an hour or so, or at MK she likes to ride Splash a lot but I don't so rather than waiting at the end of the ride suggest that she rides as many times as she wants while we do something else while we wait for her, hopefully that makes more sense than just sounding like I sticking her on a bench and telling her to stay put for a while.

Upvote 0

belledream

Whatever park you're in, let her shop and then grab a snack to share while you people-watch and enjoy a break.

Let her take an air-conditioned nap in the Hall of Presidents while you go ride a ride together that you'd rather just share the experience between yourselves.

It's hard to give you an exact plan and I'm sure when the time comes if you agree to split off for an hour or so, the possibilities inside a Disney park are pretty endless and can be seized spontaneously. :)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Do you all have the same bedtime and wakeup time? If not, you and your BF could go out for a drink after your mother goes to bed, or get up early and have coffee/breakfast together before she gets up. That way you'll have some alone time, but she won't feel like she's missed anything. Also, as others said, simply saying, now and then, "Mom, I know you love to shop -- if you want to check out the stores on Main Street, USA, we're going to grab some ice cream -- meet you in half an hour." As @belledream said, you'll find that opportunities to briefly split up now and then will arise organically, in ways that align with the preferences of everyone in the group. (Also, when it comes to two-seater attractions, do rotate who-sits-with-who, if you can, so your mother won't feel like a third wheel. We're bringing my MIL on our next Disney trip and are already making plans to do the same...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom